Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 AM

3 posts, read 4,039 times

Advertisements

One of my good friends got a fix it tickit for no DL? He is currently on a suspended DL because he has not finish paying off some fines i think he got when he got a DUI in 2006. I am not sure if it the same fines from the DUI but that what he told me. Since he does not really even have a chance to get is DL back tell after he pays his fines. WHat should he do? live in Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Not sure I understand the question.

First of all, what was he cited for? This is very important, because:

What is the actual cause of the 40509.5vc DMV hold/ or suspension?

None of this sounds 100% accurate.

Heres the breakdown of what could have happened here:

Cited for:
12500(a) - Unlawful to Drive Unless Licensed (No License) -- officers cannot check correctable
12500(a) - Unlawful to Drive Unless Licensed (Expired License) -- officers CAN check correctable

14601(a) - Driving When Suspended or Revoked -- officers cannot check correctable

Basically -- you don't get to "correct" driving on suspended license. Bottom line, not sure I 100% I believe the story, unless there is more info??

Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM

He has had no License since 2006 when he got a DUI. Since then he was driving home from work one day a CHP pulled him over because he could not see his tags, the license plate was covering it and that he thought they might be out of date. . That is what the officer said anyway but when he told me the store i could see his tages clear as day. It does not make since because the color of car tags change every year so the officer should of be able to tell that his tags where up to date.. He told the officer he had no Driver License and or insurance. The officer then told him to hold on, when the officer return from his car he said that he would issue him a fix it tickit for no driver license. I seen the fix it tickit so i know that part is true but how is he going get the tickit writen off when he already has fines on him that are holding him back from getting is License.

So my question is since he not able to get his license back which will enable him to get the tickit writen off . What is going to happen with tickit? Since he cant get his License back tell after the fines are payed which by that time it will be well over due, will it just turn into a fine and he will have to pay like 900$ plus whatever else he may owe?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Impossible question to answer without knowing which vehicle code he was cited for violating.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM

He was cited for no Driver License? But the officer said he pull him over for tages? But then gave him a tickit for no License? What vehicle code for no DL or insurance?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM

..... I posted it above ...... 12500(a), which is NOT correctable, unless the person's license is valid, but expired. CHP, who's primary job function is traffic enforcement, knows this.

Either way, your 'friend', needs to pay his debts .... but I really need to know what the VC was, or I can't help.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
what??? no no no. well not "no" necesarily, but if you got to go to the central traffic court in LA. its quite different.

here is how it goes in LA, centrl court... the one on hill.

the judge wont hear your side of the story till you set another court date, after your initial court date. you might go in prepared, but you are only there for one reason. pay or get another court date.

so what you do is get a court date, once you have said date, make sure the teller gives you an abstract to ensure that all agencies are aware of your court date and dont proceed with suspending your license or issuing a warrant.

once you have a court date set and an abstract(small 10$ piece of paper) you show up to court. you go to the 3rd floor or wherever. line up where it says "english". have a copy of your ticket. they will request your ticket to place you in order of appearance. once they do that they proceed to file you into the court room, then they play musical chairs and shift people around. non english speakers go last...or first. dont remember.

the judge will then tell you what you can do. and really you are only at court on this day to enter a plea of

GUILTY
NOT GUILTY
NO CONTEST

they really disuade you from fighting your case, so unless you have a really tight case, IT MIGHT BE A BIG GAMBLE. they prefer that you enter a guilty plea and if you do, the bail amount is reduced to 100 dollars from 808(depending on the judge). but the catch is that since you have already wasted the courts time they increase the fine by 240%, so even if the judge says 100$, you pay 258 or something after fees and such.

the bad thing is that even if you enter a not guilty plea, and are given another court date, you are STILL required to pay the bail amount(808$) and if you happen to lose in court then that turns into 240%. so it is guna be more than 2,000$!!! in the end.

if you have all the proper documentation and feel you can honestly and definitively win your case then proceed and gamble.

but the problem is that even after your extention you failed to take the ticket to the court. thats guna be your downfall. you might have an understanding judge, but thats the gamble.

i was in a very similar situation. i was mis informed by DMV and even the court on how to fully take care of this ticket. i had my tags verified by the right people. there were just some miscommunications. the courts, cops and DMV are a bit screwed up and make it a bit hard and cofusing. at least they did for me. i thought i did everything right, but i was wrong. in the end i realised that not presenting my ticket to the court on time was my fault. i didnt do it. and aside from death or hospital stays it will be hard for you to convince the judge that it just "slipped" your mind. they heard it all. you better have a good story.

either way good luck. but this also drags the ordeal into months and months and months.
I went to the one on hill for this exact reason and it went fine and I'm BLACK! In general, he'll be alright.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 PM

..... that was from '08. They've changed the subject a few times since then

Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM

193 posts, read 309,933 times
Tell him to get a good dark tan dye his hair black and take a spanish sirname and claim he has no legal papers to be in the U.S. and he will never be bothered by our racist laws.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,134 times
I had the same thing happen to me in pittsburg ca. The told me that once it goes to collection I can not appear in court I have to pay the full 875.00 to get my license back. I am so stuck. they said even if I do payment arraignments I cant get the license back until it is payed in full
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles