Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,920 times

Advertisements

My family is trying to move from Ohio to Santa Clarita, but we are having huge problems getting someone to sell us a house! Everything we find that suits us is a foreclosure & the mortgage companies just will not move on getting anything sold. We have been making offers on houses for the past nine months and have gotten nowhere. My husband has been working & living in SC since last May and I am stuck here in Ohio with our 4 kids (ages 2-14).

We haven't been able to find a house in SC that is not a short sale. We did find some that were regular sales in Acton, and are seriously considering buying there. It's a bit more of a commute than we'd really like to SC and I understand the weather isn't as nice & that it can be really windy & dusty. I could probably live with all that if it's not too extreme, but the one big drawback I'm having trouble getting around is the schools. From what I've read, they are not very good in Acton. Is it true that there is no permanent high school building, but just trailers? And that they don't have a HS gym, library or indoor cafeteria? This seems hard to believe. Some of the posts I read were old, and I'm hoping someone can tell me if things have improved any school-wise in Acton? Do they have a HS boys' soccer team and marching band? Is it at all feasible to have your child transferred to the SC school district? Do they let you do that?

Also, is Acton so close to Palmdale that there is a problem with crime & violence there? I have spent some time in SC in the past year & I love it there, but I know nothing about Acton. We are desperate to move by the beginning of summer & any info anyone could provide would be so appreciated. Thanks!

Becky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,020 times
Acton has 2,390 residents. You will be lucky to find someone that lives here that is on this forum. Just some advice, but in general, schools with an API state rank of 8/10 are considered good. 7/10 schools can be good too, kind of a transition score. 6/10 or lower and I would be looking at a case by case basis as to why the test scores are low at the school. Call the school district serving Acton to ask about transfers and whether they allow it.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 10,920 times
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been trying to check the Acton-Agua Dulce school district website, but it seems to be down or something. I can't get any of the links to work. I'll keep trying.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Try this in the meantime:

School Performance Maps

Old 03-27-2009, 12:46 PM

158 posts, read 604,621 times
We don't live in Acton, but the private school our kids attend in the Antelope Valley is where several families from Acton bring their kids each and every day, if that tells you anything.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:32 PM

570 posts, read 1,582,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoward914 View Post
My family is trying to move from Ohio to Santa Clarita, but we are having huge problems getting someone to sell us a house! Everything we find that suits us is a foreclosure & the mortgage companies just will not move on getting anything sold. We have been making offers on houses for the past nine months and have gotten nowhere. My husband has been working & living in SC since last May and I am stuck here in Ohio with our 4 kids (ages 2-14).

We haven't been able to find a house in SC that is not a short sale. We did find some that were regular sales in Acton, and are seriously considering buying there. It's a bit more of a commute than we'd really like to SC and I understand the weather isn't as nice & that it can be really windy & dusty. I could probably live with all that if it's not too extreme, but the one big drawback I'm having trouble getting around is the schools. From what I've read, they are not very good in Acton. Is it true that there is no permanent high school building, but just trailers? And that they don't have a HS gym, library or indoor cafeteria? This seems hard to believe. Some of the posts I read were old, and I'm hoping someone can tell me if things have improved any school-wise in Acton? Do they have a HS boys' soccer team and marching band? Is it at all feasible to have your child transferred to the SC school district? Do they let you do that?

Also, is Acton so close to Palmdale that there is a problem with crime & violence there? I have spent some time in SC in the past year & I love it there, but I know nothing about Acton. We are desperate to move by the beginning of summer & any info anyone could provide would be so appreciated. Thanks!

Becky
I think I can say for sure Acton schools are better then Palmdale/Lancaster schools. Acton is not full of gangs and the kind of people that belong too them. Yet

Old 04-25-2010, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,873 times
Default reply

If you would like to talk to someone that has been in the area for a long time please feel free to call. 562-552-4151. We have been looking for a home here as well and we are running into the same problems as you. We have finally found an agent that acutually makes sure the propertys are available and at least in decent condition prior to looking. The short sale problem is still going to exist. Your not just dealing with the owner but the banks as well. At times you think your going to hit a home run and then you find out the bank has accepted another offer or there is 5 other offers on the table and then it is a bidding war. We are definatley considering acton, and have gone as far as considering Castaic. You will get mixed reviews on castaic. Santa clarita is going to be tough to find a home, unless you will consider a townhouse. Price will be tough as well. 280,000 will get you a a shack and a bidding war, 325,000 will get you a decent place but it will need work. above that, If your lucky you will find something in an old neighborhood and hopefully in somewhat good condition. I am sorry to sound not so optomistic but I come from a town of wide open spaces and I too, As I think you will. Is have a hard time having a yard you can barely fit two people in. Take a look at aquadolce as well. Good luck in your search. Oh if you would like to call the real estate agent that we are working with her name is cyle. her number is 661-607-8525. I have been through 4 agents because they have not even qualified the houses as to whether they are available or not. It sure gets annoying when you find something that you are intersted in and come to find out you never even had the chance to make an offer. The best advice I can offer is to make sure whoever you use you make them tow the line as respect to your time. By the way if you can rent for a while BofA is supposed to start taking back 45,000 more homes a month here shortly and the tax credit goes away. On top of that california is offering a 10,000 dollar credit. now. The BofA deal will probably open up the market on the buyers side. At least I hope. Anyway I am just rambling. Hope it helps

Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoward914 View Post

Becky

Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,873 times
Default Oh forgot

I know the most important things is your kids. I have been looking at the schools as well. I do know that LA County schools are not good. I have always been a big fan of going to the school and interviewing the teachers. Each school is only as good as the Teacher and the Curriculum.

Guy

Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,794 times
Home school your kids.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegl79 View Post
I do know that LA County schools are not good.
Where did you get that idea from? LAUSD schools, with some exceptions, are not very good.

But other schools within LA County are extremely good and include the highest rated school in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles