Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:33 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatter View Post
I will be spending 4-5 days/wk in LA, commuting in weekly from SF. I am trying to figure out the best neighborhoods for a rental apartment search and would love to get some advice. My criteria below. Thanks!

- Rent @$1,000/mo, can go up by a bit if place is v desirable, I know that is tight since I'd prefer 1br place, although large studio might work
- 1 br ideal, spacious studio 2nd option, must have parking
- Under 30 min by reliable public transport to S Flower St in downtown
- SAFE neighborhood, stay away from rough neighborhoods at all costs
- Some charm walking distance - pedestrian friendly, coffee shops, family friendly, bookstores, nice & friendly crowd
- Not too far commute-wise from either Burbank airport or LAX
- Not east of city - I hear the beach is quite a ways so assuming not practical to be close to ocean although I'd love it
- Nice to have: views, greenery
Santa Monica and drive to Burbank. Plenty of 1bed apts some with a garage for around $1200.
I drive from Malibu to Burbank at least twice a week with no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:46 AM

174 posts, read 516,875 times
Los Feliz is a good bet. Find somewhere that will allow you to walk to the Sunset and Vermont rail station. I live in East Hollywood and teach in the East Los Angeles area. I grab the Red Line train (Hollywood and Western) at about 6:10 most mornings and walk into my school at about 7:10. People who drive from Orange County or even Long Beach to get to my school take as much time or more. I'm usually very rested and peaceful when I arrive.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schatter View Post
It's 515 S Flower between 5th and 6th. Thanks
Ok, if that is the case, you should definitely take a look at the area of Los Feliz near Hollywood and Western. There is a subway station there and lots of shops and restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

The subway stop you will use is at Fig and 7th. I estimate it will be a 5 minute walk to your work at 515 South Flower from the subway station.

The subway ride is about 20 minutes for the portion you will take.

You WILL be sacrificing safety as the nearby areas in Hollywood(Los Feliz borders Hollywood) are not nice. You have to understand though that most of Los Angeles is like this. There are very few sanitized areas in Los Angeles.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 AM

52 posts, read 206,613 times
Yup, definitely look into Los Feliz (I would say near near the Sunset and Vermont Red Line stop). You should be able to get to your office within 30 minutes (including time spent walking).

Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Ooooops, yeah. NOT HOLLYWOOD AND WESTERN. I dunno what I was thinking. Sunset/Vermont is correct. You might have to walk 10 minutes or so to the subway.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
The 720 Wilshire bus stops near the library, which is at 5th and Flower, and there are plenty of reasonable places to rent, with walking neighborhoods, within 30 minutes. No subway, though.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 PM

67 posts, read 193,686 times
City of Downey is not too far from downtown and it's a very nice and friendly neighboorhood.
Culver City might be a nice option is on the west side of town so you're close enough to beaches, close to LAX, not far from downtown L.A and lots of places to dine out... Culver city to downtown can take you aprox 30.....

Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Jeez, I keep forgetting about the Rapids- thanks for mentioning them. They are GREAT, fast, and the next best thing to our long-overdue Wilshire Red Line extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
The 720 Wilshire bus stops near the library, which is at 5th and Flower, and there are plenty of reasonable places to rent, with walking neighborhoods, within 30 minutes. No subway, though.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:22 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Thank goodness. I'd be back in OC if I wanted sterility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Ok, if that is the case, you should definitely take a look at the area of Los Feliz near Hollywood and Western. There is a subway station there and lots of shops and restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

The subway stop you will use is at Fig and 7th. I estimate it will be a 5 minute walk to your work at 515 South Flower from the subway station.

The subway ride is about 20 minutes for the portion you will take.

You WILL be sacrificing safety as the nearby areas in Hollywood(Los Feliz borders Hollywood) are not nice. You have to understand though that most of Los Angeles is like this. There are very few sanitized areas in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles