Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,617 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Korea Town, everyone told me not to do it because it wasn't safe here. However, the area has continuously improved over the past ten years and I have had less problems here than many other places that are considered "safe."

I suggest that you visit the area first for at least a few days and go to the various buildings where you might consider buying a live/work space at various times of day and night, including at least onw weekend day/night (however, at night, be safe and have someone with you or do not leave the safety of your car.) After you see the buildings you are considring at various times, you will be better able to make an informed decision regarding the location of your home and your personal and property's safety.

Personally, the older I get, the less risks I want to take with my personal safety. Also, I like being able to sit outside and walk around the neighborhood, and you couldn't pay me enough money to have to walk around down there in all that filth on a daily basis in some of the locations. However, they really are cleaning things up down there, so it might depend on the exact location that you are consiering whether it is safe or not. It probably won't be safe for women and families with small children to live in most of those locations for a few more years, in my opinion. However, I haven't been there for a couple years, so my opinion might be out of date.

Before you decide, go to the LAPD's Crime Map site and plug in the address.

Good luck. Stay safe.

Last edited by Christine Joan; 09-23-2008 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
The fashion district is a great place to shop.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:55 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
I worked in Downtown LA for 6 years and I never felt comfortable after dark. There are lots of homeless and the sidewalk reeks of urine. Although I have not observed any drug transactions, I've heard that there are lots of drug-related activity downtown. There is a revitalizing project going on and I've not been downtown in the past 3 months so maybe things have improved. Downtown LA has a long way to go before it becomes the place to be.

The best advice I can give you is to see for yourself. Plan a trip where you can see downtown LA both in the daytime and nighttime. Each person is different in terms of priorities and preferences.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
There are a lot of lofts for sale now and they are going at pretty good rates compared to a few years ago.

When i'm in downtown, there is one thing I noted. Many, many police patrol cars everywhere. The areas I've been at night do have some homeless but many residents as well.

I think it's an interesting place with fun places to go.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,491 times
I don't personally live downtown but I spend almost 6 days out of the week there with my boyfriend. After dragging me around town to look at lofts and familiarizing myself with the city, I completely fell in love with downtown. And here is why:

Downtown has absolutely everything: restaurants from diner to gourmet dining, dive-in bars to high-end clubbing, apartments to luxury lofts etc. You want to chill with your friends at some local bar? Go to some of the chillest (is that a word?) and affordable bars that takes you far away from the Hollywood scene. Want to dance the night away? Go to nightclubs that takes place in an old historic bank with amazing dance space. Impress your date to some of the nicest restaurants from every cuisine possible.

Worried about driving home from your night out? The best thing about downtown is that everything is walking distance! Many have the stereotypical idea that Los Angeles is all about depending on your car but honestly, you'll probably arrive to your destination faster if you walk instead of drive in downtown. However, parking is hard to find and good luck finding a space where you can leave your car overnight, but some lots allow overnight parking for about $7. If you don't own a car, you can always take the metro from pershing square, they would take you out to Hollywood, Pasadena, Long Beach etc.

It's a bit pricey to live down there, especially if you are looking at lofts for one person, but if you don't have that problem you'll love it. Downtown is like escaping the Hollywood scene but having as much fun, if not more (and probably a little cheaper). A lot happens downtown: "No on Prop 8" protest (lol), tons and tons of shows/concerts/sporting events, films being shot, red carpet events. My point is, downtown is exciting!!

Safety-wise, there are police and security everywhere (literally on every block). Yes, you have skid row but people there surprisingly know their boundaries and barely head west. I feel totally safe being there on my own (I'm a 22-year old, asian female. If I can do it, so can you!)

Anyway, hope it somewhat helped... I think I just convinced myself to move there!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 PM

11 posts, read 32,607 times
I wouldn't live downtown. I moved from Chicago three years ago myself and downtown LA is nothing like downtown Chicago...no matter how much it's improved over the years, it's still creepy and empty after dark. The business people, myself included, clear out largely by 7 p.m.

A few months ago, I stepped out of a nice restaurant to make a call and was surrounded by so many homeless people that I had to go back inside. That same week, a friend was visiting from our Chicago office and he (a fairly large man) was chased down the street by two homeless guys in wheelchairs.

I agree there are some cool places to live with all the new lofts going up, but my guess is you'll find yourself spending your time getting out of downtown rather than hanging around on the weekends.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastadaisy View Post
I wouldn't live downtown. I moved from Chicago three years ago myself and downtown LA is nothing like downtown Chicago...no matter how much it's improved over the years, it's still creepy and empty after dark. The business people, myself included, clear out largely by 7 p.m.

A few months ago, I stepped out of a nice restaurant to make a call and was surrounded by so many homeless people that I had to go back inside. That same week, a friend was visiting from our Chicago office and he (a fairly large man) was chased down the street by two homeless guys in wheelchairs.

I agree there are some cool places to live with all the new lofts going up, but my guess is you'll find yourself spending your time getting out of downtown rather than hanging around on the weekends.
chased down the streets by guys in wheel chairs? where they motorized?!?!

thats the best one i have heard so far. your friend must be pretty slow.

anyhow downtown LA is not for everyone obviously. i have been partyin and shopping in DT LA for most of my life. i have seen it go up and down and right now it is going way up.

there are still dodgy areas like skid rown, but for the most part you wont get accosted in the other areas. there is lots to do, eat and see in DT.

i love it, and im born and raised in LA.

what i dont like, but has had a positive effect, are all the college kids(moslty USC). they have turned nice classy bars into frat parties. its annoying. but they do provide a vibe that was lacking in downtown for years. a lot of students who dont want to live in the dangerous areas surrounding USC have moved to DT. its no big deal, but they can be obnoxious.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:35 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastadaisy View Post

Jeez, I thought I had heard it all. Please let us know the name of the restaurant/district so we can avoid it. I've spent lots of time downtown, night and day, and have never had an experience like that one, even at 4th and Main, or on the nickel. And the closest thing to racing wheelchairs I ever saw downtown were the Shriners in their little cars on Main Street during the St. Paddy's Day Parade....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles