Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 11,793 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering purchasing his mother's home in Hawthorne and I was wondering about the area. House is on 137th Place - between Oceangate and La Cienega. Close to freeway -

I think that particular area is still pretty safe. She lived there for over 30 yrs and never had a problem. I love the house as it is big...and in good shape.

Still, I would love to get input from people who may live in the area or know of others who live over there. I know Holly Glen is a good area and I believe Del Aire falls right below.

Thank you in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i've been looking at houses in the area as well. i understand the west of the 405 is deemed to be better than east for the 405, but overall both appear to be nice. i guess the schools are very good and of course you're not far from the ocean. you are also close to the airport, by the landing side not the taking off side, so jet noise shouldn't be an issue. my only concern would be the proximity to the freeway. i've read studies that say living close to the freeway (especially for children) can be really unhealthy. and the 405 is one of the busiest freeways in the country. maybe a good air filter could fix this, i'm not sure though.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Del Aire (unincorporated LA County) for the most part is not in the outstanding El Segundo School district but it is confusing if it is in the below average Hawthorne School District. It is an obscure school district called Wiseburn. Still, I think the kids there attend Great Schools 2 out of 10 Hawthorne High School (same school the Beach Boys attended). It looks like the new 360Southbay subdivision will share these schools.

Wiseburn Elementary School District Overview | GreatSchools

Here's a little history:

State Backs School District Secession Bid - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by Charles; 05-16-2010 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 07:26 PM

there's a new wiseburn high school that opened in the last couple of years. i guess that it's not very big, but at least you get to avoid hawthorne high.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
there's a new wiseburn high school that opened in the last couple of years. i guess that it's not very big, but at least you get to avoid hawthorne high.

I couldn't find it. Does it have a different name? Some sort of small charter? (Greatschools doesn't see it and the Wiseburn school district web site isn't responding.)

Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 PM

Da Vinci Schools

Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,952 times
I have lived in Hawthorne all my life, raised a family and owned a couple of businesses and all I consider a success. Hawthorne is a perfect location and nice city. The area you are mentioning is nice and is well kept. I dont know about schools, but I do know that the Wiseburn District is rated high.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotapa View Post
Hawthorne is a perfect location and nice city.
I just checked the date of this post. It was written October 4, 1958.

Old video on Hawthorne

Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Default Del Aire - Wiseburn - HollyGlen

For the record, Wiseburn is working very hard to get their own high school and I believe it is going to become a reality. That will be nice. My daughter is grown - married and I don't have to worry about her attending schools anymore BUT if she were of school aged...Wiseburn has the BEST schools and that is simply the truth. I am not sure when they will break ground on the new high school.

This area is nice - good neighbors and for the most part very nice-manicured lawns and homes! I think there might be some rentals and that may be why some of the houses are not well kept or perhaps elderly live in them and it's just not important anymore to keep them up. We have a good relationship with our law enforcement here which is due to our wonderful neighborhood watch. I absolutely love living here...As I mentioned in one of my other posts...we purchased my mother-in-laws home after her death. No regrets!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Here is where there is information regarding the new Wiseburn High School Wiseburn High School I hope this link works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles