Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Let me just state this uncategorically, clearly, and absolutely plainly.

Struggling in L.A. is one of the most depressing, stressful, and difficult to escape things in a first world country. It isn't fun. Your support network becomes stressed very quickly. If you don't have money, it is very hard.

Conversely, the notion of L.A. as dangerous is kind of old news. It's a major metropolitan area, so sure it has it's share of crimes and violence, but it's tamed considerably since it's "glory days." In the five years I've been out here I've not been the victim of violence or theft once. In Phoenix, Arizona, prior to living here, I dealt with numerous small incidents. If your city-wise, and I presume you are if you live in London, crime is not really an issue.

For everything else, I refer you here.
you know what, here we are, all giving her advise and look how old the thread is, I would bet she never got here, what do you think? I also agree with you. Some people do see things through rose colored glasses, like you can find a nice apartment for under x dollars or recommending various places to live that some thing are safe. I see the same thing when people talk about living in places like DC. I know we all see "nice" in a different way or see how much it costs to live differently, but too many are not realistic. There is more to surviving than paying rent and buying food.

Now I would love to know what happened to her and if she ever got to L.A. I rather doubt it.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,766 times
Exclamation do I need to be 18 to move to LA?

I'm 17 years old, 18 end of April, and my boyfriendismoving to LA in March as he has been offered a Motocross sponsorship and he will be returning to Cardiff in January 2011. He already has an apartment lined up, and he will be earnin enough money per week to support the both of us for upto a month! I really want to go as i can't let him move to another country as i dont want to lose him .. Does anyone know if i need to be 18 and have a profession? I am a qualified Air Sterwardess. I will need to know about Visa's and other documentation i will need? any ideas? please help! I need to make my desicsion asap! *URGENT*

thanks xx

Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelanne123 View Post
I'm 17 years old, 18 end of April, and my boyfriendismoving to LA in March as he has been offered a Motocross sponsorship and he will be returning to Cardiff in January 2011. He already has an apartment lined up, and he will be earnin enough money per week to support the both of us for upto a month! I really want to go as i can't let him move to another country as i dont want to lose him .. Does anyone know if i need to be 18 and have a profession? I am a qualified Air Sterwardess. I will need to know about Visa's and other documentation i will need? any ideas? please help! I need to make my desicsion asap! *URGENT*

thanks xx
I think you have to get a work visa and what is a qualified air Stewarddess? Do you mean a flight attendent? If so, I am pretty sure no company in America will hire you at your age plus your would have no guarantee of being stationed in the L.A. area. I can pretty much assure you, getting a job, will be almost impossible, but the first thing you need to do is talk to the embassy.. Good luck,

Nita

Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 13,050 times
Since you are used to living in a less desirable area of London, then you should be pretty street smart despite your youth. At the same time, we wouldn't want to point you towards any area that presents excessive danger to someone who doesn't know how to navigate L.A. You might think about the San Fernando Valley, which is just over the hill (10 minutes by subway) and NoHo Arts District is its hub of transportation and culture. Now be forewarned....despite its suburban charm and recent expansion and construction, even NoHo may seem too tranquil to the street savvy city girl. So try Hollywood....in the daylight at first!...and by all means, the Westside area. Mid-Wilshire is full of culture....The historical Wiltern Theatre and a plethora of vintage apartments at bargain prices. There are jobs here, but you have to be open-minded. Waiting tables is still a respected day gig for artists, but if you love talking on the phone, you could earn a living slinging packaging tape or auto warranties instead of hamburgers. Just depends on where your talents lie. Now all of this is just temporary of course, until you find your niche within your own industry. Whatever you decide, know that Americans in general are pretty friendly folk. You would do well in any job that has you talking to people because we do love that accent. Yeah yeah, I know...as a Brit girlfriend once informed me....WE are the ones with the accent. LOL Good luck to you!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM

361 posts, read 837,916 times
Hi,
I'm 28 years old working actually in the IT industry in France.
I always wanted to move to LA, do you think it would be a good thing to take 2-3months vacations to make some contacts (work & friends) there ?
Is it easy to meet people, make friends and how would u do it ?
Money wouldn't be an issue as i can get 10 weeks paid vacations/year.
I also considered Australia but cost of living is way higher in Sydney than LA and I prefer the Californian mindset.
Regards,
Manu

Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM

304 posts, read 931,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcxpebbles View Post
Hi im an 18 year old girl, recently qualified in Beauty therapy and i want to move to LA to get away from London. I am looking at studying Special effects Make-up in La. Im going to move with my freind who is also 18 and is a beauty therapist. We live in quite a bad part of london so were both used to violence, gangs etc. and the area we live in is mainly a caribbean, asian, eastern european community, so being 2 white girls we're used to being the minority race.
I was wondering if anyone could help us, on where to start. how much in general does it cost to live in La? What would be our problems with moving there? Is it easy to find work? places to live? study?
All opinions welcome. I'l just be gald to get any realistic feedback. Thanks

Charlotte

x

You simply must have a job when you get here. Beauty therapy is popular here when times are good. The downturn has hit that industry hard.

You must save as much as you possibly can to live here. One bedroom apts in a modest but ok neighborhood can easily be $1300+ a month.

There are many offerings on Craigslist that are horrible! (where people have turned their homes into dorm troop ships). Affordable housing is a big issue here: there isn't much. And fake jobs that dont exist are offfered there also. CL is a great thing for used furniture and such.

At your age you might find a way to go to school here so you can have people of studious, self improvement mind around you. Then referrals for work are more likely to be real.

We can talk more if you like but the most important thing I would say is to be creative, plan ahead including your visa status, and save save save. Then when you get here you will enjoy it. It is a phenomenal area

Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcxpebbles View Post
Hi im an 18 year old girl, recently qualified in Beauty therapy and i want to move to LA to get away from London. I am looking at studying Special effects Make-up in La. Im going to move with my freind who is also 18 and is a beauty therapist. We live in quite a bad part of london so were both used to violence, gangs etc. and the area we live in is mainly a caribbean, asian, eastern european community, so being 2 white girls we're used to being the minority race.
I was wondering if anyone could help us, on where to start. how much in general does it cost to live in La? What would be our problems with moving there? Is it easy to find work? places to live? study?
All opinions welcome. I'l just be gald to get any realistic feedback. Thanks

Charlotte

x
I wouldn't recommend moving to a place you've never been or don't really know. Why not just visit the campus and scope the areas nearby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles