Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM

13 posts, read 41,628 times

Advertisements

Me and my dad are planning to move to the LA area this summer, after school gets out. We have been researching for several months now, but still cant seem to find a safe, cheap apt. We need a One-Two bedroom, big enough for the two of us. We would like the downtown area, or Burbank area, but when we look it up, I can't find what i'm looking for, Any Help??
Thanks.

Last edited by raylt08; 01-13-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Safe and cheap don't usually go together in Los Angeles, unfortunately. You have to sacrifice something if you really want to live here. What price range are you looking for?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
The three you list are good but the individual landlord will use a site like Craigslist more than the others.

There are scams though in Craigslist. I was curious about the scammers so I responded to a few. Here is what I found

The scams are generally in two categories
1. Those that want to collect prepayments (1st month + security, etc) without ever owning the property
2. Those that want you to click their sites to either charge a fee for credit checks etc or to phish for personal information

They are usually easy to spot. Below market rates, no address provided, generic location, etc

You can do a good search on the email address and you might find the same email address used all around the country in craigslist. Scam

What I would recommend, only consider those with an address, at least a street name. Use Google Street View to verify the building at that address.

I use a property manager for a variety of reasons and I do feel it legitimizes my properties a bit. Instead of dealing with an individual, a property manager is generally staked in the neighborhood. Google them to verify their existence.

Never give any personal information until you see the property. You should not need to prequalify just to see a property that is advertised on Craigslist (there are exceptions on very high end properties)

The large complexes will advertise on apartment.com, etc but the small landlords will use Craigslist a lot. Check them both to find a unit that works best for you.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
the site i used are the BEST your dealing with LEGIT management DIRECTLY ...........CL is filled with scams.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 PM

21 posts, read 81,433 times
what's your budget?
some parts of east l.a. aren't bad, but you really have to watch out.
i would suggest alhambra and some of the neighboring cities.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 41,628 times
Well It's two of us, and when I've been looking around, it seems that 2 bdrms are around 750-850. But we really like downtown, but I cant find any downtown apts, or any information on downtown, is it safe, and what about the price? And does anybody know where all of the jobs are, my dad has about 3 years of waiting exp. And anybody know where to look for jobs, I whent on the Los Angeles Times site and jobs sites but can't find a good job site, any help? And ANY preference on where all the good neighborhoods are with restaurants that are popular (with people, tourist...) We want a neighborhood thats safe (Not having to worry about going out after dark), and a neighborhood relatively close to "the hot spots", and where everybody is at (the more people, the more buisness the restaurant gets, therefore, the more money you make) and so on... Any help??
-Thanks!!!

Last edited by raylt08; 01-17-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 11:34 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
If you are finding 2 bedrooms for $750-800 a month, you are getting false information.

They are not that inexpensive...at least not in any neighborhood you'd even grudingly live in.

Burbank 2 bedroom apartments start at around $1200-1500/mo. Downtown, its more than that.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
the site i used are the BEST your dealing with LEGIT management DIRECTLY ...........CL is filled with scams.
you are so right about CL. It is too bad as they were a perfect seach site for a few years.

Nita

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylt08 View Post
Well It's two of us, and when I've been looking around, it seems that 2 bdrms are around 750-850. But we really like downtown, but I cant find any downtown apts, or any information on downtown, is it safe, and what about the price? And does anybody know where all of the jobs are, my dad has about 3 years of waiting exp. And anybody know where to look for jobs, I whent on the Los Angeles Times site and jobs sites but can't find a good job site, any help? And ANY preference on where all the good neighborhoods are with restaurants that are popular (with people, tourist...) We want a neighborhood thats safe (Not having to worry about going out after dark), and a neighborhood relatively close to "the hot spots", and where everybody is at (the more people, the more buisness the restaurant gets, therefore, the more money you make) and so on... Any help??
-Thanks!!!
i know this isn't what you want to hear but the facts don't lie. You will not even find a decent 1 bedroom for that price and if you do, the area will be not much better than a ghetto, if that nice. Add to that jobs are very hard to get regardless of what experience you dad has. As for living downtown, there really are not that many apartments in downtown Los Angeles. I would suggest you think more about places like Pasadena, the valley or even the island empire...Will you still be in school? If so, you are going to have to think about the school districts as well. Your dad is going to going up against lots of wait personell with many years experience. As the basic chains like TGIF and Applebees close more and more people with experience will be looking for jobs.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles