Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 AM

25 posts, read 168,367 times

Advertisements

OK...I know all of you native Californians will laugh..but I just moved 3 weeks ago from the east coast to Newbury ParK (T.O.). Yesterday morning about 6:30am I felt a jolt like a truck just backed into my apartment complex. At first it didn't cross my mind but then I signed onto the computer to see that I had just experienced a 3.5 earthquake just 8 miles from my home. It wasn't bad at all but the thought that it happens that fast was a bit unsettleing. When I asked my co-worker if he felt it...he said he did not...and when I told him it was a 3.5...he laughed at me and said "that's not an earthquake, wait until you feel a 5.0 or better"...lol...for an lifetime New Jersey and Florida boy...anytime the earth under my feet moves....its an event

I guess i've been indoctrinated.....sort of !?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 09:33 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Are you sure? How weird, I didn't feel that one.

I remember my first earthquake too. It was so fast I didn't even have time to be scared, but in retrospect I pretty much wasn't scared anyway. I felt something shove/push from behind me (sort of) in a jerk, and for some totally bizarre reason I stood up and turned off the computer, LOL. I have NO idea why.

It was SO quick. When I thought of earthquakes before moving here, I pretty much envisioned 35-minute-long quaking and shaking with OJ Simpson bursting out of an elevator.

Congratulations on your indoctrination!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times
Welcome to California GlenB!

I survived the Northridge quake in 1994. My apartment in Northridge was condemned and I only had minor injuries but I lost a lot of personnel belongings.

You said you are in NP. Are you across the street from Amgen? (Hillcrest Park) I think is the name.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:22 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
I've been in earthquakes all my life in CA and HI. It's funny, non-natives point out tiny earthquakes I can't feel. I'm in Malibu and felt nothing.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:29 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,935,062 times
I could sleep through a nuclear attack. A 3.5 earthquake is barely a breeze to wake me up. Welcome to Cali. Tell all your friends and family members. They love stories like that. Mine do! Good luck!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:47 PM

25 posts, read 168,367 times
JerZ...yes i'm sure...I saw it on the earthquake site map 10 minutes later and it also made the morning news (very short blurb)

Roma...I am down the street from Amgen in Arroyo Villa apts.

I hope thats the most i'm indoctrinated for a while to come!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:06 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
OK...I know all of you native Californians will laugh..but I just moved 3 weeks ago from the east coast to Newbury ParK (T.O.). Yesterday morning about 6:30am I felt a jolt like a truck just backed into my apartment complex. At first it didn't cross my mind but then I signed onto the computer to see that I had just experienced a 3.5 earthquake just 8 miles from my home. It wasn't bad at all but the thought that it happens that fast was a bit unsettleing. When I asked my co-worker if he felt it...he said he did not...and when I told him it was a 3.5...he laughed at me and said "that's not an earthquake, wait until you feel a 5.0 or better"...lol...for an lifetime New Jersey and Florida boy...anytime the earth under my feet moves....its an event

Well, I don't recall hearing about it. Are you SURE it was an earthquake? Just remember, in the event of an earthquake, do NOT stand under doorways or hide under objects like a desk or bed. Curl up next to the desk. The object next to you will take the brunt of the impact. If you hide under the desk, you'll be crushed....

Artie

Old 04-11-2007, 06:57 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
My two neighbors across the street from us were amongst the sixty killed in the 1994 Northridge quake. We were part of the non-rescue effort, and every house sustained damages: we were three miles away from the epicenter. Do not underestimate how destructive quakes can be. The below link shows what went on here even in the last hour...
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

Old 04-16-2007, 03:51 AM

82 posts, read 522,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post

We have received serious earthquakes about once every 20 years. In 1971 there was the Sylmar quake, in 1994 there was the Northridge quake. Distance of only 20 miles from them, which is easy in L.A., buffers the effects of the quakes to make the quake only noticeable.
Compare those damages to the effects and frequency of hurricanes and floods in other parts of the nation. I'm an L.A. native and I've never felt like moving because of disasters.
I have the site below wired to email me whenever there is a 3.0 or more in California or Nevada.
http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs.html (broken link)
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM

82 posts, read 522,050 times
Default Quake prepardness

There is a Los Angeles fireman named Henry Johnson
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425226/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127462/
who has done some video tapes for PBS about earthquakes.
He talks about how survivable quakes are and 100s of details of how to prepare for them in the home, at work, and on the road.
Henry's tapes will rivet you to your chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles