Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:28 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,786,829 times

Advertisements

Asian generally won't be a problem. Japanese-Americans, Japanese, Chinese, Filipinas have few qualms about relationships with good African-American guys. The main things those ethnicities want are partners for their daughters who will not embarrass their families. I don't know what the attitude is in the Vietnamese community. I've only seen white guy-Vietnamese girl couples where I used to live when it comes to the interracial issue in that community.

If you date a daughter of Korean immigrants, that might be a hassle only because not only do blacks have a very poor image in Korea thanks to the riots in L.A. where Korean business were looted and burned, but Korean parents usually prefer that their kids marry other Koreans (that means whites will experience resistance from FOB Korean parents, too). However, one also has to note that in Orange County, there has been reported an unexpected amount of intermarriage between Koreans and Hispanics. So make of that what you will.

As for Latinas, if you use the dating pool out of a middle class largely white neighborhood to find them, you will likely have no problem. For example, there is a part of Whittier that is like the Hispanic Baldwin Hills. The crunch comes when you go into some of the working class and poor neighborhoods with occasional or worse gang activity. The vatos are definitely not down with blacks (or even Anglos in a lot of cases) dating the chicas and it could get hairy for you.

Hispanic parents don't really care, generally, about the ethnicity of their daughter's boyfriends. Every now and then, though, you will run across a hispanic dad who doesn't want his daughter dating outside la raza. In my experience, these dads usually had gang member sons.

One suggestion: Brazilians. Lots of African blood in that culture, too. So racism not an issue. And they're some of the most beautiful women on the planet.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:16 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,194,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Brazilians. Lots of African blood in that culture, too. So racism not an issue. And they're some of the most beautiful women on the planet.
Ha! You gave me a laugh with that suggestion. I'm half Portuguese with a Brazillian grandfather but my Portuguese grandmother came from islands off the coast of Africa. Yes! There is lots of African blood in the Brazilian/Portuguese groups. (They actually have a name for it but it escapes me at the moment.)

I was watching "The Dog Whisperer" this week and he featured a family with a Mexican father and a Chinese mother.

Is LA starting a multi-racial trend? I think it might be. I think it just might be....

You can marry someone you really like here! It doesn't matter their race or even their gender! <cough>

Old 05-10-2009, 11:55 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,271,702 times
Quote:
Asian generally won't be a problem. Japanese-Americans, Japanese, Chinese, Filipinas have few qualms about relationships with good African-American guys. The main things those ethnicities want are partners for their daughters who will not embarrass their families.
Considering that some Asian families are embarrassed by some members of their own particular ethnic groups (eg. the Japanese "burakumin", the Korean "baekjeong", and the Pilipino "mangangalahig"), a "good" African American male might already have a strike against him, simply for being an African American.

Similarly, "colorism" within the African American community causes some to discriminate against their fellow African Americans.

Quote:
One suggestion: Brazilians. Lots of African blood in that culture, too. So racism not an issue. And they're some of the most beautiful women on the planet.
Sadly, Brazilians aren't free from racism...
The challenge of eliminating racism in Brazil &mdash; INESC (http://www.inesc.org.br/library/other-publications/the-challenge-of-eliminating-racism-in-brazil/ - broken link)

Old 05-10-2009, 01:02 PM

17 posts, read 57,727 times
No worries. Head to Pasasdena. A lot of black people live there, a lot of asians now live there, and a lot of hispanics as well (its east LA after all).

Sounds like paradise for you. And i doubt anyone would have any issues. It such a melting pot here (in LA and pasadena), that people should feel stupid even thinking that (or letting anyone know they are thinking that).

I am sure some people arent down with it. but SOME people arent down with anything. So whatevers. Head to dena!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,049,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Considering that Asians, Latinos, and African Americans aren't monolithic groups, it's somewhat misleading to make any generalizations.
very true. best comment in this thread so far.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,176,445 times
Thank you to all who have posted to this thread, thus far.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 PM

By the way...Since there are so many beautiful women in the Los Angeles area, how does one approach or meet them; especially, in the cell phone age?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 PM

938 posts, read 4,098,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
By the way...Since there are so many beautiful women in the Los Angeles area, how does one approach or meet them; especially, in the cell phone age?
Are you kidding me?!

Have you ever thought there must be something wrong if you have to ask such questions?

Last edited by King0fthehill; 05-10-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Are you kidding me?!

Have you ever thought there must be something wrong if you have to ask such questions?
No.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 36,243 times
There are plenty of Asians and Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles