Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times

Advertisements

What prompts this question is the huge number of posts asking about purchasing homes in Los Angeles area or worse yet moving to VERY far away outlying areas like Lancracker, Fontucky, Rivertucky, MV, and high desert.

One of the things that caused the later part of the huge housing run up in 2004-2006 in Los Angeles was a horribly misguided sentiment of "oh I will never be able to afford to buy a house if I do not buy now". I even have a co-worker who mumbled those exact words and paid $560K for a house in 2006 that a few months later he told me had lost $30K in equity already, and by now has probably dropped in price by 60%.

LOL.

So my question to those so eager right now to purchase a house, no matter where, no matter what price...heck you haven't even really researched the market and price and neighborhood....how many of you are just completely panicked out of your mind that prices will never ever be this low again and will start rising rapidly again and you will never ever ever be able to afford a house in Los Angeles if you do not buy right this instant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I'm hoping to sell my Northridge house perhaps later this year or early next year. I'll be happy to help out one of those eager buyers.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
When to buy a home in Los Angeles

Take a look at this thread that I posted not too long ago.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
i want to buy a house because ive been planning on it for years and this year there are major incentives to purchase(such as 8k from the fed). i dont believe prices are going to suffer much more in the areas i wish to purchase

Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 AM

52 posts, read 196,781 times
Its not a bad market to buy. There are plenty of REO's if you can get a hold of one. Interest rates are low. Doesn't mean you have to rush out and buy this second, but its not a bad market to look into buying. No one should rush and buy in any market.

The market in Los Angeles is hard to compare against other markets around the US. Home prices generally are falling all over, but for instance in many parts of West LA the prices are flat from what they were in 2006. And although the prices are lower, they are nearing, imo, where the prices would be at if there was a normal rate of growth. E.g. you will see lots of homes listed in the low 300's around central LA, but now are in the high 100's or low 200's. Note this is around most parts of LA, but as I just stated there are plenty of places where the prices are not going down at all.

And no I don't believe it was the sentiment that one needs to buy that drove the housing price bubble. That was just an affect of it set into peoples minds.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 AM

17 posts, read 57,703 times
did you just say lancracker???????? ha ha ha ha ha ha

seems to me that distance from everything is a big part of it. when prices start to mellow, those furthest from where you want to be in the city (in this case, the LA basin, westside/downtown) lose the biggest.

thought is: why move forty five minutes away to valencia, now that i can afford to be in silverlake (just an example, on the distance). this sentiment continues through, and pretty soon valencia gets a lot cheaper...

until people can no longer afford silverlake (again, just an example). then they start to go outside of silverlake, and eventually get pushed back to valencia.

and so it goes, on and on, up and down. on average, historically, every 10-12 years they say, but the last cycle took like 16 years (so its not exact, i guess).

so lancraker, the "909", etc. should be getting killed right now, because you can afford to be closer because things have come down...so why go there?

so if you buy there, expect that there wont be a rush to want to buy what you bought, until people cannot live closer, at an affordable price. just the theory, makes sense though.

thats what they taught me in college (real estate finance undergrad), and then in my practice (as a broker) i saw the same thing. seems pretty logical (always a bit oversimplified though)

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

9 posts, read 30,203 times
For me, the reason I'm starting to look is because of the "seemingly" low prices, [with the thought that the prices are still going to come down maybe 10-20% next year], and because the interest rates are low, plus the $8K incentive. I realize that it hasn't bottomed out yet, but if I plan to live there permanently, then it's a no-brainer, because it will still go up. Maybe not in the next 3 years, but probably in 10 years or so. During the peak years, no, I never thought that I should buy because "I'll never be able to afford a house". What goes up must come down and what goes down goes back up. That's the universal reality.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Fontucky? Where's that?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Fontucky? Where's that?
Fontana?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Fontana?
Duh. Look at my screen name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles