Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 AM

12 posts, read 88,413 times

Advertisements

My Husband is being based at Robins AFB, we are going back and forth about living on and off base. Which one is better? We can't deicde, both has its advantages and disadvantages. Please help! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 AM

744 posts, read 1,210,911 times
Like all things in life it is personal preference. I liked most of the Base housing when I was in the Marine Corps. I balanced out the safety factor and since my wife also worked on base the commute vs anything out in town could offer. I also had one duty station where the housing allowance was enough that I found a real decent place in a great neighborhood and was actually able to add to my savings every month. So I think you need to ask yourselft what is actually important to you personally and base your decision on that. And I would like to take this opportunity to Thank you for your service and sacrifices.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 AM

12 posts, read 88,413 times
Since we have two young daughters 4 years old and 1 month old, we were thinking about living on base for saftey issues. I was reading online the cities around where we are moving to arenn't very safe. I'm worried about having our families visit. Will they let them on base to stay a few days? Also are non military people (like me) able to get a job on base?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,261,685 times
While safety on base is the best, the town Robins is in, Warner Robins, has many very very safe areas. It is consistently rated in Business Week's "Best Places to Raise Your Kids".

Based on your post, I am making an assumption that this is your first duty post. If this is the case, the allowance for housing for young enlisted is usually pretty low and staying on base often allows you to get more house than you could get out in town. As you get up in rank, often the housing allowance allows you to get a nicer place in town.

One more thing to think about...if your husband is deployable (and most are) and you have young children, you will find your support system much stronger on base to help out while your husband is deployed.

Just my opinion of course, but until a military spouse is a "veteran of deployment" I recommend living on base unless you think of yourself as the ultra-independent wife who would not need any support or friends in the same situation. Most young military spouses are thankful for the support and understanding of those in similar situations (without their spouse in a far away town without extended family)

As far as the rules on base, the family isn't an issue and many of the jobs on base are available to non-military, but the competition is stiff and I wouldn't bank on it.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,034 times
Wow! I had to delete my last post. My lap top keys stuck for some reason. Ugh! I write for examiner.com on local military issues and answer questions as to moving and where to live all the time. I am also the wife of a retired Marine and suggest, as the above has, that you stay on base for a bit. There are great home deals out there right now, but it might be best to stay on base until you're settled and familiar with the area, first. You can always move off base later.You can go to www.waitinghearts.webs.com (http://www.waitinghearts.webs.com - broken link) for local military information which concentrates on bases around atlanta. As for working on base, sure. You can apply and if they have openings, you can certainly work on base, sweety. No problem. You can have civilain visitors as well! They simply need to get a security pass at the gate of the base and they should be fine. They must show ID and proof of vehicle insurance, though. My son is stationed at WR right now and he loves it. If you have any questions, look me up at examiner.com and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Welcome to Georgia an thank you and your husband for your family's service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: