Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Guys,

Have not been out to LA in 5 years. I am sure a ton has changed. I am coming out to town for a week in mid July on a budget with my wife. I need some recs on any cheap boutique hotels with parking included but still nice. As an example, the Seaside Motel in Santa Monica seemed decent (we're early 30's yuppies). What does a typical flight cost from the east coast. I remember when round trips could be had for under 300, but 400 is looking like the best deal now.

I have been to CA many times, but my wife has never been. If we only have 4 days in LA, please name the top 10 things I should take her to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Guys,

Have not been out to LA in 5 years. I am sure a ton has changed. I am coming out to town for a week in mid July on a budget with my wife. I need some recs on any cheap boutique hotels with parking included but still nice. As an example, the Seaside Motel in Santa Monica seemed decent (we're early 30's yuppies). What does a typical flight cost from the east coast. I remember when round trips could be had for under 300, but 400 is looking like the best deal now.

I have been to CA many times, but my wife has never been. If we only have 4 days in LA, please name the top 10 things I should take her to see.
Bump...no help guys?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
1/ Getty Museum
2/ The beaches: Santa Monica Boardwalk, Malibu
3/ Hollywood Walk of Fame
4/ Universal Studios, Citywalk
5/ Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive
6/ Downtown LA
7/ LACMA
8/ Old Town Pasadena

Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 PM

171 posts, read 530,646 times
I don't really understand why people want to know what the top attractions are in L.A. that they should see. Everyone is different, so what one person would like another wouldn't. Some people don't like the beach, some people hate museums, etc.

If I were going to visit somewhere I've been before, or had never been to, I would do some research on the location and decide for myself since I know what type of things I like better than anyone else.

And I'm not sure the words cheap and boutique should be in the same sentence. Prices for hotels and flights can be found online also. You can get up to date accurate information that way.

And why say you are yuppies? The only thing that signifies to me is that you either have money or want peope to think you do. You're a young urban professional yet you want cheap? Sounds phony to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Guys,

Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
What you should see depends on your interests. For example, people always recommend the Getty but I personally have no interest in it. Not sure what "cheap" means to you motel wise. July is prime time so anything in the more popular areas will be high. And where you stay will depend on what you want to see/do. For example, if you want to be within walking distance of restaurants/bars/clubs. California has one of the toughest drunk driving laws in the nation so if you're going to drink, do not drive. You might check out hotel reviews on the TripAdvisor website.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
Places to see.

Museums: LACMA (free 2nd Tues of the month), Getty Center free, Norton Simon, MOCA (free Thurs after 5pm)

Views of the City: Griffith Park Observatory, Baldwin Hills Overlook or Kenneth Hahn Park, Mulholland Dr, Getty Center

Shopping: The Grove, 3rd Street Promenade for national retailers, also Melrose, Beverly Center or Rodeo Drive

Touristy: Hollywood Walk of Fame, Hollywood/Highland complex, Graumans, Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive,

Day Trips to Santa Barbara or Catalina Island or San Diego.

Things haven't changed that much in 5 years. There are new light rails, a new Grand Park at Civic Center, LA Live, and lots of construction taking place mostly in Downtown and Hollywood and other areas here and there.

In the summer there are generally lots of concerts around with some free and outdoors weekend ones like Pershing Square and Cal Plaza in Downtown.

You may also want to consider seeing the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Aquarium of the Pacific also in Long Beach, The LA Zoo,

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Fares are slowly climbing but we use Virgin America, JFK to LAX. Good service, reasonable fares. It is at about 198 now, but don't wait. In my experience they will not be going down from now til summer.

BTW, we do VRBO.com rentals for our stays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles