Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 AM

127 posts, read 500,346 times

Advertisements

Wow, the gang situation is OUT OF CONTRL. The gangs have out weaponed the cops. I was shocked at their automatic weapons that mirrored those use in WAR. The one guy even bragged that the camera man was Moderator cut: scared. They bragged that when they took out certain weapons the LAPD ran. Not that I blame them but COME ON!

The mother from Compton who lost two sons was in a gang and I knew it. She was too calm during those funerals - it was like she accepted it as a part of life and when I saw the purple ribbon she wore I definitely felt she was a member of the Grape Street gang. She raised them in this lifestyle so their deaths are partially HER fault.

The Mexican 16 year old who was about to be an OG and had to support his family - wow, all I can say is his mother deserved a beat down. How dare she rely on a KID to support her and her kids. The father was deported for gang activity and they should have followed him.

OG Crips member - smh. He's been shot so many times and seemed fairly intelligent so I didn't understand it. He went to law libraries and read up on his cases ( I guess) so why didn't he use his knowledge to get OUT is beyond me. Also, the head of the LAPD needs to investigate who the "cool police's" are that gave him the codes to break into the police scanners.

Kid who scored a 955 on SAT and is going to Univ. N. Mexico. I really hope he does well for himself. He is truly getting a second chance and needs to leave the thug life behind.

Priest who counsels these kids. Bless you!!! I hope your work pays off.

Anyone that even CONSIDERED moving to LA, Compton etc. should immediately reconsider.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-03-2009 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 AM

656 posts, read 1,356,186 times
Like every major city there are going to be your good and bad parts. Look at philly they have had something like 7 cops killed in the last 2 years. Another was just shot this past weekend but survived. Northeast Philly can be just as bad as certain parts of LA.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:22 PM

I know but we're discussing LA Gangs and there isn't another city comparable to LA's gang problem.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times
I dodge gunfire on a daily basis....

Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I saw that show when it first aired. The best parts were when gang members were killed by other gang members. My heart soared to see them dead. We need more of that.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM

73 posts, read 306,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransomed View Post
I know but we're discussing LA Gangs and there isn't another city comparable to LA's gang problem.
I agree, LA wins all gang talk when comparing one city to another. However, is the rate of violence any different? I mean, is the net result from one city to the next any different when comparing socioeconomic groups? Although cities like Philly do not have a gang problem, is the violence any different in a place like LA where there are more "organized" groups?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
it gets sensetionalized in the media.

it aint as bad as it seems. and that grape street stuff happened over a couple of weeks. those retaliatory killings were more common in the 80's and 90's. the reason its a big story is because it doesnt happen that often any more.

if it happened often it wouldnt be "news". it would be another day in the hood. but since it is a bit uncommon, like when a man dressed as santa shoots people, then it becomes news. (altho it did apparently happen over the weekend in echo park)

violence is actually down in LA.
does it still happen? YES.
is it that bad to make people stay away from LA?
NOT IN THE LEAST. i see tourists and transplants all over this town.

Last edited by the one; 03-03-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransomed View Post
Anyone that even CONSIDERED moving to LA, Compton etc. should immediately reconsider.
That comment sounds like it comes from someone living in a small town somewhere in the USA.

You probably have never been to Los Angeles and define what you consider unsafe surroundings by what you see on tee-vee.

I have never felt unsafe a day in this city.

I have driven all over Los Angeles County and been out at night, in Hollywood, Downtown, and been lost at night in East Los Angeles, and Southwest Los Angeles.

People who watch this stuff on television would believe that Armageddon was breaking loose.

And believe me, nobody "aspires" to live in Compton when they talk about moving to Los Angeles. There are other more desirable areas of the city people would prefer to live, including those who live in Compton, or Long Beach, or Southwest Los Angeles.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
That comment sounds like it comes from someone living in a small town somewhere in the USA.

You probably have never been to Los Angeles and define what you consider unsafe surroundings by what you see on tee-vee.

I have driven all over Los Angeles County and been out at night, in Hollywood, Downtown, and been lost at night in East Los Angeles, and Southwest Los Angeles.

People who watch this stuff on television would believe that Armageddon was breaking loose.

And believe me, nobody "aspires" to live in Compton when they talk about moving to Los Angeles. There are other more desirable areas of the city people would prefer to live, including those who live in Compton, or Long Beach, or Southwest Los Angeles.
x2
Saying that you should reconsider moving to LA based on a few news stories is ridiculous. I have never felt unsafe here once since I've been here. As long as you don't act like an idiot in the wrong parts of town you will be ok. You find trouble here, trouble usually doesn't find you.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

I've LIVED in South Central and attended a funeral in Compton so nada - wrong person.

Quote:
That's nice but I have and so has my spouse who grew up in South Central Crip territory.

Quote:

Someone was just on the board inquiring about buying a home in Compton so once again - you're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles