Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,566 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm moving up to the county within two yrs ... I bought 36 acres on Gendreau rd. I want to put 3 bd 1 1/2 bath
Indoor arena Paddocks.
Was wondering about using shipping containers. Anyone know of good welders and framers plumb and electric??!!! Thanks
Be seeing u all soon. Codes and laws?? I want off grid too solar wind.
Help.
My thought is to open horse rescue and hippotherapy on site possibly.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
There are a lot of good welders etc. in the area. There was some debate in the Legislature about using shipping containers for housing.....not sure how it ended up.
Did you mean hypnotherapy?

Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
No he means hippotherapy, or therapy for hippopotami....

Jk. Hippotherapy according to google is speech therapy that uses equine (horses). Not To sure how a horse can help me speak, i assume it might help with stuttering, but am not to sure.

For me a horse is a work animal, and transportation. A wild horse is a useless horse.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Most of Maine is Unorganized Townships [UTs], so most of Maine allows straw bale houses, yurts and underground bunkers.
What about wigwams, teepees, and igloos...?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
i thought i was funny...

Old 04-20-2016, 07:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Yes I see what you did there.

The OP asked about a county. Maine Counties do very little. When LURC was formed many normal county functions were given to LURC. Organized towns do their own planning, zoning and possibly code enforcement. But organized towns are in the minority. The majority of towns in Maine are unorganized, so these duties go the LURC [now called LUPC].

Zoning in Unorganized Towns are handled the same in all counties.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,566 times
I see I'll be with a lot of comedians. That's great. What I mean is rescue as in from the killer trucks taking workable and even throw away show horses to be slaughtered mostly Inhumanely .. Retraining them to assist paraplegic and trauma emotionally and physically challenged With therapy. So double save. Oh ye of little faith... I've trained them all my life. They're good for ones soul. Most
Civilizations have been built on their backs. Have alittle respect. We are all just animals. Right??
Thanks for the vote of confidence ...I'm a commin.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:58 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
That's great, I do refer clients for equine therapy and I know how great the animals can be for people.
Look forward to having more of it.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:05 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
There are no county building codes in Maine. Every town does its own thing. It is called "home rule" and the freedom astounds people who come "from away". Some towns go nuts with building codes and zoning. They want to be like Connecticut. I went down there to give a girl scout troop a sled dog demonstration. Each girl got to ride behind a sled dog team. A lady stopped and went absolutely nuts, screaming at us. It turns out that using a dog as a "beast of burden" is illegal in Connecticut. Who knew? She went off to call the police and we ended our outing early. You can run a sled dog team in Maine.

Our town has no codes. We have the national building code as a reference. No need to reinvent the wheel, but we have a lady who is building a straw bale house in our town. There are no codes for straw bale houses. She has a building permit and she is doing exactly as she wants. We like freedom.

CAUTION: If you want a Connecticut style town that has strict code enforcement and a crew of enforcers watching what you do, you can find one in Maine. If you want freedom, we have that too. Some people are uncomfortable with freedom. They don't know what to do with it and they need government to reassure them throughout their lives.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 05-07-2016 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 05:41 AM

Reminds me of that guy on the tv show mountain men in NC who had to fight the state inorder to keep his camp running, as his buildings didnt meet modern "codes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine