Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 11:40 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Lived in both, and commuted to DTLA (although it was years ago) from both. Lots of traffic from the Westside going to DTLA; I always took side streets. But as nice as South Pas and Pasadena are, there is nothing like the Westside.
I generally agree, but up to a certain point. We found that access to the best restaurant in the southland was nice, but we rarely went (to that "new hit" restaurant) because of wait times (and we're big foodies). Traffic/congestion/parking made the smallest errands frustrating. For what its worth, if the OP's job was in south bay, century city, etc, this wouldn't be a discussion, however give the DTLA commute, I can't see the tradeoffs making sense (and this was a decision we actually made).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 01:12 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
I worked for years downtown and lived in buildings near Wilshire and La Brea. Commute was doable -- the 720 bus wasn't bad -- and the greater Miracle Mile area has a nice non-work (and walkable) vibe. We also stayed at the PE Lofts on Main for a while. That had real pluses and minuses.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 2,400 times
These answers are really helpful but also kind of highlight how I’m conflicted.

1200RT, I can totally see why Pasadena would make sense. The luxury apartments in Pasadena right by Colorado street look really nice, dense but not as hectic as west LA.

CA4now, you said there’s nothing like the west side, and that’s why I’m trying to see if it makes sense at all to live there. Pasadena seems really nice, but it doesn’t seem too different to me than being in Riverside or Redlands, which is fine but I feel like I would get more of the benefits of what LA has to offer being in a more central or west LA location (Also the downsides of traffic and parking too).

Old 05-14-2022, 02:09 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by untapped View Post
CA4now, you said there’s nothing like the west side, and that’s why I’m trying to see if it makes sense at all to live there. Pasadena seems really nice, but it doesn’t seem too different to me than being in Riverside or Redlands, which is fine but I feel like I would get more of the benefits of what LA has to offer being in a more central or west LA location...
We moved from there (Venice) to Pasadena to raise kids. It was more affordable, and a lot of our family lived nearby. But there's nothing like the west side of town: the air, the palm trees, the pace of life. You're young and if you don't have a family yet, go for it, especially if you like the beach. I would think Pasadena's weather would be an improvement over Riverside or Redlands, although those are both nice cities that have a lot more to do for younger people than they did years ago.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:56 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
As a young single 30 something why live in Pasadena or Glendale? Why not DTLA in Little Tokyo, Southpark or the Financial District? Many young people live in the area. There's beautiful apt bldgs new and old. You're within walking distance of restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores and nightlife. The most important thing is your commute will be next to nothing.

Also like others said the Miracle Mile neighborhood would be another excellent choice. Nice walkable area with all the walkable amenities close by. Major subway stop opening in 2024. 24 hr bus service to DTLA and Santa Monica. I use to catch the 720 bus into downtown from Miracle Mile and I can tell you first hand it wasn't 45 minutes. Besides when the subway station opens it will be about a 15-20 minute commute into downtown. If I worked in DTLA for even 3 days I would not live on the Westside.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 2,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
If I worked in DTLA for even 3 days I would not live on the Westside.
Are you considering the Miracle Mile area part of the Westside? What about Culver City?

Old 05-17-2022, 08:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by untapped View Post
Are you considering the Miracle Mile area part of the Westside? What about Culver City?
Not to put words in anyone’s mouth, but there really isnt an official definition for the west side (la cienega or san vicente is a good rule of thumb IMO) . Most locals wouldn’t consider mid wilshire/MM the west side, but Culver City definitely is.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:56 AM

12 posts, read 6,177 times
Driving from west la to downtown is going to get old real quick. You’ll be driving there several days a week. You really want to spend over an hour driving each way? Stick with Pasadena, Glendale, burbank or grungy silverlake which is actually kind of hip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles