Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 PM

12 posts, read 47,520 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to LA early next year. I am a photographer, just graduated from college on the east coast. I have lived in fresno before, and have been to LA many times, so I know what is in store for me as far as crime and what not... But I was wondering about getting a job. Does size determine pretty much everything in la? I am not thin, but I am not expecting to be a model or super star actress, I just want to be a successful photographer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 PM

32 posts, read 171,437 times
I doubt your weight will be a factor in your photography career.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 PM

92 posts, read 257,070 times
Yeah, I highly doubt it will matter if you're a photographer.

I'm an actor, so I have to be thin (I'm not) and I'm panicking about that.

My advice: if you're in a profession where you don't have to worry about it, don't.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM

12 posts, read 47,520 times
Ya.. I'm hoping they just don't care as much.

As far as being thin and wanting to be an actress/actor.. I think you would get more jobs being thin, but I think there are jobs for bigger people too. Every movie or tv show, needs some bigger people... You could make a statement about how things are...

Old 08-28-2008, 04:35 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,866 times
There are successful, happy-looking people of every size, shape and color around here. You'll be fine.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,543 times
Are you serious..?!

Of course not pal!

Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM

129 posts, read 663,091 times
No, you *have* to be thin and good looking. It's a requirement. Also - beauty is not in the eye of the beholder. Looking like a heart throb celebrity also will help.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
No, you *have* to be thin and good looking. It's a requirement. Also - beauty is not in the eye of the beholder. Looking like a heart throb celebrity also will help.
I think they're building checkpoints at the airports and Interstates to check for fat people and keep them out.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,998 times
well as an actor, they like skinny people. but its not a requirement.
if you want to be a photographer you can be any size.

but keep in mind that people do have prejudices against fat people. theyre lazy, they cost more to insure, they eat all the food in the lunch room. etc etc. you might have to deal with such ignorance if you are tryin to make it in the hollywood industry.

they prefer good lookin people.

at the end of the day the quality of your work should speak for itself. but a cute face and slim waist does open more doors.

dont worry, there are enough big bonded people here

Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 PM

186 posts, read 659,585 times
I have no knowledge of the photography business, but this I can tell you as DH and my SIL have many years of recruiting experience: There are definitely companies out there that look for someone who will "fit" with their "environment." The will not hire people of certain ethnic backgrounds, of certain ages, of certain "hipness" levels because they do not think they will "blend" with the people already in the company. Many companies have a "corporate culture" and if they think you won't fit in you probably won't get hired. I couldn't say how much weight is a factor in that it would be considered along with everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles