Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:46 PM

131 posts, read 410,866 times

Advertisements

Today we got lobsters and we were going to have them for dinner tonight but something came up. Will they still be good if we wait until tomorrow to cook them? Any suggestions on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 03:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
just put them in the fridge, they should be fine, if cooked tomorrow, (dont place them in a ziploc bag(they could suffocate) and dont place ice on them)

hard shell lobsters are heartier, than softshells, or shedders, but even softshells will last a couple days in the fridge

Old 07-10-2010, 03:19 PM

131 posts, read 410,866 times
Great, thanks for the advice. I did a little investigating and everything I found on the web said they would be ok in the fridge for a day.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,598 times
This is one of the reasons (cholesterol being another) I became a vegan. I remember boyhood days in Lewiston, driving down to Bailey's Island, buying a few lobsters, then boiling them alive for Sunday dinner. Ever watch them scrambling to get out of the kettle? I don't remember them screaming but the struggle to get out was bad enough, then watching as they gradually turned red. Sorry, if I was there I would buy them from you then figure out how to set them free.
Bill (SoftHeart) Palmer

Old 07-10-2010, 05:21 PM

428 posts, read 554,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmer View Post
This is one of the reasons (cholesterol being another) I became a vegan. I remember boyhood days in Lewiston, driving down to Bailey's Island, buying a few lobsters, then boiling them alive for Sunday dinner. Ever watch them scrambling to get out of the kettle? I don't remember them screaming but the struggle to get out was bad enough, then watching as they gradually turned red. Sorry, if I was there I would buy them from you then figure out how to set them free.
Bill (SoftHeart) Palmer
The truth is that lobsters have a very rudimentary central nervous system. The "screaming" is steam escaping from the shells, not cries of anguish. They do not feel pain. You can kill them just prior to boiling by inserting a pin or knife in the brain, but that is not necessary. They will "scream" whether alive or dead, but I would NOT eat lobsters that are not moving (i.e. dead) at the time I start cooking them.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 PM

973 posts, read 2,382,665 times
This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw today..."If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw today..."If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"
Good point!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmer View Post
Bill (SoftHeart) Palmer
It might be that cholesterol isn't something to worry about.

It could be the lack of Omega 3 fatty acids in the diet of people in the developed world that is the real problem.

For example, Eskimo food is not only fatty, but very high in Omega 3 fats, while the diet of the developed world has little or no Omega 3.

That should make you think.

And when you find a similar correlation for low heart disease in cultures around the world that are high in Omega 3s, you should start to think even harder.

The Leonard Lopate Show: The Vanishing Youth Nutrient - WNYC (http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/2009/sep/02/the-vanishing-youth-nutrient/ - broken link)

Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,184 times
We steamed lobsters for the first time a few weeks ago, and I know for a fact that they don't scream. Nuff said...

Old 07-11-2010, 06:08 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,333 times
Before you start to cook them, don't forget to remove the rubber bands from the claws; it's said
that the cooked rubber might add a foul taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine