Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 09:21 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,835,527 times

Advertisements

If you can stretch your budget I recommend South Pasadena. Excellent schools, great neighborhood and an easy commute to downtown via the Gold Line light rail. You would be limited to condos as SFR'S usually start over 1 million.
228 Monterey Rd Apt C, South Pasadena, CA, 91030
Google this listing for an example of a condo listing. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 10:27 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,045,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
If you can stretch your budget I recommend South Pasadena. Excellent schools, great neighborhood and an easy commute to downtown via the Gold Line light rail. You would be limited to condos as SFR'S usually start over 1 million.
228 Monterey Rd Apt C, South Pasadena, CA, 91030
Google this listing for an example of a condo listing. Good luck!
Respectfully, I love SoPas as much as anyone, but I would not recommend a new arrival stretch their budget by more than 10% to cement themselves into a property/city before they even start working out here. Certainly not for a condo.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:27 PM

10,464 posts, read 7,072,239 times
Try this...

3122 W 76th St, Los Angeles
3bd2ba in 1770 sq.ft.
$699,999
Schools are a 3,4 & 1 (ugh.)

Old 12-01-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Respectfully, I love SoPas as much as anyone, but I would not recommend a new arrival stretch their budget by more than 10% to cement themselves into a property/city before they even start working out here. Certainly not for a condo.
I'm certain the OP can make their own decision about their budgetary goals and lifestyle.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I'm certain the OP can make their own decision about their budgetary goals and lifestyle.
Can she? SHe came to an anonymous board and admitted right off to not knowing how realistic her wants are. I'd say she's starting from a place where she needs to get a realistic baseline of life out here before committing to a living arrangement and budget.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Can she? SHe came to an anonymous board and admitted right off to not knowing how realistic her wants are. I'd say she's starting from a place where she needs to get a realistic baseline of life out here before committing to a living arrangement and budget.
If you want to insult the OP do it directly, don't do it obliquely by responding to a 3rd party post. Again, I'm certain she can think for herself and my recommendation about South Pasaden stands. Only the OP knows what she can and cannot do.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
If you want to insult the OP do it directly, don't do it obliquely by responding to a 3rd party post. Again, I'm certain she can think for herself and my recommendation about South Pasaden stands. Only the OP knows what she can and cannot do.
Why the anger and off-base assumptions?

She registered and posted here with her criteria, so I assume that means what she has decided "she can and cannot do." I simply said that despite all the charms of SoPas, suggesting that she go 10%+ over he budget is probably not prudent advice considering she's never lived here.

No different than when someone suggests Santa Clarita is a good option commute-wise to Santa Monica. It's misleading to a complete LA newbie.

Your advice can stand all it wants...I love SoPas too...whatevs, I guess?

Old 12-03-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Why the anger and off-base assumptions?

She registered and posted here with her criteria, so I assume that means what she has decided "she can and cannot do." I simply said that despite all the charms of SoPas, suggesting that she go 10%+ over he budget is probably not prudent advice considering she's never lived here.

No different than when someone suggests Santa Clarita is a good option commute-wise to Santa Monica. It's misleading to a complete LA newbie.

Your advice can stand all it wants...I love SoPas too...whatevs, I guess?
No misleading "a complete LA newbie" here. Mine was an informative post about an excellent location for the OP. Try to com-pre-bend: the OP will decide for themselves if South Pas is of interest to them. The price tag may make it a non starter for them or maybe their budget can be increased, only they know. Quality of life and commute wise it is a much better recommendation than most of the suggestions.
No one suggested she go 10% over budget, you assumed that. Informing someone of the cost of a condo in South Pas is just that: information.
Again, my recommendation (information) stands.
Ta.....

Old 12-04-2020, 07:44 AM

26,914 posts, read 27,121,348 times
Quote:
Having grown up right around there, I agree. (And the median home price in South Pas is now $1,248,000, according to Zillow.)

Old 12-04-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Having grown up right around there, I agree. (And the median home price in South Pas is now $1,248,000, according to Zillow.)
Careful, someone might stop by to rant at you for simply injecting a little bit of counterpoint/reason into the discussion.

It's funny that all these threads seem to end up this way. New member posts a skeletal list of wants and needs, often it's evident that they haven't done much of their own research first. Then people chime in with responses that don't tick off many of the OP's boxes or are based on outdated info or suggest something unhelpful like South LA. All without much context. OP never returns. >>>Zombie thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles