Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,244 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 23 yr old starting my first job, I am originally from the Midwest but will be relocating to California soon. My territory will either be the San Fran and Sacramento area, or LA and San Diego. Most all of my time will be spent on the road visiting customers ( I can leave at my own desired time) or working out of my house. I have only visited CA once on vacation and am very pulled on what territory I should try to get.

Here are some questions I would LOVE to have answered...

1. Coming from anyone who has driven in both areas how much worse is LA traffic compared to Northern Cal?

2. What major pluses and minuses are there between the north and south?

3. Thinking long term (future wife, kids, purchase of a house) makes more sense?

4. Anything you think might help!!!

Thank you very much for any advice you can give, it's very much needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 05:53 PM

186 posts, read 659,797 times
I grew up in Los Angeles, but went to college near San Francisco. Hands down live in Northern California if you are able to do so. The only reason to live in Southern California is if you LOVE the beach and your idea of happiness is playing beach volleyball or similar.

1. LA. has bigger and better planned freeways. SF is geographically difficult and is older, so there are lot of smaller freesways and bridges to deal with. This exacerbates traffic.

2. The north is prettier, it's better educated, it's not as hot, it's not as crowded (except for SF). The South has a better beach culture, except for Santa Cruz. The South is closer to Mexico.

3. LA/OC is cheaper than the SF bay area for housing. As far as finding a wife, it depends on what kind of wife you want. I think both are good for dating.

4. L.A. has the entertainment industry, which is a huge influence. This draws a lot of people.

If you are from the midwest, you might find Northern California to be more familiar as the people seem more reserved and less likely to emulate the entertainment figures they see on TV and in the streets.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:08 PM

18 posts, read 106,382 times
I grew up in Sacramento went spent 6 yrs in the military and college in Wichita, KS, went to Grad school in Dallas Tx (2yrs), and worked in LA (4yrs).

Sacramento and the Central Valley is as close to the midwest as your going to get in California. If your looking for a blend of Metropolitan and midwest values the SF/Sacramento territory makes more sense. If you can live in Sacramento and commute into SF (1.5hrs away by car or commuter train), you could live a relatively affordable lifestyle by California standards.

On the other hand if you want to experience a completly different pace of life and culture, go with SoCal. It will be expensive but its an experience that's hard to get anywhere else in the country.

You could always go with NoCal and visit SoCal on your vacations. Its only a 1 hour flight from SF or Sacramento on Southwest and about $150.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 PM

137 posts, read 602,842 times
I lived in both areas. On average LA may have worse traffic, but SF can get pretty ugly in certain areas.

For your wife, if your playing mere odds, I hear that the Silicon Valley has the highest male to female ratio; so LA wins there.

What do you do for a living? I think the answer may/will/shold play a larger role in your decision making.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2525 View Post
Here are some questions I would LOVE to have answered...

1. Coming from anyone who has driven in both areas how much worse is LA traffic compared to Northern Cal?

I haven't driven much in SF but Sacramento was great. I fell out laughing at what my former father-in-law called heavy traffic. Sacramento is by far greener and more laid back than SF but SF has its charms as well.

2. What major pluses and minuses are there between the north and south?

North green and relaxed. South becoming more concrete everyday and fast paced.

3. Thinking long term (future wife, kids, purchase of a house) makes more sense?

Outside of SF housing is more affordable in the North than South. People in the South are so busy tryng to have careers they don't really take time to create families and when they do, the children are more of an accessory than family.

4. Anything you think might help!!!

If you have the choice, choose No Cal.

Thank you very much for any advice you can give, it's very much needed!
Northern California will offer you more of what you are used to vs. Southern California.

Good Luck

Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
IMO, Sacramento, San Francisco and SoCal are completely different. I agree that Sacramento probably better reflects a Midwestern lifestyle. I've spent a lot of time in SFO / Silicon Valley and it is nothing like the Midwest. Far more east coast, liberal culture. Moving south of SFO becomes a little more moderate, but not much and the housing is on the level of LA, but with more widespread high-value areas.

The major traffic difference, again IMO, is that there is major traffic congestion on the freeway feeder roads. There is some of this in LA, but not nearly like the SFO / Silicon Valley areas. Rush hour is comparable in both cities. LA's congestion is just more constant.

As far as jobs, Sacramento would provide the fewest long term options.

What I find interesting is that I have many colleagues from NorCal who come to LA on vacation. But know very few friends in LA who view SFO as a vacation spot. Rather, a 3-day weekend kinda place.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 34,320 times
I'd say alot depends on your preference. If you like fast paced action, Los Angeles would probably suit you best. There is alot more going on in L.A., so it's alot more hectic. Also, you have to love hispanics if you wanna live in L.A.. Being a friggen sanctuary city, it is completely overrun with illegals.

If you want a little more relaxing environment, you'll want NoCal. People are alot less agressive altho they are as far left as you can go. If your a devote republican, you might find the mentality a bit unbearable. S.F. is like the liberal capitol of the country, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles