Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
One of the problems, in my estimation, is that Santa Barbara must first admit that it has a problem. Maybe it's coming around slowly, but for years Santa Barbara pointed fingers north and south complaining about the gangs and misery that comprised the communities there, all the while ignoring the warning signs in its own city. Maybe it's human nature. After all, who finds pleasure in admiting that gangs are festering in one's midst? But for sure, ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

I heard SB's Mayor Blum state in response to Wednesday's brawl with a twinge of shock in her voice that, "this isn't who Santa Barbara is." No kidding? It isn't who ANY community is that suffers from gang crime. Gangs make victims of us all. I thought Mayor Blum's words were telling of SB's denial.
Until you wrote about it, I completely forgot about how SB blames the north and south communities for their violence! I remember there was some violent act years ago and it was written about in a way for SB to not worry because the offender was from Ventura! It is so true how SB doesn't want to admit their ugly secrets. But, isn't that how the rich tend to operate? I still can't say it enough though, if I could afford a house and to send my son to private school, I would have stayed in my hometown. I really do miss the beach and mountains....I guess I am a hyprocrite in that sense, if I had the money I would probably pretend like nothing was going on around me too. I would just put on my bullet proof vest and go eat tacos on Milpas St......

Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Lol.. What did you think we had iron gates??

Greenwich CT, Darien CT, Carmel CA, La Jolla CA, Laguna Beach CA, Palm Beach FL, Rancho Santa Fe CA, Jupiter Island FL, Tiburon CA, Pacific Palisades, Mailbu.. etc.

NONE of those places have a street anything close to Milpas St, in S.B.
The Palisades is geographically lucky. It benefits from having Brentwood ,Santa Monica, Topanga, and Malibu as its neighbors. Just as Thousand Oaks wouldn't have one of California's lowest crime rates if the closest areas of the San Fernando Valley were Pacoima, San Fernando and Sylmar instead of Woodland Hills, West Hills, and Calabasas.

A former girlfriend of mine grew up in Mount Washington and she described that area as how the Palisades would be if it were next to Highland Park and Lincoln Heights instead of SM,Brentwood, Topanga, etc.. (Mt. Washington is not a bad area by any means but it does have more crime than the Palisades, due to its Northeast LA location....)

Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,103,472 times
hotstuff1, What ethnic gangs are causing the problems in Santa Barbara? Hmmmm......Take a wild guess.

Hey, hotstuff removed his post. My response was to what he posted.

Last edited by Roma; 03-20-2007 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 AM

989 posts, read 5,926,135 times
Germans man!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,205,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post
Santa Barbara is not safe, just a bunch of Mexican gangs killing. They even do it in broad daylight in front of the police, very bad city.
Well, I'll be staying in Santa Barbara for a few days this week. I'll let you all know what I find out there. Pray for me,lol.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM

127 posts, read 925,107 times
Quote:
Carpinteria has a nasty gang problem...
I live in Carp...tell me more about this 'nasty' gang problem...

I stopped in Milpas the other day and had some Thai food. There is nothing wrong with this area, it's just not 'perfectly manicured' like other parts of SB. Sure it's a little run down and forgotten about, but it's just the same as driving through any older suburban area in another city in the country.
But with this said, there certainly is parts of Santa Barbara that don't feel the greatest. It not like rolling through you feel like your life is at risk, but I wouldn't want to wander in here on foot, at 2am on a Saturday night. The thing is that everywhere has it's certain problems, and will run into some sort of trouble at times. With Santa Barbara fairly isolated from big cities, it means that the service industry must try and make a go of it within, or close to, city limits. Whether that means buying a $400k trailer here in Carp and commuting on the bottle-neck 101, or living with 3 other families in SB, these are the realities that some people must face, to live in their interpretation of 'paridise'.
This is the difference that SB faces compared to the other 'exclusive' areas spoken about in the US; La Jolla, Greenwich, Beverly Hills etc. The lower-middle class can use autos or public transport to get to their jobs steaming lobsters and manicuring nails in these parts. In SB they can walk to work, sure, but they must endure either $3000 rent a month or a painfully long commutes from outlying areas. The city of SB should/could address this problem by making housing somewhat more affordable in certain parts of town; like a revised 'section 8' sort of thing. But will they? I don't think so, they have bigger problems. For instance re-planting the trees along State St...now that is something that is VERY important!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:56 AM

40 posts, read 263,047 times
Default i agree

there are over 600 gang members in santa barbara check out local station www.ksby.com .

Quote:
Oh yes it has! This was not simply one gang member against another, it was a full-blown brawl with dozens of kids involved, and it has happened before. Smaller incidents of one-on-one gang incidents also happen with regularity in Santa Barbara. They're not always fatal, but they happen frequently. Wednesday's incident now has the PD on alert for acts of retaliation.

Even little-tiny Carpinteria, population 13,000, has gangs and violence associated with them. A gang shooting at Motel 6 there in January put two people in the hospital.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:00 AM

989 posts, read 5,926,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
But will they? I don't think so, they have bigger problems. For instance re-planting the trees along State St...now that is something that is VERY important!
What happened to safety and cleanliness first? For example, the plastic bus benches that proclaim "Safe and Clean," but LA is neither! Not just a vastly understaffed LAPD! Mayor Vivalaraza is instead spending billions to beautify the city..(the riverbeds, one million tree program, new metro stops, sm blvd beautification, etc..)

Old 03-21-2007, 10:12 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,080,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyla91601 View Post
there are over 600 gang members in santa barbara check out local station www.ksby.com .
Yes indeed, under Local News, titled Santa Barbara City Leaders Look to Stop Gang Violence: "While gang fights and even stabbings are common, last week's murder ... has been a wake up call for the entire city." http://ksby.com/Global/story.asp?S=6256548 (broken link)

About a month ago, Paula Lopez of KEYT (keyt.com) presented an eye-opening multi-segment report on gangs in SB. Even KCET's Life and Times has carried reports about SB gangs.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Santa Barbara may have its issues...but I wouldn't go so far as to say "don't go there" (the title of this post). I'm a real wimp and I've been through SB and haven't been scared yet. I wouldn't classify SB as one of the more dangerous cities in SoCal.

Just my $.02 having been to both LA proper and to SB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles