Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:58 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,205 times

Advertisements

Sometimes...life is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 PM

413 posts, read 782,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
Ignorance is bliss. at least they are happy in their narrow mindedness. lets give um some credit.
I support George Bush since 2000 and receive death threats on a regular basis from "tolerant" and "open-minded" folks, "keyboard warriors" from New York and California.
Lubbock is what it is, a conservative town for conservatives, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:09 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Default Moving to Lubbock from Philly

A young lady that I hired to teach for me in Abilene moved to Lubbock from Philadelphia. She tells the stories really well. Her parents were Church of Christ missionaries, and they wanted her to go to a Church of Christ college. She chose Lubbock Christian, after getting scholarships from there. But, she never visited Lubbock prior to moving there for college.

Here are a few of her perceptions:

1) After she saw the landscape, she realized that none of the pictures in the Lubbock Christian catalog were taken outdoors. She felt like she had landed at the end of the world.

2) When going into the airport, her seatmate asked her how she was going to get to LCC from the airport, and she stated, "I will just take the subway."

3) She was amazed that everyone had a "pick up truck." Even the girls.

4) But she loves West Texas now. She says that she has never met such nice people as those she met in Lubbock. And she tells me that she learned that people are more important than scenery or subways. She said that people in Lubbock always helped her whenever she had a problem. She was amazed that if she had car trouble (after she finally got one) how people would stop, help, and refuse money. She moved to Abilene to work on her Masters at ACU, and she tells me she will never move back "up north."

Old 03-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Tht's a neat story!!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:15 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
I support George Bush since 2000 and receive death threats on a regular basis from "tolerant" and "open-minded" folks, "keyboard warriors" from New York and California.
Lubbock is what it is........
Don't let the out-of-staters get to you. I guess they're not quite living up to their word. But welcome to Texas. Glad you came here. We're glad you're here. You can stay here as long as you like.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
A young lady that I hired to teach for me in Abilene moved to Lubbock from Philadelphia. She tells the stories really well. Her parents were Church of Christ missionaries, and they wanted her to go to a Church of Christ college. She chose Lubbock Christian, after getting scholarships from there. But, she never visited Lubbock prior to moving there for college.

Here are a few of her perceptions:

1) After she saw the landscape, she realized that none of the pictures in the Lubbock Christian catalog were taken outdoors. She felt like she had landed at the end of the world.

2) When going into the airport, her seatmate asked her how she was going to get to LCC from the airport, and she stated, "I will just take the subway."

3) She was amazed that everyone had a "pick up truck." Even the girls.

4) But she loves West Texas now. She says that she has never met such nice people as those she met in Lubbock. And she tells me that she learned that people are more important than scenery or subways. She said that people in Lubbock always helped her whenever she had a problem. She was amazed that if she had car trouble (after she finally got one) how people would stop, help, and refuse money. She moved to Abilene to work on her Masters at ACU, and she tells me she will never move back "up north."
Good post, James, and good story. Lubbock may not have subways, but they can always get light rail sometime.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 PM

189 posts, read 628,700 times
As the wise saying goes.... "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Lubbock is what it is, a conservative town for conservatives, and there is nothing wrong with it.

frog in slow boiling water syndrome

Old 03-24-2008, 04:48 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,238 times
I ride a motorscooter in Lubbock fulltime. I like the combination of low cost and fun. I wish alot more people would do it too. Not in a save the planet way, but more of a get off foreign oil/you don't know what fun you're missing way. But doing this in Lubbock makes me a fulltime eccentric. I'm not one to back down so I put up with the comments and head shaking. Folks here won't loudly berate you or physically attack you for doing something different, unless it's immoral, but they will marginalize you. You can find that attitude everywhere to some extent I guess. But I've lived where others are riding scooters and bikes and motorcycles everywhere you look. It's a reaction to high living costs. Those that don't will still be very supportive. That's the frustrating part of living in a place like Lubbock for me. People spend alot of money to have that nice truck or SUV and can't understand why I'm not in debt up to my neck doing the same.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 PM

We have motorcycles here like you would not believe several times a year. HOG rallies are common and we roll out the red carpet!! The noise gets complaints of course but the festivites are either a week long or for week ends only. The people who come in on bikes are wonderful to work with and they do their thing without making trouble. WE hardly EVER see news reports about them getting into hot water. WE have local clubs also. You gotta come here sometime and see how fun it is for them. You'll never wanna leave!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock