Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Windmills and solar technology as we know it today are just a passing fad used by the moonbats and those who are taking the tax payers for an expensive ride with our money. Angus King is neck deep in all of this. This is all I need to know. The taxpayers foot 80% of the bill with no right of financial return, while enriching the investors, win or lose.

Wind energy will leave Mainers, the nation, shackled to a heavy weight | Guest Columns

Independence Wind | Principals (http://independencewind.com/principals - broken link)

Gov. Angus King: Wind Power Person Biographical Entry: The Carbon Capture Report
True. Angus King has been indoctrinated into the Al Gore school for Green energy. The only thing green is the money they fleece the public out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 09:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I have read a lot of superstition over the last few years about wind power. Nobody has ever been able to show me where the Maine legislature has ever voted to spend any taxpayer money on wind farms. The various wind power companies have paid all the application fees and reimbursed the various agencies for the costs of administering the application process. It's the typical old Maine government approach to new business. They make it difficult to start a new business. We hope to change that on November 2.

If a landowner wants to lease part of his land to a wind power company that's his business. If a wind power company wants to spend $2.2 million per tower, multiply that out to the number of towers per project and that's a whole lot of tax revenue the towns and counties will gain. There are numerous projects in various stages of completion today. As usual, the various green groups are trying to extort funding from the companies in order not to oppose this new business in Maine. The competition between the various green groups is fun to watch because they want the money, but they hate business except for pottery shops, art galleries and crystal trinkets.

The same folks who oppose wind power also oppose hydro dams, nuclear plants, coal plants, biomass plants, and wood pellet manufacturing. I invite anybody opposed to wind power to show me any budget item where Maine taxpayer dollars are going to subsidize wind power.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:31 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I would hope that the ones going up in Maine are made in the USA. They are probably of the much larger type. Other than them being loud to the ones that live close to them, and a few bird deaths, I don't hear much about them. I seriously doubt that ME could possibly have enough spots to put more than 13 thousand. I hear Freeport has a lot of wind?
I have heard "rumors" that they were built in Denmark, but I have absolutely no idea where to confirm that.

Nonetheless, this is a list of turbine manufacturers that I was able to find.

Large Wind Turbine Manufacturers in the World by Business Name

Old 10-23-2010, 12:33 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I have heard "rumors" that they were built in Denmark, but I have absolutely no idea where to confirm that.

Nonetheless, this is a list of turbine manufacturers that I was able to find.

Large Wind Turbine Manufacturers in the World by Business Name
I heard China has been taking over the manufacture of those windmills, like everything else.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have read a lot of superstition over the last few years about wind power. Nobody has ever been able to show me where the Maine legislature has ever voted to spend any taxpayer money on wind farms. The various wind power companies have paid all the application fees and reimbursed the various agencies for the costs of administering the application process. It's the typical old Maine government approach to new business. They make it difficult to start a new business. We hope to change that on November 2.

If a landowner wants to lease part of his land to a wind power company that's his business. If a wind power company wants to spend $2.2 million per tower, multiply that out to the number of towers per project and that's a whole lot of tax revenue the towns and counties will gain. There are numerous projects in various stages of completion today. As usual, the various green groups are trying to extort funding from the companies in order not to oppose this new business in Maine. The competition between the various green groups is fun to watch because they want the money, but they hate business except for pottery shops, art galleries and crystal trinkets.

The same folks who oppose wind power also oppose hydro dams, nuclear plants, coal plants, biomass plants, and wood pellet manufacturing. I invite anybody opposed to wind power to show me any budget item where Maine taxpayer dollars are going to subsidize wind power.
I oppose wind projects due to their impact of the general scenery of an area. Their footprint covers vast amounts of land. I don't think they are a good mix for the Maine landscape.
People should have hydrogen fuel cells in their back yard and generate their own power. No more public utilities to manage ever!
Take down all the transmission lines, poles and buried cable. On site power with zero pollution.. To me that's the best course.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:43 PM

I have visited four sites in Maine. The access roads are about the same size as any logging road. The footprint of each tower is the size of a usual logging landing or smaller. A logging road or landing is portrayed as "vast" by some in an effort to prevent logging. The Boston Globe ran a weekend edition feature last spring bemoaning a very nice selective cut harvest of five acres as being too big.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have visited four sites in Maine. The access roads are about the same size as any logging road. The footprint of each tower is the size of a usual logging landing or smaller. A logging road or landing is portrayed as "vast" by some in an effort to prevent logging. The Boston Globe ran a weekend edition feature last spring bemoaning a very nice selective cut harvest of five acres as being too big.
I don't want my opinion of wind farms misconstrued and lumped in with the NIMBY'S, eco-nuts and, tree huggers. I just think windmills are not particularly attractive. As far as envrionmental impact goes they are better than damming rivers. But no where near as efficient as other alternatives.

I think they're probably a pretty good alternative for island power and an off shore wind farm wouldn't offend me. I'm just not happy seeing them all over the tops of mountains.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:07 PM

They are the least efficient source of power. Nuclear, hydro, biomass, natural gas, coal and even oil are more efficient in about that order. That said, the PTB think we are going to have a major shortage of oil not too far in the future. We have more proven oil reserves in the world today than ever before. However, we may experience a disruption of supply if Iran gets too enthusiastic and clobbers Israel.

As to attractiveness, an engineer bought a camp on a lake in the Lincoln area. Before he bought it he wanted to be sure he would be able to see the windmills. My sister was here for a week and she found them to be "pretty and graceful".

By the way. the huge piles of dead birds under the windmills that we were warned about have not occurred. There are lots of deer tracks and moose tracks directly under the wind mills. The game has not been scared off.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:13 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
My take on the windmills is that it is a nice experiment to try to see what kind of energy they will produce. I think they are 'neat' to watch. They aren't all that noisy either.
My real grip is the subsidies that the companies are getting from the gov't to build them. Please see today's BDN for some discussion of this.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:22 PM

I have followed this subject with interest. There has been some discussion about potential government funding for offshore wind power studies. I have not seen where such funding has actually occurred. I have never seen where any state funding has occurred in Maine. I can't speak for other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine