Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,657,733 times

Advertisements

Alright, I've heard alot about gangs in LA, Compton, and many other Los Angeles suburbs, but I was wondering if people who live in Los Angeles feel that the whole gang thing is overblown? I mean I understand areas in Compton, Los Angeles, Long Beach, ect are bad, but if you look at crime rates overall LA and Long Beach really don't seem very dangerous. Even a place like Compton which Usually has more than 40 murders a year doesn't have as high of a crime rate as alot of cities in the East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 05:09 PM

75 posts, read 207,328 times
I would say yes and no.

I worked as a teacher in Watts, right across from Nickerson Gardens. There were a lot of gang problems in the area that affected our students. When I first started working there it was pretty safe. I made home visits to my student's houses (in the surrounding area, not in Nickerson) and as long as you kept to yourself and didn't bother anyone it was fine. In our program at UCLA we had to do a walk through the neighborhood for a project and no one bothered us. The last year I was there (which was about three years ago) it got pretty bad . The kids were seeing dead bodies on the way home from school, right outside their after-school program. My kids were on the yard when the school had to be locked down because there was a gang shootout right in front of the school (and this had never happened in all the years I had worked there). We had a few parents get in fights at dismissal time...real nasty fights too. The worst thing was when one of our teachers was robbed at knife point on a smoking break in the middle of the day literally in front of the school. I think in some areas it is bad and often getting worse, but in most areas, if you don't bother anyone they won't bother you...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 28,568 times
The gang problem in California is spiraling out of control.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Reading, writing, and diving to the floor when gunshots are heard are all part of the routine for second-graders.

Steve Lopez
March 22, 2009

Gina Amodeo shouted "Pancake!" and her second-grade students knew exactly what to do. They immediately dropped to the floor and flattened out, minimizing the chance of getting shot.

It was only a drill, but they've been doing the real thing far too often lately. With a recent surge of violence in the vicinity of Monte Vista Elementary School in Highland Park, the students are terrified.

Surge in Highland Park violence terrifies students - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 PM

75 posts, read 207,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Reading, writing, and diving to the floor when gunshots are heard are all part of the routine for second-graders.

Steve Lopez
March 22, 2009

Gina Amodeo shouted "Pancake!" and her second-grade students knew exactly what to do. They immediately dropped to the floor and flattened out, minimizing the chance of getting shot.

It was only a drill, but they've been doing the real thing far too often lately. With a recent surge of violence in the vicinity of Monte Vista Elementary School in Highland Park, the students are terrified.

Surge in Highland Park violence terrifies students - Los Angeles Times
Yes we practiced this drill as well in our elementary school. We didn't have a cute name for it, it was called the "drop-down" drill. I taught first-graders and they were so scared when they had to learn it, but...it sure came in handy when they were on that yard that one day and the shots started being fired in front of the school. The school went on lock down and our yard staff had to get all six first grade classes safely into the auditorium. It was a scary day.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
The gang issues in LA are pretty serious, but the gangs at this point are most involved in black market business and stick to themselves (In this sense they are more similar to the Mafia).They are more interested in making $$ than messing with innocent people. Plus, whenever someone innocent gets involved it causes greater focus on them.

Legalize pot and 60% of their revenue is gone.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:45 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,847,325 times
I'm relatively new to LA, and from what I've seen the gang problems today are really nothing compared to the early-mid 90's (based on a little research). It seems like most gang violence today is african american gangs and latino gangs warring with each other in East LA and South LA. Very seldom, if ever, do I see it spill out to most of the other areas of the city.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
it IS blown out of proportion.

its not like it used to be. and these gangs dont want the cops or the media being so critical of them. they are trying to do things on the low...

does gang violence still happen, yes of course. but its not as bad as people think.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM

70 posts, read 300,988 times
yeah, way blown out of proportion.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,287,215 times
I think the fascination of the world with LA gang culture kinda overshadows reality, but its there.
Any number of people dying over bull is too many anyway.
It never effects me personally, because I'm not involved with gangs. But people are dying over it..
The Homicide Report | Hollywood: Man, 46, shot | Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles