Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetraq View Post
if you have poor credit do they just ask for more deposit, or do they just deny you?
I've heard of both. I'm sure if you can prove that you have the money, or if you pay a few months in advance, it should work out. EVERYTHING is negotiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 AM

145 posts, read 368,477 times
yeah i'll probably just have to do that.... things are just moving very fast, i wasn't expecting to move out so quick.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
Quote:
if you have poor credit do they just ask for more deposit, or do they just deny you?
I think it's very dependent on the landlord. The place I'm in, I moved into 4 years ago when I moved out here. I remember the manager saying they were just looking for good, stable tenants.

What you'll find is that the LA population is very transient. Since I've been here, I can't count the number of tenants that have come and gone. Some here 6 months, some a year, but they just keep cycling through. There are just a few of us that have been here for an extended period of time.

It's expensive for landlords to turnover apartments. Every month of vacancy is lost income. And they generally have to paint, replace carpet, and things like that when someone moves out, which is just another expense they have to try and makeup.

So if you can show them you are stable, like you don't move around every six months, you can keep a job, etc., then most likely they'll approve you.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 AM

I've been at my company for 3 yrs, and certainly plan on staying with it for at least another 3 yrs, if not for as long as i can...

Not sure why i'm so apprehensive, i've moved from the UK to the USA and then back to the UK and then back to the USA twice now, and i can tell you, that requires a lot more than just moving to another city. I guess i'm just worried as this time, there'll be no fmaily out there, just me supporting everything. But i plan on paying my rent 6 months in advance so i'm no stressing over that.

thanks for the advice guys, i really appreciate it.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
Quote:
I've been at my company for 3 yrs, and certainly plan on staying with it for at least another 3 yrs, if not for as long as i can...

Not sure why i'm so apprehensive, i've moved from the UK to the USA and then back to the UK and then back to the USA twice now, and i can tell you, that requires a lot more than just moving to another city. I guess i'm just worried as this time, there'll be no fmaily out there, just me supporting everything. But i plan on paying my rent 6 months in advance so i'm no stressing over that.

thanks for the advice guys, i really appreciate it.

I can understand the apprehension. I went through the same thing when I moved here four years ago. But I had never lived anywhere else. I was leaving everything I knew. And I didn't have a job. But you've done this before, enough to know that you've always landed on your feet.

LA is just another big American city. Honestly, for all their differences, most large American cities are all fundamentally the same. You live somewhere, you work somewhere, you go to the grocery store, you drive or take public transport, you live. Actually, most cities in the world are quite similar. Sure the cultures are different, but in most developed nations most things work quite similarly.

Just ease into it. Once you get settled and start figuring things out you'll be fine. And if you don't like, I guess you could always move back. Job permitting of course.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks motoman as usual, i cant even give you more reps... sorry.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
Reading some responses on this forum can really discourage some. Yes, it is expensive to live here BUT it is just a city. The second you arrive here you don't have to pay a hefty toll to enter the city. You can make do as long as you are smart and have some skills to land a decent job. Not all of us may be able to afford the nicest things in LA but the city is pretty easy to survive in (by my experiences).

Some people just get so intimidated by everything they read on here and yes some of it's true but its very dramatized for the most part. Don't fret it too much, its only another city.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 AM

Well i do have some great news, my wife was accepted to cal state in the education program... and the second set of great news is that all her classes are night classes meaning no childcare costs.... wooohooo i am so excited by that... i was looking at $1400 at min for that.... so budget after all is now about $2700 after all bills, food etc...

Now is that enough to live in LA?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:49 PM

well the move is only a month away... looking to get a place next week, been considering pasadena now, what is that place like... commuting isn't a big deal as i have flex time at work so will go in about 6am in the morning and now my wife wont be going to college next yr due to out of state fees being insane. so childcare is also taken care of.

What other areas of LA are family friendly, needs to be about 1 hour commute to Tarzana.

Oh and before someone says something about the commute, you should know it used to take me 2hours 30mins, to get to work in london... i took the bus, train, tube, another tube then walked 15 minutes to get to work.

Last edited by firetraq; 11-28-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 01:37 AM

52 posts, read 155,491 times
With your budget you can find a nice place in tarzana, encino, sherman oaks, woodland hills, and calabasas which are all family friendly. But don't live in reseda or van nuys, they're ghetto ****holes for the most part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles