Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:08 PM

9 posts, read 11,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Forester? I drive a Jag and a Town and Country. Are you going to be jealous of me, too?

CoolMoose, old boy, methinks you are a troll and attempting rile up and otherwise polite and intelligent group of posters all with the common interest of helping others make their move to one of the USA's most incredible state; one that still has uncharted territories and unsettled lands, ferocious oceans and shoreline and a tenacious population of humans intent on surviving on their own for the most part. I'm going to part ways with this thread only because it's not contributing much to the conversation in my own opinion. I hope, however, that you find peace with your neighbors and learn some selflessness and benevolence. Life is too short to go through it with a chip on your shoulder. Once again, just my two cents.
"Difference is here, everyone knows your business in Maine. Maine is like one giant neighborhood.

Good luck with your perfect and stellar life. I hope Maine toughened you up a bit."

Toughened me up a bit. What does that mean? Does that mean I shouldn't be outgoing with you folks? Does that mean that I should distrust Mainers?

Here's a good example of what im talking about that outsiders have to "take shat" from the Mainers if they want to stick around. Ive said my piece, and its all true. Im not trolling. For the most part like I said, the OP is correct.

The mainers think I need to learn selflessness and benevolence, but it is the mainers who are predatory and hateful with their jealousy toward outsiders. Distrustful at best, predatory at worst.

There is a general vibe in this state of 'F the outsiders.' It's just reality. Has anybody seen the movie Deliverance?

Last edited by TheCoolMoose; 12-30-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 01:13 PM

But, it has probably been like this since the state first started, and complaining about it is useless. Its just something people from out of state need to realize.

I can infer early Mainers hated the outsiders coming up from Massachusetts and the rest of the colonies. Probably considered them snooty, boston city boys.

Last edited by TheCoolMoose; 12-30-2017 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 01:52 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolMoose View Post
"Difference is here, everyone knows your business in Maine. Maine is like one giant neighborhood.

Good luck with your perfect and stellar life. I hope Maine toughened you up a bit."

Toughened me up a bit. What does that mean? Does that mean I shouldn't be outgoing with you folks? Does that mean that I should distrust Mainers?

Here's a good example of what im talking about that outsiders have to "take shat" from the Mainers if they want to stick around. Ive said my piece, and its all true. Im not trolling. For the most part like I said, the OP is correct.

The mainers think I need to learn selflessness and benevolence, but it is the mainers who are predatory and hateful with their jealousy toward outsiders. Distrustful at best, predatory at worst.

There is a general vibe in this state of 'F the outsiders.' It's just reality. Has anybody seen the movie Deliverance?
I don't doubt what you've been saying. Hell, I'm as local as it gets, and I have been in a few Maine towns that even weirded ME out a bit!!
If you can get beyond that "first layer" of Maine natives, you're golden. You will be treated like gold. But getting beyond that first layer can be a bit tricky sometimes. (Unless you live in a place like Portland, where half the people are from away anyways).

Oh, and you touched on the origins of this dynamic. Way up here in the County, where survival was EXTREMELY hard 150 years ago (even 100 years ago), locals HAD to know that any people coming in were made of the right stuff. There was little room for error, if you will. (More recently, over the last 50 years, there have been a number of horrific murders perpetrated here by outsiders......by scum, if you will. I am NOT saying that locals don't ever do the same thing, but it's a pretty peaceful place; so crimes like this by outsiders really impact people. Another point: thousands of people who served at Loring Air Base ended up settling right around here. They really like the area. Also, the Amish have moved in recently.....they really like it here. I do know things might be different in some parts of Maine).

Last edited by maineguy8888; 12-30-2017 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 03:11 PM

Im sure I offended some people by my anecdote, and for that I apologize. Im not trying to be rude.

If anything positive can come out of this, you all inspired me to purchase my first hand gun, and exercise my right to "constitutionally carry" in this state.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:59 PM

217 posts, read 200,036 times
Quote:
Im sure I offended some people by my anecdote, and for that I apologize. Im not trying to be rude.

If anything positive can come out of this, you all inspired me to purchase my first hand gun, and exercise my right to "constitutionally carry" in this state.

Good on your new gun! Can’t do THAT in Kalifornia without a SWAT team all over you!

Anyway, I see you just joined and welcome! I moved here in 2015 from NC. Prior to that, I lived in sunny San Diego for some 25 years. Aside from some very local “traditions”, my experience has been that folks are generally the same wherever you go. Aside from being a bit more relaxed, I haven’t changed much and I never have felt the need to change since moving here. More the opposite, I feel as though I fit in here better than anywhere else I’ve lived.

Anyway, I see you easily make friends, so don’t be shy and post often!

Old 12-30-2017, 04:47 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
I think TheCoolMoose needs a set of "Nordic Walking Poles." They are been recommended for others in this forum before.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post
Good on your new gun! Can’t do THAT in Kalifornia without a SWAT team all over you!

Anyway, I see you just joined and welcome! I moved here in 2015 from NC. Prior to that, I lived in sunny San Diego for some 25 years. Aside from some very local “traditions”, my experience has been that folks are generally the same wherever you go. Aside from being a bit more relaxed, I haven’t changed much and I never have felt the need to change since moving here. More the opposite, I feel as though I fit in here better than anywhere else I’ve lived.

Anyway, I see you easily make friends, so don’t be shy and post often!
I know, right. Commiefornia is pretty lame! The funny thing is, I never felt like I needed to carry.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:46 PM

217 posts, read 200,036 times
Quote:
The funny thing is, I never felt like I needed to carry.
Never felt you needed to in California? Man, I sure did and I left way back in 2003. Only reason I feel the need here is on a hike in the mountains.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:22 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
I grew-up in California and I hunted a bit. But I never carried in public there.

Here in Maine, we have bobcat and coyote on our property sometimes. One time while hiking something attacked my dog, I am not sure what it was. It bit her tail and clawed her rump. After that I began carrying when I go for hikes.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:39 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
I have thought many times about getting a gun (used to have one). Mostly for sport shooting.

But I never get around to it. A New Year's resolution: get one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine