Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
Well said, High Plains! I don't see what the fuss is about Lubbock being a conservative town. Is that such a bad thing?
There's nothing wrong with that at all, people! It's not the be-all, end-all. And I'm a Republican, and I'm saying that.

Quote:
And as far as scenery goes... you can travel if you want lots of trees. OR plant them and have your own beautiful garden like my parents did and still do have. Their yard looks like a yard you would find in San Antonio (only without fire ant mounds). They have nice big oak trees, golf-like green grass, lots of flowers, etc. You can have a yard like that, but you have to water it..... unlike the more humid places in TX. Just get a sprinkler system and then you are set. There really are some beautiful neighborhoods in Lubbock.
Now... if you want a great lake to go boating in... you may have a problem there. Yes, there's Buffalo Lake and a lake in Ransom Canyon.... but not a big public lake. (There's a fee to enter Buffalo Lake.)
Lubbock has a nice airport, public parks with great playgrounds, Texas Tech, musicals and concerts, etc. The climate there is wonderful! The dust storms do happen, but VERY rarely. It can get windy, but you get used to it. I lived there for 17 yrs and loved Lubbock.
People who have never lived in Lubbock have no idea what a great town it is. They don't have much to compare with if it's just looks. You have to get to know the town to appreciate it. Scenery isn't everything. As the saying goes.... you can't judge a book by it's cover. I didn't think much of Lubbock at first. We had to move there when I was a kid (due to a job transfer)... but after a few years... I grew to love and appreciate Lubbock for what it is.
Which is why I say, what you just said, never judge a book by its cover. Dive on in, explore a little, and you may be surprised. I'll be back (well, as soon as gas prices go down), and I'll take my camera just like last time, and try to catch some new things. Because that's what will be going on in the city from here on.

New things.

By the way, if you want to get to a lake, Lake Alan Henry is sixty miles away, but from what I've seen, I think you'll enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Well said, High Plains! I don't see what the fuss is about Lubbock being a conservative town. (as other posts have said) Is that such a bad thing? Having your kids grow up in a town like that?
I suspect this is the real issue that irks many of the posters. Asking what people think of a town in a blog is a bit like those annual "Best Places to Live" surveys that are supposed to be so unbiased. Lubbock probably received its kiss of death from the dishonest liberal circles when then-President George H. Bush said he loved the town. Lol!

Unfortunately, my daughter only spent a few of her younger years in Lubbock before my job took me elsewhere. I guess the experience was good for her though as she has strong morals and is conservative. She now lives at Albuquerque but wants very badly to move back to Lubbock for the sake of her children.

I have never driven out to Lake Alan Henry but I see the sign everytime I drive down to the Interstate at Roscoe on the way to visit family over near Lufkin. Yes, I will indeed check it out someday.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 AM

210 posts, read 972,187 times
I went to college in Lubbock-as a foreign student.
It is a lovely place, but for me the lack of nature was hard
I also found the residents to be overly religious
other then that, people are very nice and friendly

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
I went to college in Lubbock-as a foreign student.
It is a lovely place, but for me the lack of nature was hard
I also found the residents to be overly religious
other then that, people are very nice and friendly
Julia,

May I guess that your major study at Tech was not biology? I grew up on a farm in the lush pineywoods of deep east Texas yet two degrees in biology at a SW university in New Mexico taught me that the seemingly barren grass prairies and deserts of the southwest are teaming with a diversity of interesting lifeforms and full of nature. Most of the species are like the folks who live on and love the Texas High Plains. They are tough and adapted to a very special way of life.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 PM

146 posts, read 520,552 times
i live about 30 minutes from lubbock it has everything that we need but everytime i watch the news theres always somebody being killed and a couple of my friends with apartments on the nice side of town had them broken into and everything taken. everything but the crime i like about lubbock

Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
i live about 30 minutes from lubbock it has everything that we need but everytime i watch the news theres always somebody being killed and a couple of my friends with apartments on the nice side of town had them broken into and everything taken. everything but the crime i like about lubbock
Lubbock does have a slightly higher crime rate than the rest of the country, but the Lubbock newsstations like to focus on it because it makes them feel like they are in a big city. The funny thing is that all of the big cities have better things to report than crime.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 PM

32 posts, read 82,438 times
I have never spent a lot of time in Lubbock but my opinion of it has always been much more favorable than some comments that are heard about it. I have considered it as a regional center of the panhandle. It has a major university and good air service compared to many cities of similar size. With about 200,000 population, it is a reasonable sized city. Scenic areas of New Mexico and Colorado are not far distant. The trips that I have made to Lubbock have always been pleasurable.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 PM

Default An international airport with no international flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Strange. Sorry you went through that. That's an international airport, not a municipal one. I'm sure things are a little different now. They're served by only three airlines, but 6 pm seems awfully early.
I've heard the Lubbock International Airport is classified as an international airport simply because the international classification was never dropped after eldest son of the former Shah of Iran used the Lubbock airport in the 1970s to fly in and out of while he trained as a jet fighter pilot at Reese Air Force Base. I know that when I lived in Lubbock in the 1980s there were no international flights in or out of Lubbock International.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default But What If?

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I've heard the Lubbock International Airport is classified as an international airport simply because the international classification was never dropped after eldest son of the former Shah of Iran used the Lubbock airport in the 1970s to fly in and out of while he trained as a jet fighter pilot at Reese Air Force Base. I know that when I lived in Lubbock in the 1980s there were no international flights in or out of Lubbock International.

It deserves the title, HPR. I just have a little bit bigger dream. The airport's location is just too close to downtown, plus the surrounding development isn't really adequate in greeting visitors to Lubbock, despite plans for a great new business park right off of Yucca and I-27. When Reese shut down, city leaders should have saved that property for a future airport. There's nothing at all wrong with planning ahead. That site would have been perfect, with the runways still intact and a potential terminal that could have been put together just to the east. They would have had to demolish a few buildings and remnants from the old base. But with the Reese Technology Center development going in, an airport now no longer looks feasible, at least from the area closest to FM 179 and Levelland Highway. They need to save that empty land just to the north of it for future use, and there is serious potential. Lubbock/Preston Smith IA would make a great commuter airport or business airport or even a cargo airport if they ever plan such an idea. That would be cool if a new airport ever gets built out west. As for now, though, it'll suffice for now with what it has, but it's just too dadgum close to downtown, and I-27 North seriously lacks in amenities, including gasoline service.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 7,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
here is a list of what many kids do in Lubbock:

Go to church.
Get GW's brand of abstinence-only education
Go to church.
Have a C-section & paternity test before taking driver's ed
Go to church.
Call the girlfriend to tell her that he's p***in' razor blades.
Go to church.
Stereotypes are, by definition, untrue. Not *everyone* in Lubbock fits the stereotype. There are agnostics here, there are artists here, there are all kinds of people--just like everywhere else. Let's not indulge in stereotypical, simplistic thinking. It's boring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock