Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 AM

164 posts, read 606,797 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I'm planning on moving in Aug 1, doing a scouting trip to LA in the 3rd week of July to find an apartment. Looking for a 1 bedroom w/ parking.

After looking at the listings on westsiderentals and craigslist, it seems like the places in my price range cluster around the following areas:

WeHo: Fairfax between Santa Monica & Melrose
WeHo: Sunset, west of La Brea (Hawthorn)
WeHo: Fairfax and Sunset

Hollywood: North of Franklin, east of Cahuenga

Los Feliz: Between Franklin & Hollywood, and between Western & Vermont

Silverlake: Los Feliz and Riverside

Any thoughts on these areas in terms of suitability for someone like me? After doing a search on these forums, it seems like these specific areas are fine, but just wanted to make sure I'm searching the areas I think I'm looking for (i.e. nothing palatial - just not too seedy).

I am a:

- single guy, straight, early 30s
- "day job" working from home
- arty (actor, screenwriter, musician -- hence the move to LA hahaha)
- want the least inconvenient location for access to studios, production offices, agencies (I know traffic sucks, but I'd like a place that sucks the least for the places I will be driving to)
- clubbing days now a rarity, although still a night owl and like a neighborhood that is still awake at night
- favorite social places: dive bars (and its sister, "dive" restaurants that serve good but inexpensive food), coffee shops, parks/beaches for people watching
- prefer walking/biking to run day-to-day errands: bank, groceries, post office, book store, etc.
- budget: $1,150 - $1,300 for a 1 bedroom (most of the listings seem to be around $1,200 - $1,400)

Are there any other areas I should be looking at?

Mid-Wilshire area seems to have places in my budget, but it seems a little nondescript. True?

Also, I've heard about Culver City, but how's the traffic in and out of there to Hollywood, Burbank, Studio City, etc?

I've been to LA before a number of times, but never for long, and it's been a few years. Anyhow, I know that I'll have a better idea when I get here, but I'd like to get as much info as I can before my scouting trip in July so I can make most of my time.

Thanks in advance! Glad I found this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
From your list: I would say that WeHo Sunset, WeHo Fairfax and Hollywood would be your best choices. Studios are in Culver City, Burbank and Hollywood so those areas shoud get you somewhat in the middle. If you are near Santa Monica and La Brea, you should be able to take care of most of your "walking needs". Culver City would be best for that as well; however, you will have to commute to the majority of the studios, only three are in or near Culver City. Good Luck.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Not to hijack the thread, but I was just curious, CEspeed, about why Arkansas? Is it one of those newly-developing areas you see advertised on TV? What about the weather difference from SoCal? I've seen some of your other reasons for wanting to leave CA, I was just wondering about that particular destination.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I was just curious, CEspeed, about why Arkansas? Is it one of those newly-developing areas you see advertised on TV? What about the weather difference from SoCal? I've seen some of your other reasons for wanting to leave CA, I was just wondering about that particular destination.
Have you not heard of the Direct Message function???

Anyways, back to the OP's questions, all the areas you mentioned are nice areas. The sketchiest area you mentioned is the Los Feliz location, but that is only if you're closer to Western than Vermont and closer to Franklin than Hollywood. The intersection of Franklin and Vermont is in the Los Feliz Village, which is a very nice area with many shops, restaurants, and bars. The Silverlake interstection that you mentioned really isn't in Silverlake, that area is still considered Los Feliz. Silverlake is the area around Sunset Blvd east of Los Feliz.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Hey thanks everyone who responded so far! Very helpful.

Looks like WeHo has the most listings (probably the most apartments compared to all the neighborhoods I'm looking at).

Did a quick search for Culver City / Palms -- seems like most of the apartments in my budget are in that 405-10-Venice triangle -- heard it's a little sketchy, but I'll certainly drive by there when I'm in town in July. I assume that most of the area businesses are along Venice?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 PM

Palms and Culver City aren't that sketchy, they're just not the most interesting parts of LA. Culver City does have a nice little downtown area, with some good restaurants and a theater, but Palms really is lacking as far as enterainment and dining options. However, Palms does neighbor Culver City and certain parts are within walking distance of downtown Culver City. The sketchy areas don't really start until you get east of Robertson, then it starts to get really sketchy east of La Cienega.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
One of the best kept secrets is east of Cahuenga above Franklin. It's part of the Hollywood Hills and it's gorgeous. There are a lot of neighborhoods (Camrose, Whitley Heights, Hollywood Heights...) that are some of the nicest in the city. Be lucky if you find a place there.

The WeHo neighborhoods you mention are all fine.
Culver City has Sony but doesn't seem to have a soul yet. You might like it.

The part of Los Feliz you mention is the most affordable spot in LF and has some cool buildings but make sure you get off street parking or walking 1/2 mile to your apartment could happen about twice a week for street cleaning. Walking distance to Franklin Village and Los Feliz Village make it a great spot.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 PM

92 posts, read 409,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Have you not heard of the Direct Message function???

Anyways, back to the OP's questions, all the areas you mentioned are nice areas. The sketchiest area you mentioned is the Los Feliz location, but that is only if you're closer to Western than Vermont and closer to Franklin than Hollywood. The intersection of Franklin and Vermont is in the Los Feliz Village, which is a very nice area with many shops, restaurants, and bars. The Silverlake interstection that you mentioned really isn't in Silverlake, that area is still considered Los Feliz. Silverlake is the area around Sunset Blvd east of Los Feliz.
I live in that part of Los Feliz and personally think it is fine. Like Sorcerer said, just make sure to get somewhere with parking. That can be kind of a nightmare.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!

Sorcerer68, I saw a few listings north of Franklin and east of Cahuenga - I'll definitely have to check it out!

Now, I'm really excited to move!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm going to bring a mountain bike - I've heard that it's possible to get around locally on a bike for fun and to run errands and such, and to save the car/gas for times when I really need it.

Also, how about stuff like tv/internet, and cell phone plans? Seems like timewarner is the biggest, and T-Mobile or Verizon having the best cell phone plans/coverage in the area (don't need an iPhone or Blackberry).

Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 PM

one of the benefits of living in a dense yet nice neighborhood is wireless internet. all you need is a wireless adapter/card for your computer and you'll probably have dozens of wireless networks to connect to in your area without paying a cent. this doesn't work everywhere, but it is certainly nice when it does. i don't condone this type of behavior, as it can be considered stealing, but you gotta do what you gotta do :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles