Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,187 times

Advertisements

Moving to Caribou from Texas, what can I expect other than freezing my southern assets off, lnao hows yalls fishing up their and are the rentals vary expensive. looking foreword to the move....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 11:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Last I heard, the Salmon fishin' in Texas is horrible!!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:53 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Salmon fishing in Caribou sucks as well.

Depends on what type of fishing you are used to. Big bass - not going to happen in Caribou like Texas. Stream fishing for trout - better than Texas. The fishery in Maine is bizarre really. In the Caribou area (I'm talking Van Buren to Houlton) 95% of the bigger fish you catch in a river or stream will be Brook Trout, with a VERY small number of other species making up the other 5%. Lakes are a mixed bag if you have a boat or canoe. Overall fishing is more relaxing and enjoyable because of the solitude. If you go strictly for catching fish -- big fish, limits full and then leaving; then it is going to be a disappointment. If you fish to enjoy the beauty of the lake/river, and the wildlife you will see, and to just get out and have a relaxing day; then you will have a blast. In the area very close to Caribou my favorite places to do fishing were: The small reservoir on the Little Madawaska River with a canoe; walking the Little Madawaska River anywhere, with my favorite spots being on either side of Route 1 for a couple miles; Cross Lake and the thoroughfare between it and Square Lake.

Can't really say about the rental situation anymore. I owned for the last 10 years I lived there and didn't have to keep track, and now have been gone for almost 3 years.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
You can find some great fishing spots within an hour or so.....and you will not be crowded by others fishing those spots either. There are some great spots up in the Debouille preserve, which is about an hour away by 4 wheel drive. But I live right in town in Caribou, and I can throw a rod in the river a half mile from my house......
You can catch some huge muskie in the St. John watershed, which is also an hour or so away from Caribou.
Ice fishing is a big deal here too......

Rents are fairly easy to find in Caribou, and you will pay around $500 for a decent two bedroom apartment or house, plus utitilities. A really nice unit might be closer to $600 or $700. (Of course it would be less if you are elderly/subsidized/etc.)

Hope that helps!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:34 PM

sounds like I need to change out my tackle after i get settled in up there...Were is the closes Veterans hospital up there?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Salmon fishing in Caribou sucks as well.

Depends on what type of fishing you are used to. Big bass - not going to happen in Caribou like Texas. Stream fishing for trout - better than Texas. The fishery in Maine is bizarre really. In the Caribou area (I'm talking Van Buren to Houlton) 95% of the bigger fish you catch in a river or stream will be Brook Trout, with a VERY small number of other species making up the other 5%. Lakes are a mixed bag if you have a boat or canoe. Overall fishing is more relaxing and enjoyable because of the solitude. If you go strictly for catching fish -- big fish, limits full and then leaving; then it is going to be a disappointment. If you fish to enjoy the beauty of the lake/river, and the wildlife you will see, and to just get out and have a relaxing day; then you will have a blast. In the area very close to Caribou my favorite places to do fishing were: The small reservoir on the Little Madawaska River with a canoe; walking the Little Madawaska River anywhere, with my favorite spots being on either side of Route 1 for a couple miles; Cross Lake and the thoroughfare between it and Square Lake.

Can't really say about the rental situation anymore. I owned for the last 10 years I lived there and didn't have to keep track, and now have been gone for almost 3 years.
I heard about y'all trout sounds like Im in for a good time..

Old 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erniepage View Post
sounds like I need to change out my tackle after i get settled in up there...Were is the closes Veterans hospital up there?
There is a VA clinic right in Caribou; they offer almost anything you would want for services I think.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:04 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There is a VA clinic right in Caribou; they offer almost anything you would want for services I think.
The hospital is down in Togus, near Augusta.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,291 times
Default How goes the move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniepage View Post
Moving to Caribou from Texas, what can I expect other than freezing my southern assets off, lnao hows yalls fishing up their and are the rentals vary expensive. looking foreword to the move....
How are you liking the move so far? the fishing? im contemplating a move to texas from fort fairfield and would like your opinion on it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine