Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 05:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Did the original poster ask about schools or neighborhoods? Why do you have a problem with Bullitt or Spencer counties? Best move I ever made was getting out of Jefferson county and moving to Spencer 15 years ago. You should visit the country sometime. Who knows, you just might like it. On second thought, never mind.
If Louisville's Eastern Suburbs (including Oldham & Shelby Co) didn't have the South End and Bullitt Co draging them down Lousiville they would be comparable to Raleigh. Basically all suburban areas in Lexington and NKY have 40%+ with a Bachelor's Degree and a median family income of $60,000+. SouthWest Louisville and Bullitt County are only 11% college educated and have a median family income of $45,000. They are absolute dumps compared to any other suburban areas in KY. Bullitt Co has a lower college education rate than PIKE COUNTY and worse public schools than most counties in Eastern KY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Census> So now you're saying that it's Bullitt county's fault that Jefferson county doesn't have more college educated citizens. There are areas in Jefferson county that may not be contributing to the college educated professionals that would bump your numbers - west end maybe?

The Mt Washington area (Bullitt county) is quite nice with substantial growth - to include the school system. The private school system in Louisville is wildly popular - maybe because the public system leaves some to be desired. There are good schools and poor performing schools in every district but it's unfortunate that the good ones are not highlighted on this site.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Census> So now you're saying that it's Bullitt county's fault that Jefferson county doesn't have more college educated citizens.
No, actually Bullitt Co substantially helps Jefferson Co by draining it of its uneducation citizens. It is a drag on the entire Metro area.

I had a class about US cities ranked by internet usage. Bullitt Co had the lowest percentage of internet users of ANY county in a metro area in the US. The South End and Bullitt Co were enough to put Louisville at the bottom of its 15 peer cities in internet usage, despite the East End and Oldham Co being above the national average.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
No, actually Bullitt Co substantially helps Jefferson Co by draining it of its uneducation citizens. It is a drag on the entire Metro area.

I had a class about US cities ranked by internet usage. Bullitt Co had the lowest percentage of internet users of ANY county in a metro area in the US. The South End and Bullitt Co were enough to put Louisville at the bottom of its 15 peer cities in internet usage, despite the East End and Oldham Co being above the national average.
Censusdata, it is one thing to have opinions, but to state them as absolute fact without proper citation could be harmful. What do you think the "uneducated" masses in Bullit would say if they saw that post? I am not saying I don't believe you or your class, but your post would be much more credible if you posted a scientific study showing that Bullit is among the lowest internet users in any metro area.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Since when has internet usage equalled better people?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
Quote:

You may have had a class, but you have no class. Calling a whole county a dump, that's just wrong.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:07 AM

81 posts, read 254,310 times
Quote:

Geez, the internet...who cares. Im tired of it myself. I know you think that this area is the armpit (in your words) of louisville, but what does that make the west end? The ass#$^? Well at least its a cleaner one. Now that my taxes have cleaned it. But youll see they cant keep anything nice down there.

Ill trade lower test scores (i will as a responsible parent take care of that) and plain houses, for no crime and decent people.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Please, no personal attacks! We can state opinions while keeping it clean.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:52 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Please, no personal attacks! We can state opinions while keeping it clean.
Sorry. That kind of arrogance tends to get to me.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:57 AM

22 posts, read 80,810 times
Well since we got on the topic of schools. If you go to Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools. ,you will see how they rank the school districts in any state. According to the website, Jefferson County is ranked 106 out of 155 districts. Hardin County is 108 out of 155. Spencer County is ranked 110 out of 155. Bullitt County is ranked 112 out of 155. Oldham County is 10 of 155. Shelby County is 75 of 155. So basically all counties besides Oldham and Shelby are ranked about the same. However that does not mean that ANY of these counties do not have good schools. A county can have VERY good schools, but they also have very bad schools, so this will lower their rank. You just have to check the schools in the area you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area