Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 PM

572 posts, read 709,200 times

Advertisements

All the big movie studios are in LA. Warner Bros. Disney. Universal. Sony. MGM. Fox. DreamWorks. DreamWorks Animation. Paramount. Have you ever seen the size of these places? They're all massive in scale.
Many of them are expanding or planning to expand. A lot of the post production is done in LA. If a movie films in New Mexico or wherever, it usually comes back to LA for final editing and so on.

All of the big production companies are here in LA, or have a huge LA office. NYC has a few production companies but they're not huge players really. LA has tons of movie production companies. They're all over the freaking city.

If you want to be an actor, LA has more casting managers by a long shot. LA has all the agents and managers for writers, actors, and directors.

All of this nonsense about NYC beating LA in TV or in films is a load of crap. It's not even close.

And music? Are you sure about that? Or is that more lies? LA is huge in music. I'm not sure what's above what.

Fashion is a lot closer than you think. Even New Yorkers admit that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h4j645jj35 View Post
I think L.A. use to be the top place for filming. Now and for a little while it seems like they are going to Canada to film movies and for certain movies they are going to Miami.
Miami huh? LMAO. Hate to break it to you pal, but Long Beach fills in for Miami all the time. Most of Dexter exterior shots take place in Long Beach.
LA is still tops in filming and it makes all the decisions no matter where a film is made. Sorry. It will always be the entertainment capital of the world. The big players like being here.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Anyone who denies that LA is the worldwide capital for the entertainment industry is sorely misguided. As mentioned, the movie studios and industry are here and so is the majority of the music industry. Then there's the sheer number of actors and musicians that choose LA when they could afford to live anywhere in the world. There are four major cities in the US and they all lead in their respective industries that are exported worldwide (DC - government, SF - tech, NYC - finance, and LA - entertainment). Chicago should also be added as it is also an important city, though not really a leading city in a major category. While relative relevance may ebb and flow, LA is certainly an important city internationally.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:26 PM

I've never been a American Idol fan, but they say "You're going to Hollywood". Not Manhattan.

The Grammys are here.

It's so odd on these forums. People seem to argue NYC is tops in everything for some reason. I don't get it.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h4j645jj35 View Post
You obviously don't care about music because L.A. really aint got nothing on NYC when it comes to that. You can even add fashion and others too.
This is good fun.

America's Most Popular Music Scenes - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Los Angeles: 175k musical acts
New York: 115k

Want a Job in the Music Business? These Are the Cities You Should Live In (From the Magazine) | Billboard

"It should come as no surprise that the cities with the three highest concentrations of music industry jobs also have the best-paying ones. Los Angeles tops all markets in average music job earnings with 175% of the country's average salary. Nashville is second at 156%, and New York is third at 147%. Music jobs pay less than the national average in Charlotte (99%), Austin (94%), Atlanta (85%), Memphis (79%) and New Orleans (73%)."

The Where of 2012's Top Music - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 AM

Don't bring stats in here. They're gonna hate it. They don't want to see the list of where Hollywood companies compared to the rest of the world. NYC doesn't even beat out Culver City lmao.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:39 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Don't bring stats in here. They're gonna hate it. They don't want to see the list of where Hollywood companies compared to the rest of the world. NYC doesn't even beat out Culver City lmao.
But..but...but New York rules all.

Ever try to find decent slice in La-la-land?

Fuggetaboutit?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
In this thread: LA-haters that don't understand the difference between filming in a city and the entire film industry infrastructure being based in a city.

When Warner Bros, Disney, Universal, Sony, MGM, Fox, DreamWorks, and Paramount all leave, I'll worry.

When, BAE, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, and the rest of the aerospace/defense industry pick up and leave, I'll worry.

When Elon Musk relocates SpaceX out of Hawthorne and NASA moves JPL out of Pasadena, I'll worry.

When Google, Facebook, Youtube (and all the other tech companies that have opened satellite offices here to be close to the entertainment industry) close up shop, I'll worry.

When Activision, Blizzard, EA, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Obsidian, and Riot Games all leave and when they start holding E3 in another city, I'll worry.

When Times Higher Education stops ranking Caltech as the best university in the world, I'll worry.

When the warp-speed gentrification that has been occurring in every neighborhood in the city slows down, I'll worry.

When the steady stream of my New York friends stops decamping to LA because they were sick of having to live further and further out in Brooklyn, I'll worry.

When the New York Times stops writing favorable articles about LA's suddenly red hot emerging fashion scene, I'll worry.

When the weather stops being so goddamn perfect every day, I'll worry.

Until then, I'm quite happy to be here.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 11-12-2013 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
In this thread: LA-haters that don't understand the difference between filming in a city and the entire film industry infrastructure being based in a city.

When Warner Bros, Disney, Universal, Sony, MGM, Fox, DreamWorks, and Paramount all leave, I'll worry.

When, BAE, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, and the rest of the aerospace/defense industry pick up and leave, I'll worry.

When Elon Musk relocates SpaceX out of Hawthorne and NASA moves JPL out of Pasadena, I'll worry.

When Google, Facebook, Youtube (and all the other tech companies that have opened satellite offices here to be close to the entertainment industry) close up shop, I'll worry.

When Activision, Blizzard, EA, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Obsidian, and Riot Games all leave and when they start holding E3 in another city, I'll worry.

When Times Higher Education stops ranking Caltech as the best university in the world, I'll worry.

When the warp-speed gentrification that has been occurring in every neighborhood in the city slows down, I'll worry.

When the steady stream of my New York friends stops decamping to LA because they were sick of having to live further and further out in Brooklyn, I'll worry.

When the New York Times stops writing favorable articles about LA's suddenly red hot emerging fashion scene, I'll worry.

Most importantly, when the mountains, beach, ocean, and amazing weather leave.....then I'll really worry lol.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

Or al the high end retailers and art galleries start shutting down in West LA. That would be a bad sign.

I just moved to Korea Town. It's hard to say to yourself, this isn't a WORLD CITY. There's shopping malls here that are 100% Asian customers. Not a strip mall or center. Multi level indoor mall. Korea Town has to be one of the most interesting areas in the whole country.

There's nothing like this in Atlanta, Chicago, Houston or Dallas. Or any other city that's claiming to give LA a run for it's money.

I went to Venice Beach yesterday. It's booming with construction. People are everywhere, and not just the boardwalk. Abbott Kinney has never been better.

Downtown Santa Monica would be most interesting and bustling neighborhood in any other Sun Belt city, and it's only getting better. It's probably more vibrant than their downtowns.

I went to google maps and checked out Houston and Dallas trendy and upscale areas. Are you kidding me? Are these the cities that are saying LA is done? Rice Village in Houston looks like something you'd find way out in LA burbs. The Inland Empire or something. Highland Park Village looks tiny as hell in scope. This is what they're bragging about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles