Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2023, 11:37 PM

133 posts, read 203,578 times

Advertisements

Ok

So here's the situation:

I work 4 Jobs:

1. North Long Beach (Signal Hill)
2. Orange
3. Costa Mesa
4. Fullerton

All My Jobs are roughly 8a-6p, M-F

My wife works 2 jobs, all 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am (50% day shifts, 50% night shifts), weekdays and weeknights (mix)

2. Fountain Valley OC

We currently rent in Long Beach, want to buy a home

We want:

1. Close to 405
2. Relatively close to LAX
3. Relatively close to Fountain Valley
4. Live in LA County
5. Starter Home
6. Culturally Diverse Neighborhood
7. 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom - 2500-3000 sq feet
8. Budget: 1.5-2M
9. Keep our commute for both of us, within 35-45 min 1 way (particularly wife's commute to Fountain Valley)

We Are

1. Couple in mid 30s
2. Starting a Family with a newborn on the way
3. Liberal
4. Minority
5. Don't Really Care About Schools, since we will likely move out of this starter home in 5 years

Therefore, based on my above analysis, the best fit for us is:

Torrance
Redondo Beach

Thoughts? Suggests? Any other cities?

And if Torrance/Redondo Beach is a correct potential location, any suggestions on which part of these cities, most fit our criteria?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 10:12 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Torrance would be more affordable than Redondo Beach. After the five years is up, are you planning to stay in California or move out of state?

Old 09-06-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Torrance would be more affordable than Redondo Beach. After the five years is up, are you planning to stay in California or move out of state?
Definitely stay here, same area likely too (South Bay).

Will likely just try to move to a bigger home in 5 years and/or better school district

Old 09-06-2023, 01:11 PM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Both meet your requirements in general, but your budget and size requirements are more easily met in Torrance. Torrance has huge Asian communities though the influence is rather subtle. Redondo Beach is going to be wealthier and whiter, and a mix of West L.A. bougie and beach bum vibe. Torrance's vibe is definitely more inland middle-class suburb with a blue collar undercurrent than beach community.

The 405 isn't far away no matter where you are, but obviously it's closer in the northern sections of Redondo and Torrance. The rule of thumb is you want to be west of Western in Torrance though you may as well make that Van Ness as it gets pretty industrial. Of course, there's also the huge industrial complex between 190th and Del Amo. If the possibility of an industrial accident is a concern to you then you might wanna steer clear of any blocks within a half mile of that in any direction.

Old 09-07-2023, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Both meet your requirements in general, but your budget and size requirements are more easily met in Torrance. Torrance has huge Asian communities though the influence is rather subtle. Redondo Beach is going to be wealthier and whiter, and a mix of West L.A. bougie and beach bum vibe. Torrance's vibe is definitely more inland middle-class suburb with a blue collar undercurrent than beach community.

The 405 isn't far away no matter where you are, but obviously it's closer in the northern sections of Redondo and Torrance. The rule of thumb is you want to be west of Western in Torrance though you may as well make that Van Ness as it gets pretty industrial. Of course, there's also the huge industrial complex between 190th and Del Amo. If the possibility of an industrial accident is a concern to you then you might wanna steer clear of any blocks within a half mile of that in any direction.
Very helpful.

Thanks

Any specific parts of Redondo or Torrance you reccomend, that meets our criteria?

Old 09-07-2023, 08:04 AM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Very helpful.

Thanks

Any specific parts of Redondo or Torrance you reccomend, that meets our criteria?

I like the area around Old Town Torrance/Torrance Blvd, and it's much much more affordable than Redondo Beach. But it is not as close to 405 as it is possible. If that access is a priority I think the streets around 182nd are fine too. Honestly, as long as you stay south of Artesia and west of Van Ness you're fine, again with the caveat that if you're right off 190th or Del Amo you're looking pretty much right at an oil refinery. Some people have a problem with that, but it does keep things more affordable than they otherwise would be.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:01 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times
At the risk of sounding like a Negative Nancy, Torrance to FULLERTON? By 8 am on a weekday?! With your wife's hours, the commute is pretty easy, but it would not be easy for you.

I remember you OP from several months ago! Didn't you say that you don't have to go to the office every day?

Isn't there something around the Orange Avenue/Wardlow area in Long Beach that would fit your budget (I've said this without looking it up first)? The area is very diverse and the commute would be much better. If you wanted to stay, the schools are good too (The school on Bixby Avenue is good. I don't know what "minority" means in your case. That school is quite high percentage of Mexican and Filipino, and well rated. So is the middle school next to it. Anyway, just throwing thoughts out there, no daggers please.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
At the risk of sounding like a Negative Nancy, Torrance to FULLERTON? By 8 am on a weekday?! With your wife's hours, the commute is pretty easy, but it would not be easy for you.

I remember you OP from several months ago! Didn't you say that you don't have to go to the office every day?

Isn't there something around the Orange Avenue/Wardlow area in Long Beach that would fit your budget (I've said this without looking it up first)? The area is very diverse and the commute would be much better. If you wanted to stay, the schools are good too (The school on Bixby Avenue is good. I don't know what "minority" means in your case. That school is quite high percentage of Mexican and Filipino, and well rated. So is the middle school next to it. Anyway, just throwing thoughts out there, no daggers please.
Hey!

Very helpful! Yes, moved to Long Beach 1 year ago, now looking to move again next year. Very good memory, that is correct that I have to go into office daily.

Yes, Torrance - Fullerton commute might be tough ugh

Thanks for the tips with LB.

I guess we are wanting to go more west, deeper into LA county....

Old 09-11-2023, 07:29 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Ok

So here's the situation:

I work 4 Jobs:

2. Orange
3. Costa Mesa
4. Fullerton

All My Jobs are roughly 8a-6p, M-F

My wife works 2 jobs, all 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am (50% day shifts, 50% night shifts), weekdays and weeknights (mix)

2. Fountain Valley OC

We currently rent in Long Beach, want to buy a home

We want:

1. Close to 405
2. Relatively close to LAX
3. Relatively close to Fountain Valley
4. Live in LA County
5. Starter Home
6. Culturally Diverse Neighborhood
7. 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom - 2500-3000 sq feet
8. Budget: 1.5-2M
9. Keep our commute for both of us, within 35-45 min 1 way (particularly wife's commute to Fountain Valley)

We Are

1. Couple in mid 30s
2. Starting a Family with a newborn on the way
3. Liberal
4. Minority
5. Don't Really Care About Schools, since we will likely move out of this starter home in 5 years

Therefore, based on my above analysis, the best fit for us is:

Torrance
Redondo Beach

Thoughts? Suggests? Any other cities?

And if Torrance/Redondo Beach is a correct potential location, any suggestions on which part of these cities, most fit our criteria?

Thanks!
It seems to me that your job situation heavily favors living in north OC. But, I get the impression that political/tribal considerations make you averse to living in OC. It may be worth pointing out that OC did vote Democrat in the last two Presidential elections. And, north OC is really not right-leaning. So, you may want to consider Orange area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles