Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 PM

64 posts, read 133,977 times

Advertisements

I've been around the world, and Angelenos are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. maybe it's just me? People in Detroit, Chicago, Miami, NEW YORK are all rude compared to people in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,927 times
Haha, but I loooove LA you guys!

Acting is definitely something I've been pursuing for a while, I live in the Hollywood-ish area in a nice neighborhood. You should defintely think about Santa Monica, Venice, Burbank, Culver City. That's what I love about LA is that there's so many options for living.

And yea, LA people might be a little ick sometimes, but they amuse me! Hehe..

Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM

64 posts, read 133,977 times
Santa Monica is kind of far from all of the castings.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:37 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
You want to live in Burbank. It's near a lot of the castings (because of the studios in burbank as well as the nearby studios in studio city and Hollywood is not too far from there either), most people are nice there and their schools are better than average. Rent isn't the cheapest but it's not the most expensive either. Good Luck.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:35 AM

206 posts, read 439,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelChick View Post
I've been around the world, and Angelenos are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. maybe it's just me? People in Detroit, Chicago, Miami, NEW YORK are all rude compared to people in LA.
I find that hard to believe. Your post almost sounds like the South bashing the North again.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:51 AM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
Default Good luck...seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSky View Post
I know this sounds like a cliche, but I want to move to LA and pick up some comedic acting work. I just want to start over again somewhere new. I have one child and I am divorced. Where are the best places to live if you have a child and want to act? Is it really that hard to find acting jobs? I'll be coming from the east coast. Are people really friendly in LA?
I think that the best move would be to establish yourself where you are. Build a reputation, get on youtube, see what kind of responses that you get, perfect your craft. Once you get training, experience and a following, you have a better chance of success.

Without doing the above,be prepared in LA:
To work multiple jobs, while still trying to break into acting
To not see your child because of all the work you must do
To be frustrated that you can't make auditions because you have to work
To live in mediocre housing unless you have a very good paying job
YES, IT REALLY IS THAT HARD TO FIND ACTING JOBS--EVERYONE IN THE CITY THINKS THEY ARE/SHOULD BE AN ACTOR
To have a HUGE amount of friends... unreliable, narcissistic, what can you do for me friends (especially when compared to other parts of the country)
No, people are not very friendly, and tend to be very clique-ish, unless you can do something for them. Road rage is rampant, people are superficially friendly, very self-serving, not generous or thoughtful.
To put your child in a private school, or suffer the LA school system with massive funding cuts and hugh class sizes because of CA's fiscal crisis.

Honestly, I hate to be the bearer of reality, but this is an absolute crap shoot (meaning very risky). There is an exodus out of CA now, a lot of people are out of work. The quality of east/west coast life is very different, unless you are financially very comfortable.

I've lived on both coasts, know the "industry" and have an expert's knowledge/understanding on the psychological facets of the city. I am not an actor, but work intimately with them.

The bottom line, is to trust yourself and what you have to do, while being as aware and prepared as you can possibly be of what you are getting yourself and your child into. No one cares that you are here, no one will want to help you. The industry is harsh, and you will have to work your butt off. I don't know how old your child is, but your relationship and the time you spend with them is critical. If you're working endlessly and schlepping all over the city to auditions (traffic is insane here ... 15 mins can take 2 hours), you'll have little time.

I know that I'll probably hear numerous responses to the contrary about LA, so keep in mind that I am making BROAD sweeping generalizations about the people...(but not about the industry). Each city has it's own personality, much like people. There are kind people and crazy people in all cities, but the homeless population is very high here.

Whatever you decide, protect yourself and your child, and proceed carefully. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. This is not a city to be naive in.

Now, all the above being said...LA has some pretty nice beaches, and the diversity is amazing. The weather is almost always good.

The only way you can know is to visit and to do your very grounded homework on the realities of what you are embarking.

Best of luck to you.

I sincerely hope you realize your dreams, wherever they manifest.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:21 AM

79 posts, read 170,855 times
I think the move is worth taking a chance, go for it, pursue you goal or dream to be in acting. If you happen to do any stand up comedic work, go to the "The Comedy Store" & "The Laugh Factory", on Monday nights they used to have amateur night, they would give almost anyone a 15 minute chance to go on stage, I don't know if they still do that, try to get a job at NBC or CBS, on some of their game shows, like "The Price Is Right", there are jobs that are behind the scenes, like checking in people for the audience on the day of the show and do the same for "The Tonight Show", apply for work on the TYRA show helping with crowd control and assisting the audience, at least try to get near that circle, you never know who you will have the opportunity to talk to in those environments. You want have any problem finding micsellaneous extra work, again if you are a very determined go getter something could possibly come out of an extra gig, I don't want to mislead you, just please realize that the TALENT and BEAUTY is so fierce and competitive in that industry out here that you WILL have to some favors for people who are higher up to get even some consideration, because as I have said there is not a shortage of TALENT and BEAUTY out here.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:39 AM

79 posts, read 170,855 times
I really agree to all of your comments and advice that you offered to the lady who is thinking of moving here and getting into acting, you are SO, SO RIGHT, about "this is not the city to be naive in". EXAMPLE: Be very watchful about EVERYTHING, if someone is walking towards you for any reason, sometimes to ask for some change walk away or get in your car really fast, don't even try to be polite and see what they want to ask you for, you don't give a darn what they have to say, because you can't help them, don't take a chance they don't mean you any good so there is no need to hear what they have to say, be very aware at all times.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on that one unless you're talking about Los Feliz, where the people are slightly nicer than elsewhere in LA probably because that area preserves somewhat of a human scale. Most wealthy areas in LA are downright hostile. LA in general is a hostile, unfriendly place filled with rude people, and this goes for all economic levels, ethnicities, classes, races, and religions.
Not really true when I moved to Malibu I did not know anyone in my area at all and my kids also had no friends locally. Now we have literally hundreds of friends especially the kids who I would never find if they did not have mobile phones.
I find California much more friendly than London for instance where you can live for years on the same street and never be invited round for drinks.
All this is nonsense about so called “stuck up” areas.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 PM

23 posts, read 62,661 times
Don't do it! The public schools are terrible, the air is poison and brown, the state is bankrupt, they are cutting police officers and teachers, taxes are high and rising, etc. Not to mention that many Angelinos are rude, self absorbed snobs. My wife is an actress who has been knocking on the door for years. She's talented, but the roulette ball hasn't hit her number yet. We pay $1000/mo for a garage that was advertised as a guest house. And guess what? It's a fair deal. We live in a fairly safe neighborhood. I don't mean to be a spoil sport, but you should probably forget about the glitz, glam, and destructive lifestyle of an actress, save money, and send your kid to college. Your life will be more fulfilling. It's a sad thing to see all these people trying to "make it" while being doomed to scraping pennies for rent. Trust me, you're better off where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles