Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

I'm a native southern californian. I used to live in Orange County for a couple of years, near newport beach. I will NEVER move back there. Don't miss it at all. I think that LA is actually a nice city (the "nice parts" at least), but the traffic is absolutely HORRIBLE and, for some nice parts, I'm not a fan of the superficial Hollywood mentality. If I have no choice but to live in LA, I'd probably live in Westwood, Venice Beach, or Santa Monica if close to my work. San Diego is a different story. SD's downtown area is gorgeous and a relatively nice place to live in, and so are the surrounding suburbs, such as Hillcrest, Mission Hills, PB, and Point Loma. Also, as many people have mentioned, wages definitely do not align with the cost of living in San Diego. Would I live in the farther suburbs of San Diego (i.e. Eastlake, Escondido)? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

I have the same opinion regarding NYC as rzone. I have family in Manhattan, and I go there often. From what they've said, NYC has changed ALOT since the 70s. They wouldn't choose to live anywhere else in the world. Manhattan is a gorgeous city, and, from my experience, a relatively safe place to live. The amount of diversity there is amazing, and the racial dynamic is quite different from SoCal. It seems like the city setting forces people of different origins to interact, and people there seem alot more tolerant of other races than SoCal. Unlike the stereotypes, New Yorkers aren't that mean. I heard that a good amount of Brooklyn, especially Park Slope, is the same way. Access to public transportation is excellent, and I would choose to bike/walk/take the subway to work over commuting on the 405 or 91 any day. The only thing is rent/mortgage is expensive in NYC. Very expensive. And, unless you have alot of money, owning a car is hard (I'd easily give up my car in exchange for good public transportation. One less thing to worry about). Food, clothing, etc. is actually quite affordable by California standards.

So if you're thinking about moving to Cali, I would think hard about what part to move to. If your job is relocating you, I would also think hard, depending on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,313 times
As a very long time resident of this part of the country, I'd like to offer my perspective here. I used to think like the OP in 2006. But now I realize that if you only look at the negative aspects of a place, then you will only see the negative aspects and you won't feel good.

I admit I used to complain a lot about LA but I have been trying so hard to stop it and its never easy because of what the media in this country report. No place is ever going to be perfect that's a well known fact. Every place is going to have its pros and cons and LA is no exception. I admit that there are lots of things wrong with LA but why do people constantly create these threads that criticize cities and only look at what's wrong??

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,911 times
I felt pretty sick of living in LA after living here for 5 years or so. After hearing gunshots outside of my apartment, I moved.

Then I lived in a bunch of other places (Ventura, Boston, Austin) which made me realize how wonderful LA is. NOT the area where I heard gunshots, heh (I drove by my old place yesterday marvelling that I'd ever lived there).

It's all in your perspective. For some people LA is awful. For others, it's wonderful. It's so big that it also really REALLY depends on where you live. Your frame of mind, friends, how much money you have, etc... all have an impact as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,142 times
Where was the old place??

Old 04-11-2011, 05:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I felt pretty sick of living in LA after living here for 5 years or so. After hearing gunshots outside of my apartment, I moved.

Then I lived in a bunch of other places (Ventura, Boston, Austin) which made me realize how wonderful LA is. NOT the area where I heard gunshots, heh (I drove by my old place yesterday marvelling that I'd ever lived there).

It's all in your perspective. For some people LA is awful. For others, it's wonderful. It's so big that it also really REALLY depends on where you live. Your frame of mind, friends, how much money you have, etc... all have an impact as well.
Kind of reminds me of the story of the 6 or so blind men each describing an elephant. All of them at differant parts of the elephant. Each described a part of the elephant and said that what they touched was the entire elephant.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I agree that so much depends on where you live and who you spend your time with. I LOVED living in LA, although I know that I would not have been happy in every location. I also spent no time with the "superficial" LA that people love to deride; it just wasn't at all part of my experience with the city. I loved the diversity in LA, meaning diversity of ALL kinds -- people, obviously, but also architecture, types of neighborhoods, etc. There's something for everyone, and there's always something new to see or do. I also like a lot of other cities, and am excited to be moving to NYC next. Still, LA remains up there as one of my all-time favorite cities. It's so weird and big and endlessly fascinating. I'd happily move back if the opportunity arises down the road.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 PM

420 posts, read 878,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree that so much depends on where you live and who you spend your time with. I LOVED living in LA, although I know that I would not have been happy in every location. I also spent no time with the "superficial" LA that people love to deride; it just wasn't at all part of my experience with the city. I loved the diversity in LA, meaning diversity of ALL kinds -- people, obviously, but also architecture, types of neighborhoods, etc. There's something for everyone, and there's always something new to see or do. I also like a lot of other cities, and am excited to be moving to NYC next. Still, LA remains up there as one of my all-time favorite cities. It's so weird and big and endlessly fascinating. I'd happily move back if the opportunity arises down the road.
I totally agree, except I doubt I will move back to todays overcrowded, biased L.A. I grew up in the truly diverse old one that wasnt all about being mexican. It was just about loving L.A. for it being so "weird, big and endlessly fascinating."

Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post
I grew up in the truly diverse old one that wasnt all about being mexican. It was just about loving L.A. for it being so "weird, big and endlessly fascinating."
If it can be said to be "weird, big and endlessly fascinating" (which I agree with), then how can it also be "all about being mexican"?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzone View Post
I'm talking about Manhattan the most fasinating city in the world,Yeah I've been to LA, love the beachs in Calif, And the people I've met.But I'm a native new yorker.There are gangs all over the states you have to feel for the good people.Idon't know if you have ever been to NYC, from battery park to mid town mahattan ,I've never had trouble with gangs or anyone I mean you could find it if you want.Manhattan is a rich wealthy area the police don't take any BS from no one Ifeel safer there then any where plus so many things to do places to go.By the way if you're looking to relocate forgetaboutit you think LA is expensive.

Yep, I imagine NYC is pretty safe now. I lived in NYC when Dinkins was mayor.......HOLY COW, that place was scary. Just walking through Times Square was like walking through and open air drug market, scam games going on all over the place. But.....I was 22 so it was kinda fun and neat.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaniel View Post
As to "LA ghettos"... as a white immigrant from Europe I had spent many years fearing those certain particular LA ghettos... eventually, the circumstances had turned certain way for me and the dance parties I attend happen to be in San Bernardino and places like Florence-Graham (gang places hell yeah!), and bad parts new downtown LA.
I had the best times of my life partying there... and no locations will ever hold this special place in my heart, like San Bernardino and others. I had the happiest times there.
First time I drove into Florence-Graham at night, I though I'd be shot upon driving in lol.... but I felt at home there. To each it's own I guess.

No need to bash "gangsters" and look down on them--this country is ruled by the Rich who exploit the poor, and the rich are getting richer and poor are getting poorer by the day. No judgment upon people who decide to deal drugs and make money, like the rich scum CEOs, oil companies, Wall street, banks and other criminal theives--rather than make $8/hr at some job harmful for health, near toxic chemicals. F*ck the system!
And mind you, I'm not a natural-born thug, I'm an educated person, with 2 engineering degrees, a child of 2 professors of one of the schools highly ranked in the world--I'm not blind--one has to be blind not to see disgusting social inequality and exploitation that is going on, especially visible in California--I don't care for places like Westwood where the rich scum is reaping the benefits at someone else's expense. They need to be sent to pick up fruit in 120F heat, breathing pesticides and living 49 years on average (average life expectancy of US agricultural worker)--I mean those are the ones who have concern about their fruit being fresh, every day.
Wow, you must have come from a really left wing part of Europe, or maybe it was not left wing enough.....and that is why you escaped?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles