Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 PM

6 posts, read 11,375 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been offered a job in Augusta and is considering relocating to Maine from DC. She has a small Jack Russell and would like an apartment in Hallowell or Gardiner. Does anyone know of anything she can look into? So far we haven't been able to see much online. It's kind of hard to find a place when you are so far away. She doesn't know anyone in Maine.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmljm View Post
My daughter has been offered a job in Augusta and is considering relocating to Maine from DC. She has a small Jack Russell and would like an apartment in Hallowell or Gardiner. Does anyone know of anything she can look into? So far we haven't been able to see much online. It's kind of hard to find a place when you are so far away. She doesn't know anyone in Maine.
Thanks!
try calling vallee property management in hallowell
207-620-7500

Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Thanks, I emailed them this afternoon, but haven't heard anything yet. She will need to give an answer to her new employer tomorrow or Friday, and will have to move in two weeks. Not knowing if you can find a place to live is a little scary. I happened across this site so I thought I'd post on the chance someone might know something. From what I have found out, apartments are scarce in Maine, or at least that area. We are from the Phila. and DC areas, so we are not used to that situation.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 AM

71 posts, read 173,556 times
When we moved here I scoured the classified ads for an apartment. I'll be honest, it was difficult finding an apartment that allowed dogs. She may want to broaden her search beyond those two towns to maximize her odds of finding a suitable place.

Good luck in the search!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,659,397 times
Quote:
Thanks, I emailed them this afternoon, but haven't heard anything yet.
When he previous poster suggested calling them, I suspect that is what he meant. It seems that many here in Maine respond better to a phone call, and tend to check email less frequently or give it less weight.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
When he previous poster suggested calling them, I suspect that is what he meant. It seems that many here in Maine respond better to a phone call, and tend to check email less frequently or give it less weight.
Its not just in Maine. Its also in Pennsylvania and California.

I think that email has become so ubiquitous and over used for everything that the personal touch has disappeared. Young people who apply for jobs have the mistaken view that they no longer need to put themselves out enough WITH a simple direct voice contact with a prospective employer, let alone an actual visit.

So the bottom line is that if you want to make yourself known, you have to telephone, and or even more often actually make a physical visit.

The reality is that just as you don't have to spend more than about 15 seconds sending an email to a prospective person, its just as easy for the person the delete your email as someone who didn't have the time and INTEREST to make a direct contact.

Email is great for use with people you already know quite well. EMAIL IS ALMOST WORTHLESS FOR MAKING NEW CONTACTS.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 AM

I did call them yesterday and they had nothing in Hallowell or Gardiner. Only one house and one apt. in Augusta that would allow her small dog.

I'm not sure what her decision will be about this job. She has to decide today and is very conflicted about it. The work is what she wants to do, but going so far from family and friends to an area of the country that is so different from what she knows is a bit scary for a young woman on her own. She has lived in Washington, DC for 8 years since college graduation and grew up in the phila. area. She is used to having something to do or someplace interesting to go all the time (museums, concerts, restaurants, outdoor markets, etc). I know she will have to look at this a a new and exciting experience and expect things to be very different as far as her life-style goes. Hopefully she will be able to meet some other young people to do things with. And then there's WINTER! That's a whole other matter.

Oh well, thanks to you for trying to help. I'll let you know what she decides. If she decides to come to Maine you'll probably hear from me again!

Laurie

Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 AM

356 posts, read 704,481 times
It sounds like she'd be much happier and have more luck finding an apartment in or around Portland. It's an hour commute, but the traffic isn't bad. Or she could try Brunswick, which is a very cute town and a little closer than Portland.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,470,603 times
Default Craigs list

Quote:
I did call them yesterday and they had nothing in Hallowell or Gardiner. Only one house and one apt. in Augusta that would allow her small dog.

I'm not sure what her decision will be about this job. She has to decide today and is very conflicted about it. The work is what she wants to do, but going so far from family and friends to an area of the country that is so different from what she knows is a bit scary for a young woman on her own. She has lived in Washington, DC for 8 years since college graduation and grew up in the phila. area. She is used to having something to do or someplace interesting to go all the time (museums, concerts, restaurants, outdoor markets, etc). I know she will have to look at this a a new and exciting experience and expect things to be very different as far as her life-style goes. Hopefully she will be able to meet some other young people to do things with. And then there's WINTER! That's a whole other matter.

Oh well, thanks to you for trying to help. I'll let you know what she decides. If she decides to come to Maine you'll probably hear from me again!

Laurie

Might be too late but I just found this one:

CLEAN APARTMENT (http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/1909354368.html - broken link)

It does say it's pet friendly, it's in Famingdale which is right between Gardiner & Hallowell. The place looks decent enough to me, I'd be fine w/my daughter in it. The price is certainly affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine