Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 06:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

The LA Times now has a blog listing all homicides in Los Angeles County in a given week, and is planning to have a similar blog regarding Orange County.

[link]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/homicidereport[/link]

For those planning to move to LA County, in particular, this should be required reading, in order to notice the neighborhoods that keep popping up in this listing as clearly Not Being Good Places To Be. Murder, of course, can happen anywhere, but certain areas being mentioned repeatedly should give one an idea about Where Not To Move To.

And for those of us already here, this does make interesting reading, as it puts a human face on the statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 07:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
How sad. It broke my heart to read about these young people being gunned down. Over and over again - black, latino, black, latino... And the areas: Compton, South Central L.A., Watts. I really hope they can somehow get a handle on this gang violence. Too many innocent bystanders are being killed for no reason whatsoever.

Majoun, thank you for posting this link (even if it is incredibly depressing!).

Old 02-26-2007, 07:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Default At least the Times is talking about this violence....

For too long they ignored it altogether. I remember the days when one read the Herald Examiner for the crime stories because the Times didn't want to cover them. They considered crime stories to be beneath what the late Otis Chandler believed a Great Newspaper should be about. (Granted I'd much rather have Chandler come back from the grave than have the Times run out of Chicago like it is now - but his flaws as well as his virtues should be mentioned.)

L.A.'s problems got to their current level partially because NO ONE wanted to talk about them. Apathy, ignorance, and incompetence are the reason how things became as bad as they got. If people are more aware, there's more of a chance of some action actually being taken.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:38 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
Great news! Confrontation=success. Maybe it will wake up some of the Angelenos with status.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 PM

208 posts, read 979,581 times
yeah, might want to avoid the areas with lots of MURDER!

the South Bay is pretty safe.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:57 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
ya, once they started that blog a while back i was hooked. it distracted me from the bottleneck blog and other LA ones. it offers great info and does give insight as to who dies in LA. and really it is young black and brown males. its so intriguing, but of course i am the type that enjoyed reading obits since i was old enough to read. these deaths are nothing new or suprising tho. i see first hand what violence like this looks like. only now i have more background info. i just love it. god does that sound awful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles