Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 AM

19 posts, read 95,026 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are very excited about this trip. We are driving up from NJ on Thanksgiving, we've got a 6 or so hour drive up, we will be arriving in Portland probably before midnite and staying until our check-out time Sunday morning.

We are looking to move out of Jersey in a couple years and considering Maine an option... so here is our first visit!
We both feel we don't get enough snow in NJ, amongst a myriad of other reasons why we are looking to go north

So I am posting here in hopes of getting a lil inside insight that might make our first trip visiting awesome
Our agenda is 1/2 vacation and 1/2 about seeing if we like the real local (not touristy?) stuffs going on there...

We are both 29 and not into the bar or church scene.
We are willing to travel within about a 50-mile radius of Portland to check stuff out, over Friday the 26th and Saturday the 27th, returning to our hotel each nite.

Here is a list random questions:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. We hear you guys do the blueberry thing well
Is it good season to find something fresh deliciously blueberry? where?

2. A good restaurant- possibly with fresh seafood? -On the bay with a view of incoming ships?

3. A good safe place to check out the nighttime starlit sky?

4. A nice scenic drive loop thru small lakeside towns?

5. A glimpse of a undeveloped rocky beachline to freeze on for a couple minutes while admiring its beauty?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

We are checking out a tree-lighting on Friday night, and also heard there is some sort of free carriage rides thru downtown Portland this weekend.

Thanks for reading this post
and sorry if it was kinda long!
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Welcome.....I hope tht you have a great vacation.....the walk around Prouts Neck across from the Black Point Inn is a wonderful scenic sea shore walk..... Prouts Neck Cliff Walk - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/therichbrooks/sets/72157623574621010/ - broken link) to park you need to go to the desk in the Black Point inn and pay a small fee...which can be applied to a meal in their gorgeous dining room.

Another gorgeous beach walk is to go to Two Lights state Park.... two lights state park - Google Search

both Prouts Neck and Two Lights are within 12 mins of down town portland.

Blue Berries are a fall crop.....but diners (Becky's Diner in Portland...will be sure to have blueberry pancakes..... Seafood.....Portland is all about seafood.....you will have no trouble finding seafood.....

The lights of portland will obscure some of the star lit sky....but go to the top of monjoy hill in portland for good views of casco bay!

Portland has started putting up some of its xmas lights and it is charming.

I hope that you have a good visit and productive one.

Walking around the "Old Port" is fun and there are lots of unique little shops and boutiques.....for xmas shopping!

LOL you arent into bars or churches......Portland has a very nice little art museum if that is of any interest to you.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
For seafood right on the water try DeMillo's Restaurant which is actually a ship right there on the water at the edge of the Old Port area. Freeport is about a 20 minute ride up the coast from Portland and Bath and Brunswick are also not far. You might want to check out the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath. I hope you have a great time and good weather. One Thanksgiving my family had dinner at the Stroudwater Cafe within the Embasy Suites on the Airport road. They did a super job and was very reasonable price.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:11 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Take a walk around Mackworth Island in Portland Harbor. It's accessible by a causeway. I was there today.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
One Thanksgiving my family had dinner at the Stroudwater Cafe within the Embasy Suites on the Airport road. They did a super job and was very reasonable price.
We were probably there. We used to eat there often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine