Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:05 PM

30 posts, read 90,484 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've been reading this forum for a long time and have wanted to move to LA since i first visited back in high school (over 10 years ago now!). i think i'll finally be moving in february. i am well aware that the job market is really poor right now, but even if i don't get a job lined up beforehand, i'm going to move anyway. i should have $7-$8k saved, and am well aware of rent prices.

As I search for jobs, under subjects like marketing, etc, a good number of jobs come up. I haven't started applying yet - probably in early december. my question is, will it be alll that difficult to get SOME sort of part time job, like waitressing, store clerk, something like that, in the meantime while i continue to look for full time work? or are those types of jobs extremely hard to come by right now as well?

i know many people will want to reply saying i shouldnt move without full time work lined up...but i just cant wait anymore. im nearing 30, and might be going to law school back in WI next fall anyway, so i might only end up staying in LA for 6-7 months anyway. of course, i would love to stay longer. so...do you think i would be able to come out there and line up a waitressing or other part time job within a week or 2 of arriving, just to get some $$ coming in??

thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 PM

132 posts, read 364,749 times
I'm new to LA and I've seen signs up for basic service jobs, so I don't think it's hopeless.

I understand your need to move, it's hard to look for a job from far away anyway, it's easier to hunt while in the target city. Sounds like you've got some savings and a plan, plus a backup plan, I think you should go for it!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,532 times
well, you don't absolutely have to be here to find a job. i'm moving to NYC in two weeks and was able to get a job there by applying right from here in LA. so it can be done. of course if you're looking for part-time gigs then yes, being here in LA might be better.

but yeah, i think there are definitely openings for part-time gigs and if you're not too picky then you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding something.

sounds like you've made adequate preparations already, so go for it and wish you the best!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 AM

9 posts, read 19,206 times
Default finding a job in LA

How did you go about looking for jobs in nyc while still in la? I want to move to LA sometime in the next 2 years or so to persue my dreams and i would like to be realistic about being able to find a job, live comfortably, etc.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa311 View Post
Hi! I've been reading this forum for a long time and have wanted to move to LA since i first visited back in high school (over 10 years ago now!). i think i'll finally be moving in february. i am well aware that the job market is really poor right now, but even if i don't get a job lined up beforehand, i'm going to move anyway. i should have $7-$8k saved, and am well aware of rent prices.

As I search for jobs, under subjects like marketing, etc, a good number of jobs come up. I haven't started applying yet - probably in early december. my question is, will it be alll that difficult to get SOME sort of part time job, like waitressing, store clerk, something like that, in the meantime while i continue to look for full time work? or are those types of jobs extremely hard to come by right now as well?

i know many people will want to reply saying i shouldnt move without full time work lined up...but i just cant wait anymore. im nearing 30, and might be going to law school back in WI next fall anyway, so i might only end up staying in LA for 6-7 months anyway. of course, i would love to stay longer. so...do you think i would be able to come out there and line up a waitressing or other part time job within a week or 2 of arriving, just to get some $$ coming in??

thank you!!!
obviously you know the answer, you are just hoping someone will say, "go for it" and some will. Can you get part time work, probably not, those jobs you see on line are mostly come ons. For the ones that are real there are 100s of applicants and the first chosen will be those who are living in the area now. So what can anyone say other than Good luck. Your 5 or 6 thousand will last about 2 or 3 months at most.

Nita

Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
,,, Your 5 or 6 thousand will last about 2 or 3 months at most.
Maybe 4 months if you sleep in your car.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,071,134 times
Nmnita & ferretkona, thanks guys for keeping it real.

To the OP, CA is a VERY expensive state and more expensive when you don't have a job. What is the point in moving here for only 6 months? People without jobs tend to move out of the state. If you want to be in LA so badly why not come her for about a month and then go back home while you have a place to live? Why do you have to live in LA? Where will you be staying when you get to LA, do you have a places lined up? I am assuming that you will be staying with friends and relatives since the stay is so short?

Good luck to you but to move to any part of CA without a job. This is not the time to make moves like this. That money you have saved is not a lot and can go very quickly like in month.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,826 times
I would tend to agree with the idea of a one-month vacation in LA. If you want, you could entertain yourself by looking for work (by all means, if you land work, then you could always make the move permanent), but until you find work, keep your options open back in Wisconsin.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I would tend to agree with the idea of a one-month vacation in LA. If you want, you could entertain yourself by looking for work (by all means, if you land work, then you could always make the move permanent), but until you find work, keep your options open back in Wisconsin.
I too think the idea of a one month vacation and taking time to look for a job would be the best plan. Yes, the savings would be gone by the time you rent a car and rent one of the long term corporate type of places, but it would certainly answer the question as to whether this is the place for you and if there are really jobs to be had. add to this, you visited 10 years ago. This is nothing like living someplace.

Oh, I am not referring to you timelesschild, I am addressing the OP. I am sure you know that.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
I haven't applied for any and all PT jobs lately, but I don't think it's going to be that easy to line something up right away. I'm hoping someone else with current LA experience will chime in with details of their own search, but for what it's worth my old work has laid off many of our PT people and reduced hours in the store. On the other hand, I do know of some places that are hiring, but also expect that they'll probably get a lot of applicants for those jobs.

Am I reading this right that you're thinking of trying to get a PT job, then get a FT job, then maybe leave in 6-7 months to return back to WI? Or would you stay in LA if you found permanent FT work? Why not call a temp place in LA and see how many people they're able to place right now? Assuming you are only staying a set amount of time, that sounds like your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles