Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 01:04 AM

687 posts, read 1,945,433 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a job working at the airport (SDF). I will need to buy a home within commuting distance to work. How do home costs stack up in Indiana as opposed to Kentucky? It appears that I can live in either state. I was wondering how the COL - property taxes, income taxes and vehicle registration, etc. compare. Are they about the same or do you think there would be an advantage to living in one state over the other?

Next, can anyone recommend a community within 30 minutes drive to the airport? I can spend up to 500k, but would prefer to keep it under if possible. I don't want to live in a flood plain. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Looks like we'll be moving in 60 days or so depending on my negotiating skills.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,
Croce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 05:02 AM

39 posts, read 150,536 times
As far as Kentucky communities go you have many choices as far as nice communities within 30 min. to the airport. If you don't want to live in the city you might look into Prospect, Goshen, Crestwood, and the East end of Louisville, they offer an easy commute to the airport without being in the city. It really depends on what kind of lifestyle you would like since Louisville offers an array of communities that vary widely, what things are important to you? For example are schools a concern? Parks? Shopping? Would you rather have more land or more house? A new house or a beautifully restored historic home downtown?

Old 06-08-2007, 09:16 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,926 times
For around 500k you would want to look in the East End. Subdivisions like Lake Forest, Polo Fields, Locust Creek and others in the Middletown area offer homes in that price range and are less then 30 min. from the airport. Also, you may want to look in Pewee Valley, Anchorage, or Crestwood. All those places are less then 10 min. from shopping, restaurants, ect. To answer your KY vs. IND. comparison, Kentucky has a lot more to offer then Indiana, you'll find that your going to have to come over to Kentucky anyways to find a lot of what your looking for as far as stores and entertainment goes. Houses in Indiana are WAY cheaper then in KY basically because Kentucky is more desirable. If you want more land and dont want to be in a subdivision you may want to look in Shelby or Bullitt Counties, or farther out in Oldam County, but prices for land there are getting expensive because of the great school system and it is the wealthiest county in Kentucky so everyone wants to move out there.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,433 times
Thanks for the replies. I like some of the homes in Bullet county I have seen on the net. Did not know that Oldham county was one of the wealthiest ones, so that might be worth a look. I appreciate your take on IN as far as things to do and such. My wife says any house we buy must have a 3 car garage, a walk-in pantry in the kitchen and granite countertops. So those are the parameters and there seems to be plenty within our price range. I'll try to narrow the search down to 10 or so on the net and then go for a week long house hunting trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area