Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,072 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, my partner and I are moving to Louisville on May 1. We have been looking at and contacting apartments for about the last month. It seems like every time we find one that fits what we need financially, location-wise and everything else, we try to contact the owners/managers only to find that they hardly ever reply. If they do reply and we get in contact with them, they are terse and short, only answering our questions with one-line answers. Usually we get no reply at all, or when they find out we are from out of state/cant attend a showing/whatnot, they stop talking to us.

This is our first move out of state, but we so far have not had a good impression with Louisville. We have friends who have moved out of state with little hassle to other areas of the country and no one understands why we can't get a hold of anyone in Louisville. We have money, jobs, college degrees, good credit reports, are good tenants, don't smoke or do drugs, rarely drink, nothing illegal, quiet, etc. We are very honest, responsible people. Why can't we find a place to rent in Louisville? We're not sure what to do. We have to be down there soon, but we have no idea what we will do if we can't find housing. Any suggestions any one? The only thing I can think of is that they see we are from out of state and either think we are scammers, spam, or they are just too lazy to work with out-of-staters. I'm not sure what else we can do at this point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:38 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Why don't you guys just rent a room for now...

Get in the area first, then while your there, continue to look for soemthing more permanent.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Why don't you guys just rent a room for now...

Get in the area first, then while your there, continue to look for soemthing more permanent.
You'd think people would get housing lined up before they committed to move. Shows how much I know..

Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Well, I need to be more direct because I'm not sure about something

You used the term "partner" are you guys in a same sex relationship? You and your partner?

I'm asking because, after reading your comment, I saw that and I thought that's what you were implying. Just asking...

Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Do you have current jobs lined up in Louisville? Most Apartments want you to be employed, in the city you are living in.
I have rented Apartments out of state, and in Louisville, and never had trouble....is there something you are missing on why this would be so difficult? I am just asking, because it's all I can think of...they are usually very willing to get your business. I disagree with EE, I think Louisville is one of the friendliest cities that I have lived in.

Eric, Even if they are gay or just living together, most people don't care (or discriminate) about that anymore - at least it seems that way to me.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Do you have current jobs lined up in Louisville? Most Apartments want you to be employed, in the city you are living in.
I have rented Apartments out of state, and in Louisville, and never had trouble....is there something you are missing on why this would be so difficult? I am just asking, because it's all I can think of...they are usually very willing to get your business. I disagree with EE, I think Louisville is one of the friendliest cities that I have lived in.

Eric, Even if they are gay or just living together, most people don't care (or discriminate) about that anymore - at least it seems that way to me.
Well I know, but, I wasn't sure.....

Even so, think about it......if the landlords are older folks and are very religious or traditional, they may be uncomfortable, afraid...or just downright don't want anything to do with any renters with a lifestyle like that, let's face it, some folks are like that, especially the older people. I'm being blunt and direct....but it's the truth. Even so..THAT many landlords? I mean, I'm surprised the OP is having so much trouble.

What gives?

It's just true what I said above and it wouldn't suprise me a bit, at least with some of them.....I say this because I find it odd that the OP is having so much trouble. So, really, unless if we're missing something, this is the only assumption I can come to at this point based on the info provided.

Maybe the OP has just contacted a bunch of landlords that have recently come off of some pretty BAD experiences with previous renters? I dunno honestly.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-07-2015 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 03:58 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Well I know, but, I wasn't sure.....

Even so, think about it......if the landlords are older folks and are very religious or traditional, they may be uncomfortable, afraid...or just downright don't want anything to do with any renters with a lifestyle like that, let's face it, some folks are like that, especially the older people. I'm being blunt and direct....but it's the truth. Even so..THAT many landlords? I mean, I'm surprised the OP is having so much trouble.

What gives?

It's just true what I said above and it wouldn't suprise me a bit, at least with some of them.....I say this because I find it odd that the OP is having so much trouble. So, really, unless if we're missing something, this is the only assumption I can come to at this point based on the info provided.

Maybe the OP has just contacted a bunch of landlords that have recently come off of some pretty BAD experiences with previous renters? I dunno honestly.

Actually, you may be right...it's been a bit since I rented, and I always did so as a married woman..and it was always through Real Estate people and/or Property management people, and it was always very business like and professional (even though I was not in a relationship that people might discriminate against, I did have gay neighbors and straight neighbors who lived together, and weren't married...you are right, if it were run by an older couple or very religious couple they might have discriminated against those neighbors.(I would think that the law might protect people from discrimination) but I am sure you might be right.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
You could always go through a private owner who owns a home or a home that has been turned into apartments. Not sure where you're looking to live, but these kinds og places are all over the Highlands area, old Louisville, etc...

I've always gone through individuals or a property management company and have never had any real problems. Honestly, Craigslist is a great place to find apartments.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Perks View Post
Hey guys, my partner and I are moving to Louisville on May 1. We have been looking at and contacting apartments for about the last month. It seems like every time we find one that fits what we need financially, location-wise and everything else, we try to contact the owners/managers only to find that they hardly ever reply. If they do reply and we get in contact with them, they are terse and short, only answering our questions with one-line answers. Usually we get no reply at all, or when they find out we are from out of state/cant attend a showing/whatnot, they stop talking to us.

This is our first move out of state, but we so far have not had a good impression with Louisville. We have friends who have moved out of state with little hassle to other areas of the country and no one understands why we can't get a hold of anyone in Louisville. We have money, jobs, college degrees, good credit reports, are good tenants, don't smoke or do drugs, rarely drink, nothing illegal, quiet, etc. We are very honest, responsible people. Why can't we find a place to rent in Louisville? We're not sure what to do. We have to be down there soon, but we have no idea what we will do if we can't find housing. Any suggestions any one? The only thing I can think of is that they see we are from out of state and either think we are scammers, spam, or they are just too lazy to work with out-of-staters. I'm not sure what else we can do at this point...
Not a local / non local thing, most apartment complexes are large and have one receptionist who is probably overwhelmed.

What areas are you looking in and in what price range? People on this forum have lots of helpful info to get you in the right place.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:06 PM

36 posts, read 36,273 times
I've only been here a month... moved from out of state. Didn't have any issues with apartment managers and me coming from out of state. You just have to be careful and realize that all they're in it for is to rent their apartment, they'll tell you anything and everything to get that to happen.

Committing to anything long term sight unseen is a real long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: