Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 AM

20 posts, read 68,437 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I was born and raised in Van Nuys from 1965-1990. Went to First Baptist Church School, Madison Jr. High, Van Nuys High School. Grew up going to Sherman Oaks Galleria, Fashion Square, (across from Trader Joes) Yeah TJ's!! Brother worked there, love their products!! Went to Jolly Rodger, Hamburger Hamlet, Barone's Famous Italian Rest., Bob's Big Boy. Cupid's Hot Dogs, Tommies to name a few!! Know the area well but have'nt been back since i moved. Just wondering how everything looks today or if they are still there......heard threw the grapevine it's not good. But joined this site and wanted to see if any locals could put in their thoughts! Any info or pics would be great, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
My wife went to Madison, she was born in 1969. Her brother did too and he was born around 66 or 67, he went to Grant.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Cool! Any word how Van Nuys looks and surrounding area?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaFrapQueen View Post
Cool! Any word how Van Nuys looks and surrounding area?
Use Google Street View.

Madison Middle school

madison junior high north hollywood - Google Maps

VNB and Sherman Way

VNB - Google Maps

Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,559 times
I try to stay as far away as possible from Van Nuys. The area by the Fashion Square is not so bad, though. Mostly just conjested and boring but that's closer to Sherman Oaks. There's still a Tommie's on Roscoe and the Budwiser plant is still there (I saw on TV that there used to be a Busch Gardens there; did you go when you were little?).

I grew up going to "Malibu Castle" and Sherman Oaks Galleria. Sepulveda is desolate and has street walkers at night above Burbank Blvd but Sherman Oaks Galleria has been converted into a decent little walking mall with an Arclight (the only reason I go there) theater and "Malibu Castle" is now "Castle Park" but I haven't been inside in quite some time.

Van Nuys Blvd is still somewhat decent around Burbank Blvd also but the area above Victory has gone very far downhill. Don't even go near Panorama City.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 AM

I used to live right behinde that Budwiser plant off of Mammoth Ave!!! Hated that smell all the time. I don't remember it ever being a Busch Gardens there... I forgot all about the Castle! Wow! I'm very surprised Van Nuys Blvd is still somewhat decent, my Dad went for a Class Reunion and said it was like Little Tijuana!! He was a Postman and his route was Van Nuys Blvd and neighboring streets and said it's changed and not good. I would probably be very sad if i saw it now. Thanks for update

Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,559 times
Yeah. None of the good stuff is there anymore. Black Angus was the last thing to go around the Panorama mall. The only business left from "the old days" is the IHOP and it's in pretty bad shape. I would go so far as to compare it to Broadway in downtown L.A. in the late 80s and early 90s. That's white flight for ya.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
i work near sepulveda in sherman oaks and drive up towards van nuys on occasion. there's a lot of activity in the area, but it's not really nice. i've seen hookers during my lunch break on sepulveda up near the target, i don't think i'd spend any time that way after dark.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,305 times
Default Where Did It Go??

I'm not living there anymore but in Van Nuys, there was the First Baptist Church that my family belonged to. After many years gone by, I felt nostalgic about it. It was on Sherman Way and Kester.
The address was 14800 Sherman Way. After googling it, I see it is no longer a 1st Baptist Church. Where did it go? Anyone know?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
I try to stay as far away as possible from Van Nuys. The area by the Fashion Square is not so bad, though. Mostly just conjested and boring but that's closer to Sherman Oaks.
Fashion Square is in Sherman Oaks, not close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles