Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:05 PM

723 posts, read 1,634,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good for you, but the OP is planning on re-locating, making $10 an hour. Even with cheap rent, like you are mentioning there is food, gas, some utilities, medical care if needed, and the biggy, transportation. $10 an hour in the L.A area does not cut it..

Nita
I paid all of those bills too. I did without extras like cable TV, but it can be done if you know how to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:37 PM

24 posts, read 48,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
I paid all of those bills too. I did without extras like cable TV, but it can be done if you know how to survive.
You can survive and save even more money by collecting cans and sleeping in homeless shelters. The point we're trying to make to the OP is why put yourself in that situation when you have better options.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It does if your address is XXX Freeway, XXX Street overpass. (You pick which XXX.)

It cuts it if you don't mind living with several of your closest friends (or acquaintances, or fellow Craig's List enthusiasts).

It cuts it if you like living in a homeless shelter.

You're right, it doesn't cut it!
wanted to rep you,had to spread it around.

Nita

Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
so I am trying to be realistic. Some entry positions in the game industry pay $10/12/hr in the LA area.
Are you kidding me? $10/hour is barely enough to live on in Austin, Texas (where I'm living now - though I'm planning to relocate to Los Angeles at the end of the year). You might as well go work at a fast food restaurant if you're going to be paid that kind of money.

Really, if you have a college degree or higher, you really deserve more than $10/hour. Don't sell yourself short! I used to live in San Francisco and worked several part-time jobs that paid $12/hour, and that was like the equivalent of making minimum wage there. If you're smart and educated, find the good opportunities instead of just taking whatever you can to "get your foot in the door."

Old 05-16-2009, 04:47 PM

80 posts, read 237,075 times
I don't understand why with such good weather people stubbornly keep driving their big cars and suvs. If I lived in a warmer place I would get myself a mo'ped. I could get 90+ MPG, save on insurance, gas, and TIME. I could also it use all-year round. So I don't think for me transportation would be that much of a problem.
oh and every other big city in the world has mopeds besides american cities. Although lately I've seen more around especially on the east coast.

You stay there stuck in traffic, I'll zip by waving at you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-16-2009 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: No need for the "sucka" comment -- thanks.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I don't understand why with such good weather people stubbornly keep driving their big cars and suvs. If I lived in a warmer place I would get myself a mo'ped. I could get 90+ MPG, save on insurance, gas, and TIME. I could also it use all-year round. So I don't think for me transportation would be that much of a problem.
oh and every other big city in the world has mopeds besides american cities. Although lately I've seen more around especially on the east coast.

what does that have to do with the question, can you live on 10 bucks an hour?

Nita

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-16-2009 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM

80 posts, read 237,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what does that have to do with the question, can you live on 10 bucks an hour?

Nita
because everybody was saying that it will cost for transportation and traffic is bad and bla bla bla.

but there are great points of view in this thread. very useful.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
I don't understand why with such good weather people stubbornly keep driving their big cars and suvs.
You don't live in Los Angeles, right? Don't tell us what you'd do until you have lived here. You have no idea.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:28 PM

24 posts, read 48,102 times
Quote:

It's a great idea but I'm pretty sure you'll change your mind once you get a taste of LA freeways and traffic. There is also a serious danger with theft in LA so it's not as simple as you think.

If you have to commute frequently it will be dangerous with the amount of drivers on the road. I personally dislike the cost of owning and maintaining a car and have tried public transportation and motorcycles but gave up after two years.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 AM

188 posts, read 521,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
How wonderful....you advocate being homeless and living off the work of others instead.

Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
So you'd rather mooch off the rest of us?
No. I'd rather hold an honest job and work like everyone else.

I'm just saying when you factor in the cost of living expenses, certain wages make it feel like you're doing worse than homeless people. There's a bit of sarcasm in that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles