Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times

Advertisements

Like others here, went through Hugo, no joke. Also worked for a state agency for years, often had to go "down east" (Eastern NC) to assist staff after 'canes over the years. They are nothing to joke about or take lightly. I've been in a few earthquakes in Kalifornia, and New Zealand, prefer them to hurricanes. Their saying it will make landfall in NC, east of the I-95 corrider.Won't hit here in the Piedmont Region of NC. Y'all batten down the hatches, and stay low. I want to meet ya when I come up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Wow you guys sure know a lot more than I do. I do agree after reading what some of you here told me that it's to dangerous to run in my apartment and the gas would smell as well as be very dangerousthank you for your help.

I think I will check around for a batter operated generator. Something I can plug in that will store up and charge the battery then run a refrigerator for at least a few days. This way it won't need gas/oil or anything dangerous not to mention smelly to run on. I have egress lighting in the hallways but that's about it as far as electric failure.
Apartment? Battery to run fridge for a few days?

Forget it. A fridge draws a lot of current when the compressor kicks on. Unless I have somehow missed some impressive leap in battery technology, I doubt you would find something like that. Even battery backups for computers, which draw less current, last only a few hours at most.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 AM

48,113 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I am believing .... but am still watering my garden this morning .... there is a part of it that is so drought stressed....I can't chance it that we will get torrential rains on Fri or Sat....and if we do....it is all good.....the earth is so dry so deep.

So my prayers are for safety for those at or near the sea....strong houses for those in the winds way.....stout trees along the power lines....and good neighbors for those who are in need. Hang on and hang in there.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 AM

473 posts, read 714,472 times
well- morning comes, new plan. smaller boats are coming out of the water today. take a look around the yard to see if anything can go sailing around in the wind. will try to tidy up our preperations today as we live on a dead end road with mostly summer homes and old retired folks, so we will likely be checking in on them to see if they need a hand with anything tomorrow. depending on if the track holds, may take the kids out of school early or even keep them home so they can help out neighbors if needed.
now just have to wait to see which tide it will hit on. yesterday it was coming in on the ebb, now, that may be changing. but then, its changed so many times since monday i'm sure we wont know whats really going to happen until it actually gets here. makes it hard to plan.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
Gonna hit the Outer Banks tonight, Wilmington, NC.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM

263 posts, read 625,907 times
The Pirates still invading Lubec saturday?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Hurricane WARNINGS are now posted for Cape Cod Massachusetts and a Tropical Storm Watch has been posted for coastal Maine and New Hampshire. Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are under a major hurricane warning at this time. Still too early to tell where Earl will track as it approaches Maine though the consensus is we will see more wind and much higher storm surges that previously forecast. .... Earl is the first Category 4 storm to be this far north (Carolinas). The national Weather service in Caribou has posted a preparations statement for people in Washington County. Google NWS Caribou and click on the map of your area. NWS Gray has done the same for South Coastal Maine. They are telling people to prepare for this serious storm. Haul boats, secure docks and if you live on a boat to secure it in safe harbor and seek shelter on land. Google NWS Gray and click on your area for warnings and updates. Keep an eye on this serious storm.

Last edited by Maineah; 09-02-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Default Hurricane coming up coast

washingtonpost.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VAX0...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE7Vu...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLml7...eature=channel

This is what's happening further south of you.

Even though you may not live on the coast, high winds coming inland can obviously knock out your power. The most dangerous thing is downed power lines that you may not see, so keeping pets and kids indoors is wise. A friend of mine lost her husband when he fatally stepped on a live downed wire while responding to a car in distress.

Does anyone know what the best thing to do is when you are in your car and you come in contact with a downed wire? Stay in car, attempt to get out...what?

PS: This is the GIS map of the Nat'l Hurricane Ctr: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2...large#contents
It does not say the time it was posted today

Last edited by RiverBird; 09-02-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Probably abit trivial in light of all the other dangers of a hurricane. One little thing if Earl hits Maine and you have Zucs in your garden pull the developed ones off the plants. The large leaves of the plant will incur heavy damage from the winds. Last summer we had a wind event and all my zucs were destroyed. Save what you can. Same for tomatoes and corn.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
newenglandgirl said:The most dangerous thing is downed power lines that you may not see, so keeping pets and kids indoors is wise. A friend of mine lost her husband when he fatally stepped on a live downed wire while responding to a car in distress.

Does anyone know what the best thing to do is when you are in your car and you come in contact with a downed wire
?Stay in car, attempt to get out...what?

Stay in the car and don't touch anything metal. Usually the downed line will ground out in a few minutes and blow the circuit breaker further up the line from the broken line. Wait until someone tells you it's ok to exit the car!! Don't attempt to GUESS if the line is dead or not. Most of the 10,000 volt lines on top of power poles are bare. You can get electrocuted touching any part of a bare wire. As your friend's husband tragically found out the power will ground through you if the wire is live.

A wet tree touching the wire can be just as deadly. STAY far away from downed lines and trees touching power lines. Call the power company if you see broken lines or trees leaning on them.

You should not be out driving around during a storm anyway! Stay in the house until the storm passes and you're sure it's safe to go outside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine