Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 09:21 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,560,555 times

Advertisements

In the early 2000s, the city started cleaning up Hollyweird.. lots of cool, new development & revitalization (ie- Hollywood & Highland). But it has returned to Hellish form. Garbage, and homeless people camped out all over the streets.
Obviously, Hollywood doesn't represent the whole city, but it's a tourist magnet and could be a showpiece for LA. City just doesn't have the will to keep Hollyweird clean and attractive right now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 09:57 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
that's what you get with the liberal let the homeless do what ever they want. I'm on Portland OR right now, actually Beaverton 7 miles west and my nephews were talking about how filthy Portland has become. They call it a curse word city now. Homeless, trash encampment graffiti are everywhere. Another liberal city.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:16 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
There is a rich irony of someone who lives in Irvine criticizing areas like Pasadena, Beverly Hills, Bel Air and presumably Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Holmby Hills, Brentwood, etc on aesthetics when it comes to homes.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:35 AM

70 posts, read 99,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I mean, It's pretty shocking how dumpy, dirty, run-down most places in LA look. Even the "nice" areas of LA.... have a certain "seen better days" vibe to them...places like Santa Monica, Bev Hills, Bel Air, etc... Granted, those areas are still "nice" but they look....... old...or past their prime.

Not trying to hate on LA at all. Naturally, it has some breath-taking views and nature trails/. Naturally, LA is quite pretty, but the city itself is actually a horrible place. Depressing, trashy, homeless everywhere. Rotted and depleted... I live in Irvine and when I got home yesterday was all the more thankful I don't live anywhere in LA county. Even Pasadena.... Diamond Bar, etc... just look tired. The roads, the parks, the buildings... run down. Venice is another awful area to visit. Used to be a cool/funky/kinda fun/hippy-esque type place....alternative lifestyle type of place. Now, it's a literal toilet.

Sad sad sad. I remember when I was younger 5 to 10 years ago, I though LA was the place to be.... Now, I am so thankful I don't live there. Infrastructure is not maintained. Trash everywhere. Literally driving in the freeways and they're all covered in trash. Homeless encampments everywhere. Oddball nut jobs roaming around like night of the living dead. Truly disgusting. Even the street signs and signs on the freeways are covered in soot and graffiti..... the roads are all super bumpy and worn out. Place just looks so tired and gross....very ugly

Again, sorry, I was just so shocked when I went up to LA yesterday. I was in Pasadena. Griffith/Hollywood are and downtown LA. Also, swung through santa Monica. All of it was underwhelming and has deteriorated so much from the days when I used to go and be enamored by it all. If I had out of town guests visiting me in orange county and I would take them everywhere EXCEPT LA. I would literally be embarrassed... the sheer degradation.... the squalor, the soul-sucking nature of the trash and homeless.. of the run-down nature of it. Like, everyone just gave up....
Cool story, bro.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:18 AM

361 posts, read 837,386 times
You should travel to the north east (NYC.NJ) if you think LA looks old ...

Old 12-26-2020, 09:15 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I mean, It's pretty shocking how dumpy, dirty, run-down most places in LA look. Even the "nice" areas of LA.... have a certain "seen better days" vibe to them...places like Santa Monica, Bev Hills, Bel Air, etc... Granted, those areas are still "nice" but they look....... old...or past their prime.

Not trying to hate on LA at all. Naturally, it has some breath-taking views and nature trails/. Naturally, LA is quite pretty, but the city itself is actually a horrible place. Depressing, trashy, homeless everywhere. Rotted and depleted... I live in Irvine and when I got home yesterday was all the more thankful I don't live anywhere in LA county. Even Pasadena.... Diamond Bar, etc... just look tired. The roads, the parks, the buildings... run down. Venice is another awful area to visit. Used to be a cool/funky/kinda fun/hippy-esque type place....alternative lifestyle type of place. Now, it's a literal toilet.

Sad sad sad. I remember when I was younger 5 to 10 years ago, I though LA was the place to be.... Now, I am so thankful I don't live there. Infrastructure is not maintained. Trash everywhere. Literally driving in the freeways and they're all covered in trash. Homeless encampments everywhere. Oddball nut jobs roaming around like night of the living dead. Truly disgusting. Even the street signs and signs on the freeways are covered in soot and graffiti..... the roads are all super bumpy and worn out. Place just looks so tired and gross....very ugly

Again, sorry, I was just so shocked when I went up to LA yesterday. I was in Pasadena. Griffith/Hollywood are and downtown LA. Also, swung through santa Monica. All of it was underwhelming and has deteriorated so much from the days when I used to go and be enamored by it all. If I had out of town guests visiting me in orange county and I would take them everywhere EXCEPT LA. I would literally be embarrassed... the sheer degradation.... the squalor, the soul-sucking nature of the trash and homeless.. of the run-down nature of it. Like, everyone just gave up....
I live up in the Bay Area but have visited LA a lot so can compare the areas. When considering how "dumpy" something looks, its important to consider 1 - architecture/upkeep and 2 - natural surroundings.

1. Architecture/upkeep - I do agree that parts (not all) of LA look like they've seen better days. I have relatives in the SFV and when I've visited in the past few years, all of those strip malls looked extremely dated and somewhat run down. This isn't unique to the SFV either, as I've seen this a lot of this near the freeways (the 5 south of downtown LA through parts of OC as an example). If I were to compare to other cities, I'd say the sunbelt cities look a bit better in this regard, mainly because they look newer/fresher. Many of the rustbelt cities look worse, but different. Whereas they look like a post industrial apocalypse, LA seems to have more of a 50s/60s vibe that's seen better days. We have some of that here in parts of the Bay Area (San Jose has plenty of strip malls), but its just more extensive/widespread in LA due to sheer size. I would agree that parts of the upscale areas see a little bit of this as well. It just feels like old money in LA that's rested on its laurels vs here in the Bay Area where its more of a mix of new money/innovation. The one exception is downtown LA, which I think has done a nice job with newer architecture/improvement.

2. Natural Surroundings - If you're near the mountains (Pasadena, Beverly Hills) it just gives you a nice backdrop. We have a lot of that here in the Bay Area, where you'll see mountains almost wherever you go, which makes even bleak areas (e.g., parts of Oakland) look nicer in comparison. In LA, it seems that if you're away from the mountains or the immediate coast (which includes most of the LA basin, along with parts of the SFV, SGV and IE), it just seems flat and bleak. When the air is smoggy it makes it seem even worse. It basically looks like it could be in parts of Dallas or Houston, only with more dated architecture.

This isn't a post to knock LA. I really enjoy visiting it and will do so again after COVID is over. But, if I were to ever move there, I feel I'd have to be extremely selective about where I'd want to live.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:35 AM

151 posts, read 113,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
There is a rich irony of someone who lives in Irvine criticizing areas like Pasadena, Beverly Hills, Bel Air and presumably Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Holmby Hills, Brentwood, etc on aesthetics when it comes to homes.
I am not sure I would put Pasadena in the same category as the other areas listed. It seems to me that Pasadena has some issues that those other areas do not.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:42 AM

290 posts, read 369,162 times
If we disregard the homeless and Skid Row, LA isn’t that bad. Have you been to Detroit, Cleveland, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Baltimore? LA is heaven compared to most areas in those cities, even with all the homelessness.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:20 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
You should travel to the north east (NYC.NJ) if you think LA looks old ...

And Boston and Philly look even older.....

Old 12-26-2020, 10:29 AM

70 posts, read 99,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo Para Bellum View Post
I am not sure I would put Pasadena in the same category as the other areas listed. It seems to me that Pasadena has some issues that those other areas do not.
The topic is aesthetics when it comes to houses. If anything Pasadena actually blows those areas out of the water when it comes to architecturally significant housing stock. Pasadena was literally developed as a winter retreat for wealthy industrial magnates.

Green and green were based out of pasadena, along with wallace neff, batchelder, myron hunt, and marston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles