Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times

Advertisements

I am doing research in the case of possibly relocating to work at the Stennis Space Center and have no idea where would be the smartest place to choose to live, either smaller town in LA or smaller towns in MS?

I love smaller towns, but am open to safe, economical with good schools. I have two school-age children (Kindergarten & Middle-schooler), so good schools would be a definite must. I don't care about night-life, shopping, etc. They're all close enough.

I have been considering Slidell & Picayune, but not sure if some of the coastal cities in MS would be practical as well? Can anyone tell me some pros and cons of the two states in comparison? (Housing, taxes, auto-insurance) any of these differ much with each state? Offer other suggestions of cities/towns within relatively short commute to Stennis?

Any suggestions would be great and much appreciated!

ESPECIALLY since I've never even visited either state!

Last edited by desiree253; 05-16-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 04:10 PM

194 posts, read 528,823 times
One great community you could look at would be the suburb of Moss Bluff, Louisiana, just north of Lake Charles, Louisiana. The home and property prices are low, so you can build or buy without too much. All of the public schools are good, and there are private schools available. Moss Bluff is growing (about 12-15,000) - it is an unincorporated community so the services are provided by the parish.

Lake Charles is about less than 3 hours from Houston, and about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. There is a little shopping in Moss Bluff too.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:37 PM

245 posts, read 455,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtcg View Post
One great community you could look at would be the suburb of Moss Bluff, Louisiana, just north of Lake Charles, Louisiana. The home and property prices are low, so you can build or buy without too much. All of the public schools are good, and there are private schools available. Moss Bluff is growing (about 12-15,000) - it is an unincorporated community so the services are provided by the parish.

Lake Charles is about less than 3 hours from Houston, and about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. There is a little shopping in Moss Bluff too.
I believe their intent would be to remain close to Stennis. Moss Bluff would not be a convenient commute for them.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Moss Bluff is on the other side of the state from the Stennis facility .

Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:

Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM

194 posts, read 528,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
I believe their intent would be to remain close to Stennis. Moss Bluff would not be a convenient commute for them.
OH my apologies!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM

245 posts, read 455,198 times
Quote:
OH my apologies!
No worries!

Back to the OP: I'd comment further on the differences between the two states if I had more first-hand experience with MS. It seems the two cities you're researching (Slidell vs. Picayune) are pretty reasonable options, with regard to proximity.

Were it me; I'd probably research Waveland, Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian for their locations on the coast. But, that reflects my own personal preferences. If you have any more specific questions, or maybe even a list of characteristics that would be important to you for your new home town, post them up. I'm sure if you narrow down the questions a bit, plenty of people will be happy to answer for Louisiana. Have you tried the MS forum? If so, any luck?

P.S. Can anyone comment on how any of the towns I listed above are doing these days?

Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM

D'Iberville is also a pretty good town. Not super close to Stennis but worth considering.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times
Thank you for the responses! Sorry for the delay too!
Yes, I've also posted in the MS forum. I suppose my biggest questions regarding the coastal towns you mentioned are totally fear based. I'd LOVE to be closer to the beach. Totally my preference, however after the Katrina disaster, I have a really huge fear of what contaminants are in the soil, etc from the decaying bodies, the raw sewage, the rodents, the chemicals, just EVERYTHING that contaminated most of those coastal areas and towns. These may be totally base-less, but from someone who's never been, this is just the things I worry about, especially having two children who would be growing up and spending their childhood wherever we settle. Anybody have any comments on that aspect of moving there? Honestly, those fears would be my biggest concern (and wondering what the homeless/crime percentages are affecting those same areas due to the abandoned/delapidated homes & buildings I imagine are still widespread in those parts? Maybe I just have a grimmer picture in my head than is reality? I sure hope so! All comments welcome and thanks for the input!

P.S. I assumed Lake Charles was at Lake Ponchartrain and so thought the town he mentioned would work... LOL... not had time to check out the location, so glad you all knew it was not close to Stennis!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Thank you for the responses! Sorry for the delay too!
Yes, I've also posted in the MS forum. I suppose my biggest questions regarding the coastal towns you mentioned are totally fear based. I'd LOVE to be closer to the beach. Totally my preference, however after the Katrina disaster, I have a really huge fear of what contaminants are in the soil, etc from the decaying bodies, the raw sewage, the rodents, the chemicals, just EVERYTHING that contaminated most of those coastal areas and towns. These may be totally base-less, but from someone who's never been, this is just the things I worry about, especially having two children who would be growing up and spending their childhood wherever we settle. Anybody have any comments on that aspect of moving there? Honestly, those fears would be my biggest concern (and wondering what the homeless/crime percentages are affecting those same areas due to the abandoned/delapidated homes & buildings I imagine are still widespread in those parts? Maybe I just have a grimmer picture in my head than is reality? I sure hope so! All comments welcome and thanks for the input!

P.S. I assumed Lake Charles was at Lake Ponchartrain and so thought the town he mentioned would work... LOL... not had time to check out the location, so glad you all knew it was not close to Stennis!
I don't know if I would be as worried about contamination and things like that, especially in coastal Mississippi. When the storm passed, the water went right back out into the gulf. The soil didn't marinate in the contaminated water for upwards of a month like in a few parts of the New Orleans area. That's the one bad thing about levees. If they do their job and keep the water out, there isn't a problem. But if the water gets in, they make it much harder and slower to get the water back out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana