Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 PM

9 posts, read 11,174 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I will be moving to Madison from Europe soon. Can you please advise of a nice place to live/rent in Madison.

Hoping for:
A single house
Nice area
Commuting distance to Fitchburg
Dog friendly
Lake front would be nice but might be too expensive

Would be grateful if you could advise where to avoid.

Thanks in advance
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black123 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I will be moving to Madison from Europe soon. Can you please advise of a nice place to live/rent in Madison.

Hoping for:
A single house
Nice area
Commuting distance to Fitchburg
Dog friendly
Lake front would be nice but might be too expensive

Would be grateful if you could advise where to avoid.

Thanks in advance
J
Price range?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Obviously the cheaper the better but around 1500 but would push to 2000 if it meant the right place.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,399,354 times
It is very hard to find single houses for rent in nice areas. It is not likely you'll find one on a lake at all. If you do a search on the forum for Madison and avoid, you will find lots of threads discussing what areas to avoid.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
You can find something in the upper end of your price range, sans the lake view. I would do searches online to see what's available and then pick somewhere that looks like it would work for you. Once you have some options, come back and ask about specific areas. Madison is too big to go over every single nice and bad area.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:32 PM

We have decided on Fitchburg could you please avoid where avoid in Fitchburg
Would prefer a single house to an apartment so looking for a nice neighbourhood

Old 03-28-2014, 06:42 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,399,354 times
You probably won't find a single-family home for rent in Fitchburg, but a real estate agent could match you up with a home owner who needs a renter until their house sells. You have a better chance of finding a duplex.

You want to stay south of Caddis Bend on Fish Hatchery, southof DawleyDrive on Seminole and east of Verona Road. The north side of Fitchburg has a lot of crime.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 AM

14 posts, read 35,179 times
I rent a single house (4 bed, 2 bath) for $1400 a month on the near west side of Madison in a nice area. I found it on Craigslist. It isn't run by a manegment company, just by the owner and friends. This makes it cost less, but also makes repairs a bit more adventurous! I have a dog and my place has a fenced yard. No lake view but I am a mile walk from the lake.

I think you can find a house or a duplex in your price range and in Fitchburg or near it, but more likely with a private owner than with a management company. Check Craiglist and Trulia to find them. The hardest part will be to find a house that allows dogs. I had trouble, and ended up only having 2 options (the other was a westside duplex for $1200/month, much smaller, ok area but not necessarily nice). However it also seemed easier to find a house to rent with my 50 lb dog and 2 cats than an apartment!

How soon are you moving? I have seen some rentals in your price range on Trulia that are available soon.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 PM

Thanks for ended up with an apartment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison