Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:06 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Help me. I'm stuck in Los Angeles and I can't get out. I feel like I'm in a sinkhole of sorts. This is the danger of L.A. Once your here, you never get out. It's like a bowl with slipper sides. Every time you try to crawl out, you slip back in.

Anyhow, I work online and I can live anywhere as long as I have a high-speed connection. I've been all over these message boards talking to people. I've traveled across the country. Frankly, I've come to the conclusion where anyplace is okay. I'll adjust. Would like to see some trees and greenery.

But how do you get an apartment from 1,000 miles away? Do I have to take another trip to Seattle, for instance, get a hotel and rent a car? That's another $1,000 !!!! Should I just give notice and put my life in storage and hit the highway in my SUV??? Live in places temporarily until I find the perfect town? How do you do this? I just feel like I'm going to die here. I hate this town. I just want out...

Anybody moving here from somewhere else wanna switch apartments for a while? I can find a place there while you find a place here???

I'm going mental...

Artie

Hey Artie...

I haven't taken the time to read all the replies - just your original post quoted above. I don't know if you are serious or venting but I just recently moved from Minneapolis, MN to Los Angeles & then back again (not because of anything having to do with Los Angeles - it was family related). If you are serious & are at all interested in Minneapolis I know of a few rental companies here - one in particular that I have rented from before & am now going to be renting from again as of 1 Aug 2008.

They have some photos online... you can likely easily do business with them long distance... they have properties that are 95 percent in great neighborhoods (perhaps more than that)... and on & on. If it turns out that you are interested - I would be willing to look at the unit & take my own photos & email them to you. You could use City-Data to ask questions about which neighborhoods are best, if the apartment is on a good block, whatever.

I don't know if apartments are what you are interested in or what... just trying to help as I have been through the cross country move thing myself & finding something long distance can be a nightmare - giving back is always refreshing.

the thinky think.r
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Hey think! Haven't seen you in a long time since fireside days. Artie moved here in Massachusetts, which was her dream, this December. She does not go by artichoke anymore either...she just dissapeared Hope you like MN

Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 AM

390 posts, read 905,167 times
Puffle,
Do you know Artie personally?.
I have been gone from this site for awhile and hers was first one I read when I returned today. She had my situation almost exactly.
I am trapped now in La (Sherman Oaks to be exact) and need encouragement.
The fact that she up and left gives me encouragement but would love to speak with Artie in detail
If you know her please pass on this message!!

TY

Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 AM

Honey, you can talk to me...I am from Sherman Oaks and we escaped by car to Boston before Artie got here. She does not come here as Artie anymore and I don't know if she ever came back since her last post in Feb. I think she might have been suspended?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Have to smile here: I used to work at an auto repair place in Sherman Oaks on Van Nuys Blvd from about 1981-85 just S of the Ventura (101) Freeway

Old 07-07-2008, 03:16 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
1. Pick a place you want to live.
2. Call a Realtor in that place and have them find you an apartment.
You can do the same yourself using Craigslist but that can be risky.
3. Go.

It's just like any other problem. If you start throwing money at it, it'll go away.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Have to smile here: I used to work at an auto repair place in Sherman Oaks on Van Nuys Blvd from about 1981-85 just S of the Ventura (101) Freeway
Only a gas station on one side and a pizza place across the street. On the other side is a bank.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
I really need to look at the date of the first post more often so I don't find myself responding to resurrected threads. I got an email the other day from a thread on a local motorcycle forum about a thread from 2003. Holy resurrection Batman!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Hey think! Haven't seen you in a long time since fireside days. Artie moved here in Massachusetts, which was her dream, this December. She does not go by artichoke anymore either...she just dissapeared Hope you like MN

PUFFY!!!!!

Perhaps I really do need to come back here more often because I first didn't even think to check the date on this posting like I usually would have & second - they've all changed it up again & are announcing to everyone that I have NO FRIENDS!!! Too funny that they've made it a bit more like one of those "other sites" by adding the friends, blogs, etc. I just haven't caught up with the times yet...lol

Hope all is well with you & yours... thinky

Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
I to nearly fell into the trap of not reading all the posts or looking at the dates.
I had just composed an enormous monologue on how to survive through adversity and a little voice in the back of my head told me to read all the posts. It was true the post replying to was over a year old.
Lesson learned .. oh man I really think I need a drink..

Last edited by impala666; 07-23-2008 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles