Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 28,969 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Lubbock TX this summer. Can anyone tell me anything about it at all? Do they have a zoo? Is it a safe city? Obviously its hot in TX but is it a dry heat or humid? What are property taxes like? Are there lots of things for kids to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM

189 posts, read 628,909 times
Lubbock does get pretty hot during the summer, but it's a dry heat. There isn't a zoo there. There is a science spectrum, a small amuzement park (called Joy Land), and a water park (called Water Rampage) for kids to enjoy. There are also nice parks around town with playgrounds. There are lots of sports teams your kids can get involved with during the summer. Lubbock is a very friendly town with some great schools and teachers. I lived there for 17yrs and taught for 7 yrs there. I still have family there and visit, so I still know about what's happening in Lubbock.
Lubbock is a safe city. Of course, there are some parts of town you wouldn't want to live in.... but a realtor would let you know where. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a message. Hope you like it like I did, if you choose to move there!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:39 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Now's The Time

Now is a good time to be in Lubbock. The city is about to celebrate 100 years since it was founded and incorporated (I have a separate thread on that subject elsewhere on C-D). This is a growing community and it is very dynamic, yet there's an easygoing feel to it and it possesses a small-town charm. Everyone I've talked to when visiting there is friendly. The best places to live in Lubbock right now are the northwest and southwest sides of town. There are plenty of amenities there and Loop 289 can get you around the area in a matter of minutes. And the areas around Texas Tech University are experiencing a rebirth. You'll have about 300 days of sunshine a year.

I encourage you to give it a go!!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,905 times
I lived near Lubbock most my life and I recommend it also worked in Lubbock and enjoyed the parks and stores they have and great food.esp. the tex-mex.theirs a lot to see and do in Lubbock.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
We lived in Lubbock a few years and really enjoyed it. There are definitely 4 seasons but none of them extreme. There is no zoo, but the museum at Texas Tech is great. And there are many programs and plays at the college that are open to the public and very reasonably priced.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,847 times
And now for the rest of the story! If you like wind you'll love Lubbock. Makes for some serious dust storms in the Spring.. Tornadoes are a very real possibility here thru most of the Spring and early Summer. And while in many places people move out of the city into the country to enjoy the fresh air and scenery, in Lubbock it's the opposite.. For lots of grass and trees you really need to live in town. Other things to consider are the low wages here, the crime rate, yes we do have crime, the focus on Texas Tech football. Lubbock has an excellent airport, traffic is very reasonable most of the time, there are friendly people here, some nice amenities like several multiplex theatres, a Barnes and Noble, generally good shopping and a good selection of restaurants. It's pretty conservative, pretty religious, pretty much no nonsense type of place. Hope this helps!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 PM

Default There's Wind All Right -- The Wind Of Change

And, still, the growth is coming. For the first time, Lubbock is experiencing a growth in the area never seen before. I mean, a serious new spurt of growth. It's not a Houston or an Austin type of growth, but it's on a smaller scale. But it is coming. Laugh if you may right now, but it will soon become the next hot growth area in Texas, if not one of the next. There's no zoo now, but I'm sure someone will notice and take steps to change that. They do need one. But this is certain: Growth is here and more is coming. And it's not so bad. As a matter of fact, it's exactly what Lubbock needs. The city appears to be working at overcoming an image problem and slowly changing people's perceptions of the city. I like it, and I truly believe it's got a chance to be something special and unique.

Just stay tuned, folks. Texas' other music city is going through some big-time change.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I like Lubbock OK, although the wind (and the dust) would get old. As a professional musician, I'd like to know more about the 'music city' claim. I know it has a history, but what's going on now?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:43 AM

Thumbs up Music Scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I like Lubbock OK, although the wind (and the dust) would get old. As a professional musician, I'd like to know more about the 'music city' claim. I know it has a history, but what's going on now?
I'd like to look it up some more, myself, but you can start with the Buddy Holly Center exhibits. If you go there, you'll get some historical artifacts. But there are some legendary names associated with Lubbock music through the years. And I don't have to mention Buddy Holly to you; we all know about his connections. I mentioned Mac Davis in another Lubbock thread, and he's from there. He even sung about it in one of his songs. Waylon Jennings (from Littlefield) got his start in country music in Lubbock. Bob Wills is also from that region. Joe Ely also comes to mind. Here are some others with Lubbock connections: Larry Gatlin (from Midland originally), Tanya Tucker, Jimmy Dean, and the Dixie Chicks.

So, there is a little bit of notoriety here. But make no mistake, the city has a thriving music scene today.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 AM

24 posts, read 84,099 times
Unhappy I miss the wind!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
And now for the rest of the story! If you like wind you'll love Lubbock. Makes for some serious dust storms in the Spring..
If you live there long enough and move away you might just miss that wind!

Be sure and wear your earmuffs during the winter as that wind can get cold. I was there a few years back in December/January, and the wind chill on the day we left was -16F.

What I wouldn't give to hear a 'skirt alert' on the weather forecast where I live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock