Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 03:07 PM

20 posts, read 57,794 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a "Quebecer" (French Canadian) and Im almost 20 at the moment.

I am planning to go live in L.A. after my studies and was wondering if I could live a "good" life in there. By good life, I mean live comfortably with economics matter (house, cost life...) and live in a good place (I'd like to live in the city, not in the desert... and if possible, in a low criminality place)

For the moment, I have a DEC in computer which means nothing in USA but my teachers told me that it can be recognize as a computer formation. Also, I am planning to get a BAA then a MBA (Master of Business Administration) diploma at university Laval (Québec university but with a good reputation... here :S).

So, anyone could tell me if I could make it at L.A. with those studies?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM

35 posts, read 205,574 times
My advice: visit L.A. first before you make the move. There are some things you just have to see for yourself. Personally, I would not live in Los Angeles. Maybe the cities around it are better, like Pasadena, Glendale, Studio City, Burbank... Housing is expensive, but there is affordable housing if you search them out. However, you can make a living here with a college degree in business. It just takes a little elbow grease and making the best of your opportunities. Best of luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:37 PM

I cant deny a lack of information about other cities around, but one thing is sure, it is what I am looking for:
-Good business perspective (Jobs within my diploma [MBA] and maybe start a business on my own later)
-Proximity of beach (Dont have to be on the side of the beach, I can drive )
-Proximity of hollywood (I am a great fan of the movie world )
-Sun (It is a big thing to say sun in Québec :O)
-Be able to live there with my income, in a nice house if I get a family
-Safety (low criminal rate)

So, as I said, the only information I could really get was about L.A. and I did not find anything about the cities around... Now, which one would best fit my needs, I must do some research I guess...

Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,805 times
The beach cities such as Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Hermosa Beach fit a lot of your criteria. They are compact, housing will be small for the price, but they are safe and very nice places.

I'm a big fan of Glendale and Pasadena. Both cities have a stronger downtown area, which you may be used to (if you are from the Montreal area anyway). Both cities are also very safe, and close in proximity to Hollywood.

To head further south, Long Beach has some nice neighborhoods, a very diverse and fun city as well. The downtown is really booming. For the most part, the city is also safe (contrary to the image many people seem to have).

Living in the city is different than living in the city in Montreal or Toronto. Much of L.A. proper is either unsafe, sprawling, or simply does not feel very urban. You might enjoy areas like Century City or living near Wilshire Blvd., but the cost is absurd!

For an urban living feel, I really recommend places like Glendale, Pasadena, Long Beach, or Santa Monica (it's right on the coast, nice downtown area) -- these areas offer more true urban living (albeit on a smaller scale) than much of LA proper.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 AM

I am taking note of your advices, thanks, I'll get some informations about these places .

But to get back to the primary subject of the topic, anyone have some knowledge about jobs turning around the MBA diploma and if a job like this could give me an income which would be enough to live a good life in L.A.?

I hear alot of "L.A. is the place for opportunities" or sentence like this and this aspect attract me. Also, I might be wrong, but if I can find a good home with a job I'd have got with my diploma, shouldnt I be able to find a home in another part of California too?

So, as you can see, my topic subject is mainly to tell me if I simply can have a great life in California, mostly anywhere in California... I am not planning to go live in there before minimum 5 years so I have time to decide which place in Cali

Old 03-27-2007, 07:16 AM

166 posts, read 986,495 times
I think there are inexpensive homes in Rancho Cucamonga. I saw one that was beautiful for only $475,000. The closer to LA the more you will pay. You should plan on spending at least $750,000 or more for a single family home in the LA area. It's crowded there so plan on congestion. It's a beautiful place anyway. I was there before, and I just noticed it cost a lot for housing. Actually, why don't you check it out for yourself. Go to www.zillow.com and see just how much it costs. See if you feel comfortable with that. There are also other places in the US that have a much lower cost of living. But, if your heart is set in CA give it a try.

As far as having a college degree in the USA...it used to be that you could plan on enjoying a good life if you had one. Honestly, it's all up to you. It's up to how hard you want to work, meeting the right people, being at the right place at the right time, and doing the right things that get you to where you want to go. I know people who don't have a college degree who are making a lot of money (they're quite successful financially). I have friends with college degrees who honestly, are just making it. Not every employer cares to pay you just because you have it anymore. It's just a matter of how intelligent you are, how passionate you are towards your work, can you do it better than everybody else and how hard you are willing to work. What are you willing to sacrifice? I think the exception would be law and medicine. Those two professions require a college degree, but the pay, after a while, is quite good here.

Just so you know, my girlfriend has her degree in Business and this profession isn't guaranteed a high salary. She is the one that is just making it. Think about what you want to do. Make sure your passionate about your work. I believe those that are more passionate towards work they love will make more money!

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-27-2007 at 07:27 AM..

Old 03-30-2007, 07:47 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrocks View Post
You should plan on spending at least $750,000 or more for a single family home in the LA area.
W H Y??? She didn't mention bringing a large family.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 AM

644 posts, read 3,321,058 times
I think you need to visit first. Los Angeles is an abomination. I don't understand why anyone would move here. Look out the window of the airplane when you land and all you'll see is a huge sprawl and lots of pollution.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 AM

Heh, I am a he lol ^^
And actually I'd move alone, completely so I was planning to live in some appartment untill I get a good and stable job...

Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,034 times
Even then you'll be looking at $1100-$1500 a month for a one-bedroom apartment in a "decent" neighborhood (don't even think about a NICE place). Car? Mandatory. Insurance? High.

Sorry, but the cost of living is significantly higher than even in Canada. That being said, if you wish to try your hand out in CA, I wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles