Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:29 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I never had a lobster roll.

I was wondering what they were all about--I pictured some kind of special bread, like a crepe pancake or like a chinese egg roll.
This is basically it (just whatever you do, don't add any celery! ):

http://timeinthekitchen.com/wp-conte...-1013x1024.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 05:52 AM

783 posts, read 1,574,856 times
Oh my goodness, lovemaine!!! That photo is torturous! I want a lobster roll for breakfast!!! But with celery, please!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
This is basically it (just whatever you do, don't add any celery! ):

http://timeinthekitchen.com/wp-conte...-1013x1024.jpg
i hope that roll was toasted, because if it's not, you can't call it a lobster roll

Old 06-12-2010, 10:48 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Oh my goodness, lovemaine!!! That photo is torturous! I want a lobster roll for breakfast!!! But with celery, please!
You'll have to bring your own in a little plastic bag.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
I happen to like celery in my lobster roll and I was born and raised in Maine. So there. And when we move back this summer, I'm going to make a huge lobster roll chock full of celery and send it to Mainah.

But I won't send him one made with this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...ipe/index.html

Cucumbers???!!!

Last edited by lawmom; 06-12-2010 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I happen to like celery in my lobster roll and I was born and raised in Maine. So there. And when we move back this summer, I'm going to make a huge lobster roll chock full of celery and send it to Mainah.

But I won't send him one made with this recipe: The World-Famous Maine Lobster Roll Recipe : : Food Network

Cucumbers???!!!
Where it will be fed to my CAT! Though even she will pick around and leave the celery......so there.
I'm not anti-celery. I like celery...in tuna SALAD sandwiches for example...not lobster rolls... like 98% of the rest of Mainers.

That recipe is for lobster salad not a traditional lobster roll. There is a huge difference. Traditional lobster rolls are lobster meat , mayonnaise, (or in some cases Miracle whip) lettuce(or not) and maybe a dash of paprika....that's it. Anything else is lobster salad and you can put okra and hot peppers in lobster salad for all I care. Just tell people if it's a traditional lobster roll or lobster salad. While we're on irritating sea food related terms that out of staters can't seem to understand the correct pronunciation of the word scallop is scALLop not skALip!

Last edited by Maineah; 06-13-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 01:45 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
And thats not just the sea creature "scallop".......the creamy potato or corn casserole.....gets the same treatment......I got so I said skalip for either when I was away from home....inorder to be understood.

But altho Dad was a Maine Man......part of my formative years were spent in RI.....and to me a "clam cake" is a peppery clam fritter eaten with lots of ketchup.......I know that is wrong....but thats the way it is.......and I like both chowders....RI and New England...they sure are different....but both good...and the flavor of chorico or linguica goes with sea food to me.

I agree no celery in my lobster roll but celery in lobster salad.....good distinction.

Last edited by elston; 06-13-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 AM

To the person who told me in my reputation comments that no real Mainer calls hotdogs frankfuters you obviously don't know the difference between a hot dog roll which is a single baked roll sliced on it's side and a frankfuter roll which are baked together and sliced from the top. Frankfuter rolls are the most common roll used for hotdogs and lobster rolls in Maine. NOT hotdog rolls . There is a big difference in taste and texture. Please do your homework before you accuse people of not knowing what they are talking about.

Last edited by Maineah; 06-14-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
And thats not just the sea creature "scallop".......the creamy potato or corn casserole.....gets the same treatment......I got so I said skalip for either when I was away from home....inorder to be understood.

But altho Dad was a Maine Man......part of my formative years were spent in RI.....and to me a "clam cake" is a peppery clam fritter eaten with lots of ketchup.......I know that is wrong....but thats the way it is.......and I like both chowders....RI and New England...they sure are different....but both good...and the flavor of chorico or linguica goes with sea food to me.

I agree no celery in my lobster roll but celery in lobster salad.....good distinction.
I like both New England and Manhattan style chowders. The difference is day and night. I had some really good Manhattan style clam chowder in San Francisco a few weeks ago but I KNEW what it was before I ordered it. DW got some not so good New England style clam chowder in San Francisco (on a friend's recommendation) as well. He thought she'd be impressed with how closely it resembled what he had grown up with here in Maine. He asked her what she thought and she said "it's interesting and hot."
That was as polite as she could be in saying she didn't care for it. It was an odd green color, had way too many spices in it, sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and lots of CELERY! What is it with the celery??? I helped her eat it instead of sending it back. It tasted OK to me but was certainly not what we would call New England style clam chowder.
They had clam cakes there too that were what you describe elston. Peppery clam fritters. I don't care what they called them they were delicious!
We also picked up some Dungeness crabs and made crabmeat rolls and crabmeat omlettes for breakfast! Those crabs look just like our big red crabs but are about three times the size of what we would consider a big crab. Really packed with meat and very good. They should be full of meat at $12.00 a pound! Half a Maine Lobster was $60.00 in a restaurant on Pier 39!!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Now on the subject of chowders.......do mainers use sea clams/quohogs or soft shell clams for chowder. Again learning to cook in RI....I like the quohogs for either style chowder and love them for stuffies. Do Mainers make stuffed clams....or is that more typically RI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine