Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 10,939 times

Advertisements

Hello People,

I am 27 year old professional moving to El Segundo for my new job next month and am looking for a safe, clean neighborhood that offers diversity, culture, young crowd and an active social/night scene. At this point, I am open to both: living with a roommate or staying by myself in a 1 BR/Studio (Budget approx 1600). Any inputs on which areas should I be looking into? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 09:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Have you been to El Segundo and the vicinity before?

I think you will have lots of choices, not sure on the budget. In general, try to stay west of the 405. Loyola University is just north of El Segundo and LAX and because it is a university community there in Westchester, there are all sorts of things to do, places to eat, etc. South Bay beach communities from El Segundo down to Torrance, Marina Del Rey and north of LAX.

Others will chime in, but in the mean time, familiarize yourself with HousingMaps, MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps, and Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments

Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks Charles! I was actually there 3 weeks ago for my interview. I also went to Manhattan beach for dining and loved it. Are you suggesting that even $1,600 for a studio in places in and around El Segundo could be a challenge?

I did some research and have come up with these areas around El Segundo: Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo Beach, Culver City, West Torrance, Marine Del Ray, Playa Del Ray, Westchester, Long Beach, Westwood and Brentwood. Did I miss out any or include too much :-)?

Thanks
S

Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,903,203 times
I guess a question would be, do you want to live in a party town or have close/easy access to them. If it's the latter, you could look into El Segundo itself. You could find a place for $1600. Same place would cost you considerably more in Manhattan or Hermosa Beach. If you don't like El Segundo, then look into Playa del Rey, Marina del Rey and Culver City. Being north of El Segundo puts you traveling in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic - but only up to a point. Anything south of West Torrance will be a 30-minute+ commute. Westwood and Brentwood would likely be over 30-minutes as well.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,212,047 times
i think hermosa beach and manhattan beach are your best bet. they both have easy access to el segundo and have plenty to do. if you really like to go out, living in hermosa beach near the pier would be your best bet.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:02 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,627,546 times
Hermosa Beach is nice but very pricey. Lots of my friends have moved down to Redondo Beach & neighboring South Bay communities like San Pedro. It's got a good vibe with an active bar/lounge scene, and none of the botox boob-job bimbos hanging off the arms of divorced sugar daddies you tend to find in Manhattan Beach or Playa Vista/Playa del Rey. Learn to love LA traffic because it's only going to get worse!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsingh2 View Post
Thanks Charles! I was actually there 3 weeks ago for my interview. I also went to Manhattan beach for dining and loved it. Are you suggesting that even $1,600 for a studio in places in and around El Segundo could be a challenge?

I did some research and have come up with these areas around El Segundo: Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo Beach, Culver City, West Torrance, Marine Del Ray, Playa Del Ray, Westchester, Long Beach, Westwood and Brentwood. Did I miss out any or include too much :-)?

Thanks
S
The only thing that stuck out from those towns above was the distance Brentwood and Westwood are from El Segundo. It may not look like much, but afternoon traffic on the 405 northbound is murder. Even at 3PM it is bumper to bumper from about the 10 (best case, on Mondays) or National or Washington to past Sunset - after Sunset it mellows out a little. Lincoln is a little better but there are a lot of lights. Long Beach is a schlep too.

I posted some El Segundo photos on here;

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13210546-post174.html

Old 03-14-2010, 07:12 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,903,203 times
Nice pix Charles. Need a bit more of the residential side. Maybe I'll grab a camera this week.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like the coming few weeks would keep me quite busy. Nonetheless, I look forward to LA and all the glamor it comes with :-).

Sim

Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 18,769 times
If I were young and single my choice would be Culver City.The city has done a great job revitilizing their downtown with lively restaurants and bars. The location can't be beat you are basically in the middle of all things great about L.A. I have not checked out the rent but I think you should be able to find something for $1600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles